Realistic Military Jargon

Knick

Hi, first time post, long time lurker, and all that.

Is there anyone who can give a brief glossary of military jargon that would be appropriate for fan fiction? It's easy enough to look up slang, not so easy for more official language that would, for example, be included in military reports.

Thanks.

How about some military cock-talk. I know lots of that... Things like 'Its not rocket science' and 'don't have a drama'

Actual military phrases? Well now they're harder to come across... The real military hides deep within the bowels of the world and sends us poor enslaved minions out to do its dirty work.

Just make stuff up... I'm pretty sure thats what the real military does anyway!

It all depends upon the context, though the military, like any other bureaucracy, has a lot of doublespeak and phrases that are about as clear as mud. Official documents will be quite officous and formal, with no slang, not even military stuff.

I guess military speak would include slang, jargon, and so on. Whateve would make a story (or report) more realistic. I'm more interested in, for example the difference between an official report and a first hand account or debriefing.

It all depends upon the context, though the military, like any other bureaucracy, has a lot of doublespeak and phrases that are about as clear as mud. Official documents will be quite officous and formal, with no slang, not even military stuff.

And then you compare the officious phrases to what a soldier would say when reporting to a superior. . .

It is a help to be able to make up slang for X-Com!

• 3 months later...

muppet (clumsy)

muppet-armed (Clumsy with your hands)

Fraggle (Useless or stupid person)

"Why don't I get you a cold can of concrete so you can harden the F*(Happy happy joy joy)** up?"

Carpet-bagger (A person who just pulled a fast one)

Going jack (Not helping your friends)

Jack-rations (Your own food that you brought with you. Thats fine, unlike actually 'going jack' which is never appriciated)

Two-way firing range (combat zone)

Pink mist (Head shot)

buckets of bullets (A high rate of fire, typically used when withdrawing, magazines are emptied in constant bursts by the men closest to the enemy, reloading on fallback)

Arse-end arnold (The guy at the back)

Bongo's, as in 'Get your bongo's on' (Soldiers equiptment, usually webbing, occasionally webbing and rifle)

Brass up, as in 'Brass/ed 'em up' (Shot them. Refers to the brass casings ejected from the rifle)

Gong (Medal)

Fruit salad (Multiple medals)

Bird shit (The ranking pips on an officer, most often used when speaking of an officer one has a low opinion of)

Musket, pitchfork, gat (Rifle)

Thats about all I can think of for now. Enjoy.