First scary moments on TFTD

Dumb_Commander

I think the scariest moments I had were generic aquatoid missions when I first started playing. It was the long periods of silence and build-up, to that music, which created killer suspense, while in truth I had no idea what I was doing. I resorted to game saving after every turn.

Before I started playing myself, I was entranced by watching my dad play it, shortly after the game first came out. He was playing scout ship with lobstermen but, for whatever reason, he was still stuck using the default equipment from the X-Com supplies. Anyway, I think he somehow cleared all the lobstermen with the exception of one or two in the ship, which was on an open plane. As his troops approached in a large circle, however, they were picked off one-by-one, as the lobsterman peeped out of the door of the ship, took a shot, and disappeared back inside again. During this time, the lobster was subject to a tremendous amount of opportunity fire from Jet Harpoons and Gas Cannons, but to no avail. Finally, after losing about 5-6 troops, my dad struck upon the idea to throw a proximity mine in front of the door. Of course, at this I had no idea what a proximity mine was, so you'll have to imagine the novelty factor, but at the end of turn, there was the sound of a door rattling open, a loud BOOM, then something that sounded like a wounded elephant as the lobsterman disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Suddenly, from being quite tense (we had been playing so long that the room was now dark) we pissed ourselves laughing.