Questions from a newcomer

PPharoah

I was able to get a lot of help in going forward. However I had some questions as I don't want to get too far into my first game and have game-ending problems surface later if at all possible.

I read that we shouldn't build tracks to every mine but to every base, I only have Stuttgart and Riga right now, I build two sections of tracks between them, but I am still at a negative and it seems I am not getting any production from the Riga base. Should I have waited longer till I had more mines to connect the two?

I am unable to build ANY weapons or ammo, I can only build ordinance factory, and basic weapons factory.

I can only manufacture light armor and helmet. When I click on show unavailable techs it shows the other techs and some of them have a red x through them, I figure I shouldn't be able to research those yet but how do I get access to the basic weapons lab and things I need to make ammo that don't have red xs thru them?

Thanks for any help!

I would try to explain it but I never figured it all out myself. :phew:

I just kept researching and adding more and more available stuff but never got any way to manufacture ammo for conventional weapons or even the guns themselves until I had killed enough enemies to build up a nice stockpile. It is just as easy to level your troops take on a lot of Cult missions and collect all their nice gear.

My suggestion is read a lot of the glossary info and don't build anything other than Knowledge Buildings and Labs until you are sure you have things to manufacture lined up or in the process of researching them.

I have as many Colleges as I have Labs & Factories. Which creates a huge increase in resources. Its a balancing act and your game style dictates what you should research and manufacture first.

Remember if you make a bad choice or change your mind you can always roll back to a saved game. Which I would recommend doing a lot of, saving that is. Save every mission start and before making huge changes to the Geosphere. This way you can experiment with the tracks and your expansion.

And the best part is things change when you go back. I restarted twice and was pleased to see things unfolding differently each time. That said there are a certain amount a triggers built in that advance the storyline and game-play into new areas. As long as you read the PINNED topics you should be fine. :D

I would try to explain it but I never figured it all out myself. :phew:

I just kept researching and adding more and more available stuff but never got any way to manufacture ammo for conventional weapons or even the guns themselves until I had killed enough enemies to build up a nice stockpile. It is just as easy to level your troops take on a lot of Cult missions and collect all their nice gear.

My suggestion is read a lot of the glossary info and don't build anything other than Knowledge Buildings and Labs until you are sure you have things to manufacture lined up or in the process of researching them.

I have as many Colleges as I have Labs & Factories. Which creates a huge increase in resources. Its a balancing act and your game style dictates what you should research and manufacture first.

Remember if you make a bad choice or change your mind you can always roll back to a saved game. Which I would recommend doing a lot of, saving that is. Save every mission start and before making huge changes to the Geosphere. This way you can experiment with the tracks and your expansion.

And the best part is things change when you go back. I restarted twice and was pleased to see things unfolding differently each time. That said there are a certain amount a triggers built in that advance the storyline and game-play into new areas. As long as you read the PINNED topics you should be fine. :D

Yeah I read them before I posted, still cant build libraries colleges or schools in Riga:( Can't afford the tracks either and when I did that I had to go back to a saved game since I ran outta resources.

Are you building colleges, schools, libraries or all three? Or is one better than the others?

Yeah I read them before I posted, still cant build libraries colleges or schools in Riga:( Can't afford the tracks either and when I did that I had to go back to a saved game since I ran outta resources.

Are you building colleges, schools, libraries or all three? Or is one better than the others?

You can run out of resources. You just get a warning then another when the game temporarily shuts off your tracks for an hour or two of game time. Once your resource build up a bit it turns them back on.

And I think most people are using this strategy. Build a School. Once built start two Colleges. Then when they are finished demolish the School and use the slot for a Lab or Factory. Early in the game I must admit I didn't build very much of anything. The cost of buildings can be a lot when you don't have many resources to begin with. And demolishing them only gives you half back as a return.

The key is to budget it all and try not to waste a lot on unneeded tracks and buildings that sit idle. Knowledge Buildings seem to always say idle but when they complete construction you will notice a nice jump in resource income from that province and country (if you hold the entire country). Plus they help stop the Cultist propaganda from effecting that province or causing you to loose it completely. Though taking them back is just an extension to the tactical action.

You can run out of resources. You just get a warning then another when the game temporarily shuts off your tracks for an hour or two of game time. Once your resource build up a bit it turns them back on.

And I think most people are using this strategy. Build a School. Once built start two Colleges. Then when they are finished demolish the School and use the slot for a Lab or Factory. Early in the game I must admit I didn't build very much of anything. The cost of buildings can be a lot when you don't have many resources to begin with. And demolishing them only gives you half back as a return.

The key is to budget it all and try not to waste a lot on unneeded tracks and buildings that sit idle. Knowledge Buildings seem to always say idle but when they complete construction you will notice a nice jump in resource income from that province and country (if you hold the entire country). Plus they help stop the Cultist propaganda from effecting that province or causing you to loose it completely. Though taking them back is just an extension to the tactical action.

Yeah since I had just started the game I didn't get any resources I needed from mid to high level as I didnt have any income from them, I haven't figured out how to connect stuttgart and riga by tracks yet, but theres a mine over there that would get me the mid-level resources.

Now if I can just figure out how to connect it without going broke.

Thanks for your help

I got library and college now but am still not getting the red resources I need to lay tracks:(

The "knolleged" buildings only increase the income of the materials the particular country is collecting. So if all of the mines in the country are just producing low tech resource, the "knollege" will only increase that resource.

In other words, the libraries, schools and colleges must be build in a base that is already collecting a particular resource if you want to increase it's income.

Alternatively, you can just trade with the factions for the resources you'er lacking until you can get a nice income on your own.

By what I've read, connecting to base where you're not planning to build anything yet and you don't own any of it's mining territories is a waste of resources.

Okay, about bases and income.

Each base is in a set geographical area. Their are several territories in each area, which will all have resource mines. While caputring a base is all well and good, you wont see a benifit track wise until you capture the surrounding territories.

Bases themselves don't collect resources, they collect resources from the geographical area (like say London collects for the british isles, which consists of England, Scotland and Ireland, (sorry Wales) so if you caputre England, you get the base, but if you don't take Scotland or Ireland you wont gain any resources for the base.

As a rule I don't connect a base untill I've caputred the entire region. Any base that connects to alien resources I make solely into a college only base, as these resources are (for me) the most rare.

Hope that helps

Okay, about bases and income.

Each base is in a set geographical area. Their are several territories in each area, which will all have resource mines. While caputring a base is all well and good, you wont see a benifit track wise until you capture the surrounding territories.

Bases themselves don't collect resources, they collect resources from the geographical area (like say London collects for the british isles, which consists of England, Scotland and Ireland, (sorry Wales) so if you caputre England, you get the base, but if you don't take Scotland or Ireland you wont gain any resources for the base.

As a rule I don't connect a base untill I've caputred the entire region. Any base that connects to alien resources I make solely into a college only base, as these resources are (for me) the most rare.

Hope that helps

Yeah thanks, so you build like 3 colleges there and no schools or libraries?

You need to build a school at a base before you can build a college. Unfortunatly, the college only works if you have the school as well, so you won't be able to just have colleges in the base.

You can make it all Colleges by first placing the School, then building two Colleges which will support the Knowledge Level requirements for each other. Demolish the School and build a third College. :)