Clips in guns disappearing after missions?

Tyro

Hi guys. Have you all noticed that keeping clips in guns causes you to lose them at the end of the mission?

It is a real pain going to every alien corpse to unload their guns for them (other than MC). As well as any clips in your own squad's guns.

Is there some means of preventing clips loaded in guns from disappearing after missions?

Sorry to say: no. I've tried the age-old practice of unloading partially used clips before the mission ends, but I still lose them anyway. (At least this is true for the CE and Playstation versions).

The only way to get more clips is if you conserve. Don't have your whole squad firing at a target. If half your squad gets off a shot, transfer those weapons over to the other members so that they can get some training too when they enter the UFO. In other words, maximize clip usage.

To get more clips from the aliens, you have to kill them before they take reaction shots or see your men. In other words: fight harder. Hit them below the belt and don't wait for them to make the first move.

However, playing aggressive has some risks so you have to weigh the cost of a few extra clips vs. a few less men. Things become almost too easy when you have Lasers and Psi though. Now you can take unlimited shots without worrying about clips, and mind control the aliens before they have a chance to shoot. :phew:

- Zombie

Losing partial clips can be a pain if you're running low on a certain type of ammo, otherwise ammo is cheap and easy to obtain.

Alien ammo in particular can be obtained in copious quantities after a few good missions, so you should never run out until they stop using the weapons - namely the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle. The Heavy Plasma never goes out of style.

My advice is to just not worry about it. The more you play, the more money and surplus equipment you obtain, the more you start to ignore the discrepancies in ammo recovery. You don't want to spend all your time worrying about a minor matter like this when you can be enjoying and playing the game. TFTD's ammo bug is more traumatic than it is in UFO.

About the only ammo clips that you may want to consciously save are the Blaster Bombs and probably the Stun Bombs. All one-shot weapons with relatively expensive ammo (3-4 elerium per round).

If it's really bothering you - use grenades, lasers and one-shot weapons like rocket launchers and small launchers.

- NKF

To clarify, clips in guns are only lost if they are used at some point.

Ah, I thought that all clips in guns at the end of a mission were lost. Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: Yup, I just tested it. Only used clips disappear. Unused ones in guns are still accounted for :phew: