Modding x-com into separate games?

crispy

I really know next to nothing about modding, but having seen what others have done (with map mods, uniform mods, weapon mods etc.) and I'm curious to know if it's possible to create an extensively modified version of x-com, but still retain the original, perhaps by renaming the .exe for the mod.

Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

For example, would it be possible to make x-com into a WWII game? (change the aliens into different varieties of german soldiers, remodel alien ships and bases as bunkers or fortresses, remodel the maps into 1940s Europe, change the skyranger into a troop glider, D-Day LST (landing ship) or some such). And would it be possible to somehow change the exe name so that I can keep playing x-com as it is, but play the modded game too.

I guess the question comes down to whether or not its possible to use the x-com game engine to create a new game. Can it be done?

You can use the existing editors to make the changes you described: hatfarm's editor for the .exe (allowing to change the text); daishiva's Map View for the maps and PCKView for the units and weapons, etc. Theoretically you could create a new game, although some things would be impossible to change, like the research tree. But it would require a lot of work, especially concerning the graphics.

As for playing both the original and the mod, why not simply have 2 folders for each version?

Would it be possible to use, say, X-Com: UFO Defense sprites instead of the Apocalypse ones or viceversa?

I think it would be possible if you converted Apoc's units to use the original UFO palette and kept the same dimensions. I've looked into adapting Apoc's terrain to UFO but the different colors make it a tricky proposition. As for using UFO's sprites on Apoc I have no idea how it could be done. There's an editor for Apoc' PCK files but i've never tried changing them.

Quite a while ago Inteck was having some trouble creating PCK images for bigobs. I (eventually) wrote a program that would do the job, and it also "re-colors" the images to suit the UFO palette.

The only possible catch is that it can only convert GIF files at the moment (chosen because they have a transparent color index).

But, if I could get hold of the specifications for the Apocalypse PCK format, it would be simple enough to convert those PCK files to UFO PCK files.

As for the WWII mod:

The changes you'd have to make to the resource files would be extensive. Any file modded, you'd need to have an original copy as well if you wanted to play the original game. You'd end up with so many duplicate files that it would, at the end of the day, be easier to just have two copies of the game on your harddrive. It'd still take up less then 10mb, if I'm not mistaken.

As for CREATING the mod, that would be the hardest task of all... Hobbes is the only one I know of who has remade the terrain files, not because he's the only one who knows how, but because it's so much work!

But, the best way to start off would be to create the units and tilesets, as that's where most of the work would be, and where the least amount of technical know-how is needed. To start you off, go to Daishiva's site and grab all his software. Use it to view the terrain images used in the game, then start drawing your own.