Battle Speed

Dalerian

Hiya,

I've read on here that it's best in Apoc to set up a defensive line, and let aliens come to you.

I'm just getting started in Apoc, and am consequently struggling with this advice. Last night, I set up such in a battle at someone's corp headquarters. The aliens appeared to lack any homing instinct at all. I ended giving up, and ransacked every square of the map. (The last two aliens were hiding in the filing room.)

The poppers I've seen in a couple of battles - never moved. The Spitters walked back and forth on the same squares. Multi-worms - well, these were the critters who spent a real-life hour hiding in a filing room ...

Am I doing something wrong by playing TB? Would this all go away in RT combat?

Admittedly, of last night's longer battle, probably 30 minutes of it was watching moronic civilians running around. Do I lose points for stunning them? If they can't move, maybe I'll save all that time...

(I was reaching the point of butt-striking one with an autocannon last night...)

Dal.

Oh crumbs, you've hit the very reason why I don't play Apocalypse in TB very much. Those damned civlians! ARGH. They could've solved this with an animation speed control, but no, they cunningly left that out.

And no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with stunning civilians.

If you find turn based draws the battle out too much, consider switching to real-time combat. And on the other hand, switch back if you feel the real-time combat's too fleeting. The civilians are just as infuriating in real-time, and their headless chicken routine is terrible. However, you don't have to wait for them to that or watch them do it, and that is truly a blessing.

---

Lining up and waiting for enemies to come to you works - it works brilliantly in pausable-real-time. But like all strategies, there's a time and place where different strategies work better than others.

- NKF

The aliens do put up a lot more fight in real time though, although in turn based cloaked devastator skeletoids are still demons

but in RT, anything cloaked can be horrid.

Yes, in TB though, most of the aliens are morons, just in RT the aliens move instantly, not on their own turn.

One of the better strategies is to unleash two heavy weapons(any kind will work, i prefer devastators) and then shoot in the general direction of the enemy. I have done that many times, sometime i tweaked my aim slightly so the shots would be aimed at the civilians, but not killing them causes losses on your side, so don't try and save them, if they are in the way, kill them

you dont lose too many points for their deaths