Crazy glitches

Sectoid_Leader980

Oh, I've had mutons on fire turn into female civilians just before they died on several occasions... :) I've also had one Sectopod die only to leave the remains of an X-Com HWP -- the funny thing is, my troops came in on a Lightning. I didn't have any HWPs with me.

Speaking of bugs: I noticed one rather interesting one a few hours ago.

It involves the item stacking bug.[1] It's done by stacking a stun-rod on top of your soldier's gun (or any other item) in one of your hand slots. Just pick up your gun, click on the arrow then put the gun back in your soldiers hands. It'll disappear. Pick up a stun rod and put it where the gun should be. If you click on the arrow again, the gun will reappear.

In the battlescape, you'll see the soldier carrying the stun-rod. Clicking on the stun rod will give you both the gun's firing menu and the stun rod's stun attack. Attacking an enemy with the 'stun' attack ends up killing them rather than stunning them. Of course it seems to vary depending on the original item it's stack on.

An ordinary stun-rod needs 30% of your TUs to use, but when stacked it needs 50%. I wonder if it's accessing the disabled 'bash' function?

I don't know how the damage of the attack is determined. It seems more powerful with certain items, but rather ineffective with others. On some non-combat items like the electro flare, it just gives you the standard stun-rod attack.

- NKF

[1] For those who did not know, the item stacking bug only work in versions of UFO (not TFTD) with the scroll arrow for the inventory items on the ground.

If you pick up an item, and click on the arrow button then put the item down somewhere, the item will get put down, but it will be invisible. You can pick other things up and put it on top of it. The next time you click on the arrow button the item will reappear. If you did this on the ground, the items will just reorganise themselves. This is great for putting multiple items down when the arrow button won't scroll to an empty bit of floor. If you did this in your soldier's inventory slots, both of the items you stacked will remain there.

Now, I really don't recommend using the stacking bug in any way or form, since it can cause the game to get unstable if you try to stack weird combinations of items in your hands and try to use them. Also, do note ven think of unloading a gun when one of these stacked items are still in your hand. You might also face the endless loop bug when moving an item from a stack but end up without enough TUs to move the item and at at the same time nowhere to put it down.

• 5 months later...
One time, with a Sectoid base defense misson, I stunned one with a stun rod, and it turned invisible. Then, when a unit moved near where it should've been, it reaction fired and killed him, and his corpse dissapeared. Then, I shot the area where the invisible alien is, it showed it's death animation, and then it's corpse dissapeared, too.

Invisible alien has happened to me too.

I was using auto cannon on a muton during a base defense. HE ammo caused smoke inhilation and he was pretty shot up. He eventually droped to the ground but my guys were still seeing him. Had to fire blindly at the wall behind him until I hit him enough for him to died.

The invisible alien thing is actually due to the item limit built into the game. If the number of total items (weapon/aliens) exceeds a certain value aliens that otherwise would turn unconscious due to injury simply still turn up as alive (worse: if you hit end turn they will fire back at you!). You have to kill end otherwise since the item table is full they will still be capable of interacting on the game because of the bug.

One other explanation I've seen for the invisible alien bug has to do with the paralysis damage. Being much greater than the unit's health. But I'm unsure, because that's normal...that's how you get stunned.

It might just be that the game messed up the unit's reference to what sprite to display when the unit was stunned (which is unusual, as a unit doesn't need to change it's sprite reference unless the unit's being zombified). If anyone has this problem again, could you send me a copy of the unitref.dat file from your savegame directory after you've saved the game?

These invisible aliens are easy enough to deal with as long as you remember to 'centre' on the unit and target the centre tile, which should get highlighted.

- NKF

In base invasion missions it gets really easy to reach the limit number of items (yours plus the aliens, with each large terror unit counting as four plus the items the aliens are carrying). When that happens any stunned aliens (either by injury or stun weapons) won't go down and will still show up to your soldiers while the bodies of the killed aliens will simply disappear and you'll only see the weapon they were carrying. You'll have to get rid of items with explosives in case you want to stun any aliens.

• 3 weeks later...
As i recall zombies are immune to stun damage. Another glitch is unloading a chryssalid and getting a large rocket. And is it a glitch when you go to a crash site to find all the aliens dead? Also what makes some terror sites have only a road, 5-7 aliens (no terrorist), and no civilians?