X-COM: UFO Defense book

Fox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has alot to be desired if you have read Hobbes work

https://www.geocities.com/aadlg/xcom.htm

You can find all his stuff at his own site at the above site.

If you like the game than definately try the terror site mods, they are a welcome change to the boring normal terror site.

I do not know if he read this book before or during writing of X-COM The Unknown Menace of not, but some of the stuff in the book jives with his story....

example the talk of the Artic base.....

It was a good fast read.

I've never read the Diane Duane novel. I've looked it up on Amazon and considered ordering it but the mostly not so good/acceptable reviews I've seen about it had put me off against it, plus the fact that it would not be a good idea to read it while I was writing my fanfic (unconsciously you end using other people's ideas).

I personally think her work was good. I've read the book about 4 or 5 times.

My only bad opinion of it was the fact that if you had never played X-COM before, you wouldn't know wtf she is talking about. She just didn't give much good backstory, and just sort of threw the reader straight into a war tale which the reader could very well not understand.

The story of X-COM is a long one, and can't really be put into a short read. Think of the book merely as a glimpse into the long tale.

The "official fanfic" was (IIRC) authorised by Microprose (sp?) and was available from their site (now long dead, IIRC) as well as several X-Com fansites. There was one main multi-part story arc, but there were also several short ones wriitten as a prologue to Terror from the Deep.

I've read it long ago, so I don't recall the author...

• 2 months later...