Copying templates

vs322

Hello All!

I've been trolling around here for some time.. lots of useful things, but know I need some specific help.

I am making a random map generator which chooses templates in a fractal manner (big ones divided into smaller ones that are divided into smaller ones in the same way...I can explain more to anyone interested.) Well my problem is I need to copy templates (I don't mean the "copies current variant" button; I need a whole knew template). So far I've come up with doing a select all -> new template -> paste. Which works, but is slow; I have many templates that for probability related reasons I need to copy them rather than make new varients of them.

Also has any one encountered an upper limit to the size that a template can be... I'm working with 96*96 ones and it seems fine, but I just wonder how big they can be made.

Thanks to all who help

-vance

Sounds like a great idea to me! Hope it succeeds!

I'm pretty sure the absolute template size limit is 256x256, but the largest I've actually played on is 128x128. I guess the limits are enforced to ensure the engine can cope with all the graphics, so a 256x256 might struggle depending on its complexity.

As for copying templates, I'm not sure. Hope someone else can help though as I think a random map generation feature would be superb! :huh:

You can copy structures (constructionparts) but not objects positions infos this way:

(This is good way if you want to copy many times (or database to batabase) but slower to only one copy...)

-in editor create new templates (samesize), exit editor and shut down SQL

-go to your mod folder and there to template folder

-copy the template(ID) where structures are and update with it your new templates(IDs) which you just create in editor

If you find out how to copy-paste objects positions in 'Windows'... let me know. If someone knows what is templates objects positions table in batabase there should be way to copy-paste them in new template with Blushell or Access...

That RandomGenerator is very good idea for 'justkeepshooting'-playing. I myself try to use variants in missions so there are unexpect events even for me (and variants can be done after years = updates).

Thanks KoMik,

I've thought about coping the templates in windows, but I want to use the copies in the same mod.

I have set up a system using about 22 templates each with 3-4 variants. All, but 7 of them just have sub templates. What I would like to do is copy those relationships; so I could have that all set up for different themed random map. (an urban, rural, suburban, ruined city, and so on).

What I'd like is to copy the 14 templates that just point to other templates then change which ones they point to at the last step. I'm not sure how clear I am being...

Well now that I've set up the system I just need to lay-out a couple 100 maps...At least enough to keep it interesting.

-vs

• 4 weeks later...
I am making a random map generator which chooses  templates in a fractal manner (big ones divided into smaller ones that are divided into smaller ones in the same way…I can explain more to anyone interested.) Well my problem is I need to copy templates (I don’t mean the “copies current variant” button; I need a whole knew template). So far I’ve come up with doing a select all -> new template -> paste. Which works, but is slow; I have many templates that for probability related reasons I need to copy them rather than make new varients of them.

Select template. Press Ctrl and drag template to any folder.