Graphics problems under WindowsXP

GregDude

I notice FilePlanet has a XCom/UFO download called "X-COM UFO Defence Game Client DOS" which is apparently a windows version of the game. I won't post the link because of the forum sticky warning. I do have the original game on CD, but I tried this version hoping it would be a new windows version, perhaps with some windows related improvements.

Anyway, when I run the game, the graphics appear, and the sound is audible, but the screen is corrupt. Its like every second line is wrapped around or such. Does anyone know how to get this version, or other version to work under Window XP? I havn't played the game in years, and wouldn't mind checking it out again.

Garbled graphics, eh? :D

First, go get f0dders fix. You can find it here.

Extract that into your UFO directory. Make sure you set the compatibility settins to run under Win95. To do this, right click on the fix icon and select Properties. Select the compatibility tab, than check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and make sure Windows 95 is visible. I have all the other boxes check-marked also.

Hopefully, that should work. If not, you can always disable your video card completely. That's what it takes for me to run X-COM. Good luck! :)

----------

CoreStaff and/or Admins: Please move this thread to X-COM Support. Thanks!

Thank you! That fix did fix the garbled graphics. However, the game now freezes after about 2 minutes, even with Win95 Compatability set. This freeze doesn't even respond to ctrl-alt-del. I also noticed the game uses the 60-75hz low res refresh rates which hurt my head. Anyway, thank you for your quick help. I might experiment with it a bit more before giving up. I don't think DosBox will work with the original game, but I might try that also.

Edit: Ah, I see there are some related posts in the X-COM Support forum you mention.

Just run DosBox...

After stuffing around with patches and windows versions, I did try DosBox. I installed my original game v1.3, patched it to 1.4 and it runs perfectly. The latest version of DoxBox is great, and my Athlon64 can emulate quite a few mhz now. I can view the game at 100hz (easy on the eyes), and so far, after trying a couple of missions, no issues have appeared.

Oh they will. They will. The game is riddled with bugs - there is no X-Com player worth their salt that has not at least experience a bug of some kind with the game. :huh:

But the most important thing is that you got the game running.

- NKF