Crazy AI and invisaible walls

damocles

Take a look at these:

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave88/images/SS31.jpg

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave88/images/SS32.jpg

The first pic shows a staircase, and the second is the same staircase but showing the above floor also.

For some bizarre reason, the path finding absolutely, completely, unalteringly refuses to walk across the middle set of stairs (centre of the images). It will do anything to avoid using those stairs. And when there's no other option, it says "path not found".

I've tried rebuilding them, I've tried moving them, I've tried different types of stairs. I;ve tried removing all walls and objects so there is only the stairs. It's like there's an invisible wall there.

Anybody else experience this and perhaps know of a solution?

Try this:

-Erase cellar under your structure...if I don't remember wrong it should help.

(remember also use UDfloors on lowest floor...but you already knew that :huh: )

-(or) Move walls away from stairs.

Nice major u got there...

It's not the cellar layer, and moving the wealls away fom the stairs didn't work.

It's really weird - there's an invisible solid wall that exists on every floor in the same place. I eventually got around the problem by moving the stairs around to the other side of the column and giving them more room. There are still annoying invisible walls, but now there is room to move around them.

Not the best solution ever, but it works. Sort of.

About that cellar layer...

I write this because I got feeling you got me wrong (and for others mod-ers out there):

I see you don't have height map-layer...or it is not visible...if there is no heigt map layer on your map template do this:

-Create Height map layer

-Select Cellar layer

-Use pointer (1st reply I write erase...but I mean pointer) cursor

-Then create cellar with pointer (3different size "boxes" as brushes available)

If you know how to lift heigt map (bmp-file) under building (foundation raise 0.?-0.? above surface) do it ... it might lift your problem a way ... I do it often because it makes buildings look better I think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tutorial ***LIFTING BUILDINGS*** for everybody:

1. Create bmp(indexcolor) file width and height 1pixel wider than your maptemplate

(48x64-->49x65pixels) use any "photoprogram" (I use photoshop)

2. Use brushtool to make "white box with black background" (white box must be as big as your buildings floor plan)

3. In editor create height map layer. Click middle box in that layer (...) to open height layer brush window. There give Max value (I use 0.3-0.4 when there will not be underground and when underground then 3.3-3.4 for 1floor and 6.3-6.4 for 2floors) and left Min value to 0 (when 1underground floor needed min value must be 3 or higher). Current Height value may left unthouched or give it same value as Max.

4. Next select Map/Import height map... and open your bmp-file.

5. Now check your template. Surface should be rised 0.? points. All floors should be now under surface and rised heights should be inside your "house". If surface have rised from wrong places (usually happens to me) then fix your bmp-file correct and try again...

6. Ok...Now if you update template...vola! Building have rised 0.? points over surface and there is foundation as like most real house do.

NOTE: Don't built houses too near edge because then they will not rise

NOTE2: After "height lift" all constructions parts and objects will be planted to max height

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Maybe you have tried all this)

I remember to have same kind of "solid walls" problem once (or twice) and solution was creating cellar in height map ...but maybe it wasn't. Next time when that appears on my project (and it will I know) I try to fix it and update this reply...

And I'm sorry for my bad english...c u