Solo Scout Problems.

Argonaut

Need some help. I am playing a solo scout and loved it. I am just playing with random encounters and have already reach level 9 without starting on any of the real missions.

Only problem is that my scout is unable to unlock chest or door, even if I equip him with lockpicks. I read about bashing / shooting chests or door, but cannot get it to work. I tried attacking (press A) with melee weapon, or shooting with pistol but it does not work.

Is there anyway I can open locked chests/doors by myself without bringing in a 2nd person?

Also, where can I find more shurikens? I got the 3 from the korean guys at the base, but already losts 2 of them in the random maps. There is a map with Ninjas (the katana map), but I am not strong enough to solo it yet. So, how can I get more surikens then?? They are deadly, and can kill with 90+ damage per hit

BTW, my shuriken familiarity is still 0 although I have thrown it lots and lots of time. Is this a bug??

Thanks for any help.

Hm, not sure about familiarity on throwing weapons. I've never spent long enough using one to be able to tell whether it works or not. It does feel a bit contrary to the mechanics of familiarity, since you "use" them by throwing them away :)

Lock picking is the engineering skill, so if your scout doesn't have a high enough engineering they're not going to get much out of a pick. If a chest isn't breaking open with a pistol, you might need something more likely to punch holes like an SMG. Make sure you stand back though, just in case it's trapped or contains explosives.

As far as additional shuriken goes, good luck with that. You could hack them into your inventory (if you were of that persuasion), but I rarely run across them myself. I'd just suggest looking for the ones you've thrown a little more thoroughly before exiting a map, or being careful not to throw them off the edge. :)

Thanks for the info.

I just got 60 shurikens by killing the renegade soldiers at the Katana encounters. Actually I find that I like my silenced pistol better than shurikens. I am lazy... and hate to pick up all those shurikens after the battles. Bullets are cleaner.

Thanks for your suggestion of a SMG. Now I carry one with me to blow up all doors and boxes. So far, I haven't found anything really worthwhile picking in the various boxes. Most of them are not as good as what I can get at the base for free.

• 3 weeks later...

To break down a door or a chest with a knife or melee weapon:

Press A (or the attack icon)

Then hold the left (right might work too) CTRL key, while clicking on the item you want to break apart. (Obviously, you must be right next to the item for this to work.)

Not sure who to credit for this "hint" or solution, but I read this key combo somewhere and it bore repeating. Now my scout can get into just about anything without using up precious ammunition.

Enjoy!

JIMMUS

Im playing a solo scout game right now too, i think im at 11th level. I never actually take a gun along, i just pick up a dead mans smg or mg to open things. Thx to the above poster ill be able to melee them open if that works. I dont just want throwing stars for their dmg, i like how small they are in the inventory, too bad you have to fight those uber powered ninjas to get them...

Here's a little tip for shooting through doors (contrary to what I just posted in a different thread, but never mind):

If you think there might be a guard on the other side, use a full burst. Otherwise, you might only just blast the door open giving the guard on the other side a chance to shoot back first.