Stupidity Removal Patch Please

Seabee

This past weekend while hanging out with 9 of my friends I let them try my new Silent Storm game using the easy setting, no mods or additions just the game as it was delivered USA version 1.2. Everyone agreed that a patch is badly needed to remove at least 80 percent of the friendly artificial stupidity & replace it with what is presently missing, "friendly artificial intelligence". This would allow the player to actually enjoy the game instead of turning it off in disgust after one or more of the friendly squad members ruins what is otherwise a very enjoyable game. Having an incredibly stupid act occur every time your strategies are just beginning to payoff gives the feeling that the computer has taken over and is playing both sides. This happens in every mission we tried on the easy setting. All agreed that Silent Storm has great graphics and a lot of potential but they would not enjoy playing it unless the friendly AI stupidity is taken out.

I assume you mean the path-finding AI issues that occur on a regular basis? Or possibly the line of sight (LOS) issues when your team mates shoot another in the back because the cursor shows a good percentage but you neglected to check the LOS.

If your troubles are the latter simple use the camera config changes ( https://www.s2hq.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=50 ) listed on the site so you can move your camera down low and actually see if one of your team is in the line of fire. Or even if a wall blocks the shot. No the game is not perfect but far from unplayable either. Best turn-based game out in a long time.

I agree it can be a nuisance to have a squad mate do something stupid like climb up into a tree when you are trying to get him to hide behind it.. or climb up onto a crate instead of hiding behind it or going around like you had intended. Or even climbing over a banister instead of using the stairs.

Most of those can be avoided by changing the camera so that you have more maneuverability and by simply clicking mid route or by making way-points instead of just choosing the final destination for the troop.

To me it's as much the player being lazy or getting into a hurry as it is a game issue... sorry.

I think he's talking about allied soldiers getting in his way or doing other distracting things.

My fixes:

Stay far, far away from them, even if it means staying far, far away from the enemy.

Use them as meat shields. If they hit something, that's great, but if there's an ally you're not getting along with, he's essentially cannon fodder.

Stay away from them. Really. It's almost always possible to find an enemy to play with somewhere without going through an ally.

And remember, you don't get allied solders when you get to enemy territory. You will probably have mixed feelings when you realize it's your six against a horde, and you have no meat shields to distract the enemy. Enjoy the frustration while you have it.