how to kill a cryssalid

Kiryu-Kai

Chrysalids all in the warehouse? Those are times you wish you had lots of alien grenades (oh wait you aren't using those, so high explosives will do since those are terran) or large rockets so you can just totally demolish the whole building full of them.

Maybe a combo of large rockets, heavy cannon-HE, and high explosives between many men would do the trick. Then have your riflemen and AC-men finish off the stragglers that come running out.

If you bring a tank along, they seem to make good decoys. It seems like it's not uncommon for a chrysalid to go after the tank, except you don't have to worry about it becoming a zombie. Kind of funny to watch. Probably should put the tank (rocket version) at point to help in the demolishing and to help attract the chrysalid giving your men opportunity to stun and/or destroy it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High explosives and large rockets are the bomb, literally. But I must stress that, unless you're shooting at an unconscious Chryssalid, you shouldn't use autocannon or heavy cannon HE shells. They simply don't work. Well, they do, but incredibly slowly. What you need are the powerful but often neglected AP shells.

This is from a recently restarted attempt at Carlos's good old challenge (which, by the way, keeps getting restarted due to some odd unrecoverable bug or another. It's amazing.), where I'd decided to focus on using a lot of heavy cannons and auto cannons. I used HE shells all the way, but once I met up with the Chryssalids (mind you, this was on superhuman with the difficulty bug fixed), everything went durian shaped very quickly.

I kept striking at the Chryssalids with the HE shells, and I even started using my precious rocket HWP's rockets too (anyone notice how it's rockets (85) are not as good as the large rockets (100)?), but they just wouldn't die. One was hard, but a whole herd of chryssalids would make my men get up and run away.

Then I pulled out the AP shells, since that's all I had left, and only then would they start dropping at a satisfactory rate. (1 - 2 bullets as apposed to the whole clip, for example)

But if you're playing a beginner level game, oh well, HE shells should suffice. But not on true superhuman difficulty. No. *shudder*

If you think that's bad, I'm still reeling from how ineffectual the laser pistols and plasma pistols are against superhuman sectopods (and ethereals for that matter). It's almost like playing TFTD on beginner! Oh the memories.... It can drive a man to start drinking intoxicating beverages.

- NKF

• 1 year later...