Can you explain sniping for me?

ziffel

Per the subject... I don't 'get' sniping.

the description for snipers here on this site, says:

" He uses the sniper rifle and while doing so he takes the benefit of the unique skill that allows him to aim at the target for several turns and then take the enemy out with a single deadly shot. Shooting every turn would be wasting the sniper?s advantages."

I understand that he's taking time to aim -- but -- here's what's happening with my sniper.... I have him aim, I spend all his AP's on aiming for that round, and then when the next round comes, he gets no options to continue aiming. I can click on the enemy, and my sniper will shoot him.

See the description above says "allows him to aim ... for several turns". It also says he can "take the enemy out with a single .. shot"

Is this increased aim time supposed to also increase damage? Should I be aiming for the head?

Would someone mind going over sniping, and explain it in a turn-by-turn walkthrough? it would be much appreciated.

Your sniper is not yet good enough. There is a maximum to the number of APs you can focus before shoot. That maximum is equal to your sniper skill.

So, if your sniper has 50 in sniping skill, & 56 APs, the first round, he will use 6 APs to set up the shoot & 50 aiming. The second round, he won't have anything left. If you cheat to have a powerful sniper(see console use in this site), you'll be able to focus during several rounds. Way cool.

thanks, slapper.

So, does aiming over several rounds provide any additional benefit, besides accuracy? my sniper, with a "careful shot" already has a pretty high accuracy on most shots.

I guess, your sniper failed, because the target has moved. He or she can aim over several rounds, until you are at 100%, with the condition, that the target will NOT move. Once the target takes a step to the side, all your spent AP for aiming are wasted.

Your best bet is, to use the option "spend as many AP, that there are enough left for the shot" and then use the "snipe"-option. This will bring up both, sniping and shooting skills. Later you will see the benefits of this: A good sniper will ALWAYS affect criticals, when hitting by using "snipe"; this is one of the perks, he can get. Aim for the head, when you want to be sure to finish the target off with one shot. BTW, when you aim and get, let's say, 100% and then press "8" for a head shot, the to-hit-propability will drop down to 70 or 65. You can still increase this by spending more AP, so that you will finally end up with a 100%-chance for that headshot. Strong feature; most parts of the maps I clear with the sniper solo (silenced Mauser)