Weapon and equipment wishes for rb6.0

Aralez

I'm having problems with the OICW (sp?). I just can't hit anything with it ! It does fire, but I only burn the ground, not damaging the aliens. I tried both with burst and aimed fire-modes. I was carrying both types of ammunition, so I didn't know which one was being used (I should guess the grenades, because the sound and animation didn't look like a rifle at all, they were more like a plasma gun). I even failed to damage a stationary Plecton at point blank range (100% to hit).

Regarding the knife, as I've said I find it OK because it makes the weapon actually useful. If it were a realistic knife and did 50 damage nobody would bother with it. BTW, After using the knife I have to agree with Lurker that the stunrod is underpowered and should be given a bit of range. It's not just the fact that you have to get close, the problem is that sometimes the aliens themselves are moving and it gets difficult to engage them, so the stunrod, being large and using psi-power to hit, is quite useless now (IMHO).

Another thing. The weight for the .45ACP cartridge used by the Decker (several kilograms) is intentional ? The same cartridge for the Magnum weights much less. I also got the Magnum long after getting the Decker, and it seems to be worse in every respect than it.

Well, I've rested too much. Back to the fight ! :power::):D

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I didn't think it was gonna happen, but Aralez has got me doing more than just lurking. Aralez has got me wanting to start and play a whole new game of UFO:AM, and it's only version 5.2 of the Rebalance. I'm wanting to try out everything new!

Can you imagine if Aralez completes the whole vision and everything slated for version 6.0 of the Rebalance moves from dream into reality? It would be like the Expansion Pack that Altar should have been close to finishing off by now, if Altar had been a big outfit, if Altar hadn't wrapped themselves up in secrecy and red tape. But the Aralez Expansion Pack Rebalance 6.0 will have been done by only a few men, mostly by one man.

If Aralez pulls it off, it will be a good example for Altar. Rebalance 6.0 will show Altar what could have been done if they wouldn't have gotten discouraged about the game and if they would have listened more closely to their fans and the suggestions on their web site. But, if Rebalance 6.0 comes to fruition, it will truly be a payoff for all Altar's efforts in version 1.3 to open up their game to the modding community. It wasn't possible to modify Xcom to this same degree.

In my dreams last night, I though about the need for a second type of knife, a throwing or thrown knife. There needs to be a second type of knife that can be thrown 8 to 10 meters. The thrown knife will do a lot less damage of course, but it will have range, and it should probably be limited to 20 or 25 throws or shots. Make it so that about five throws at the beginning of the game will bring down a Chomper, so that you could have two throwers and bring down an incoming Chomper before he arrives. Then, late game with some soldier that is Super Heroic for throwing, make it so that two or three throws of the Throwing Knife would be enough to bring down a Reticulan.

Keep the original close-quarters knife as it is in 5.2, but add a second throwable version in a later Rebalance version. The more the merrier!

For cool knife work, I think of the movie Gangs of New York. Or even better that Hunted movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio Del Toro, now that was cool knife work.

Of course, thoughts of thrown knives also begs for a powerful throwable Battle Ax in UFO:AM. One throw of a Battle Ax from a Super Heroic thrower should be enough to bring down a Reticulan, and you'd make the Battle Ax have about five to ten throws before it runs out of ammunition. A Battle Ax should have a respectable 10 to 12 meter range as well. The Battle Ax would be like Daniel Day Lewis in the Last of the Mohicans, or like Mel Gibson in Patriot. If I remember right, one of Rumpole's pet names for his wife was Battle Ax, along with 'She Who Must be Obeyed' - that's Rumpole of the Bailey, a series that was done by Mobil Mystery on PBS.

Of course, you could always incorporate the Klingon Bat'leth or something similar into UFO:AM. Thanks to Worf, we know how that thing works in the hands of someone Super Heroic for the skill.

So many ideas, and so little time! But, Aralaz has gotten me excited about UFO:AM again.

I do like the naked one-file way of doing things. The Rebalance 5.2 doesn't seem to be crashing, and you just add one file to the directory, start a new game, and you're off and running. But, if Manus can get it running without crashing under ALPine, then that would be great as well. Of course, I haven't gotten to Area 51 with Rebalance 5.2, and if UFO:AM is going to crash, it usually starts crashing by the time Area 51 becomes available.

Anyway, Aralez has single-handedly made it exciting to be lurking around here again, and I get the feeling that he has only begun. It will take some time, but imagine what we could end up with a month or two from now if he follows the dream to completion! It will be magnificent.

The BFG-9000, ah you discovered it's area effect! Do you like the green projectile and effects the way i did it? It was my first change regarding new effects, whew, hard to do. I'll try to give it a bit more range and shots, reading your ideas.

>>

Yes, I loved that gun, and it really got me excited about the Rebalance potentials. I love the whole effect.

Don't change the the original Rebalance 5.2 BFG-9000! Keep it the way it is.

But create a second version of the BFG gun along the lines I suggested in the Versatile BFG. The second version Versatile BFG would not have area effect for an aimed shot -- in aimed mode, it would be a pinpoint shot exploding the alien from the inside out, thus able to be used inside UFO's in aimed mode. Give it range in both burst mode and aimed mode so that it is useful outside as well.

Of course, for burst mode of the Versatile BFG, keep the area effect and make the area effect even bigger if possible. Twelve shots aimed, and around four shots if used only in burst mode.

>>

Okay, I'll just have to pronounce Brian as 'Bree-Ann'. :power: No biggy.

>>

Two hard coded heavies. Arg! Okay, then make the Advanced Warp Resonator so that it isn't a heavy, so that it can be carried on Bio Armor. Simple solution. You made the BFG9000 so it isn't a heavy weapon requiring Heavy Armor.

>>

Yes, train one of the soldiers to be sufficient to use a Psi Projector right from the start of the game, if it can be done.

>>

I haven't tried the Super Striker yet, but if I remember right, you gave that gun different ammo types, and it might need some way of telling the difference between the different ammo types.

>>

Don't change the knife in 5.2, just add a second type of knife, a throwable knife in future versions. Though we might indeed have to study the original 5.2 knife to make sure that it isn't too powerful. I haven't had time for that yet, but it would be nice to have an easy way of checking how it works against a Reticulan. I haven't ran into Reticulans with 5.2 yet.

Kermel has to be taken as the expert on the knife, and he says don't change it, so don't. Just add a second throwable type in a future rebalance.

>>

What's making this fun is being able to try out all the different new weapons and what they can do. So a second type of knife and a second type of BFG, each with completely different capabilities will open up new choices and new tactics, which is exactly what we are enjoying in your new Rebalances.

Don't change the original BFG9000, just add a second Versatile BFG that has completely different characteristics, that can be used safely indoors in the one mode. If you want you could make burst mode the pinpoint energy-saving safe-indoors mode, and the aimed mode the area effect energy-using mode, twelve shots in burst and four in aimed. It doesn't matter how you do it, but the second BFG should have completely different capabilities and require different tactics. It should be different, just like the throwing knives or Battle Ax would be different than the orginal 5.2 knife.

It's the difference between weapons types that makes them fun to try and fun to use, and that's what adds life and replayability to the game.

You should know that some of us at this end of the cycle are starting to worship the name Aralez!

It is great to finally see some excitement come back to Aftermath. Aftermath needed a boost in the arm.

Hopefully Aralez won't get tired and burn out. It's a lot of work he has done and is planning on doing. But, there's no reason he can't pace himself and be making occasional changes or improvements even six months from now. I don't think ALTAR will have Aftermath the Sequel out by then.

I salute you, Arelez!

Hopefully, Strahd won't get discouraged by all the attention going to Aralez. If Strahd finishes his project and adds new sounds to everything, then that too would be another reason to play Aftermath again. Trying out new sounds can be just as fun as trying out new weapons.

With new armor types, new soldiers, and even new aliens, the Rebalance 6 sounds like a great new frontier.

BTW, how do you get the new Deep Throat alien to appear? When is it supposed to appear? How do you go about trying out the new alien?

It's nice having the Cyborgs just show up without having to install a saved game.

Yes, yes, pacing is good! We definitely don't want Aralez to get discouraged or overwhelmed and have him go away again.

The original version 5.2 BFG9000 needs at least a 40 meter range. It needs to be comparable to the range of the Nuker and the Super Striker.

Due to the ALLITEMS cheat, I have all my soldiers in Bio Armor, but they are slow as snails. There's only three soldiers right now. I had to wait for the Chomper to get into range of The BFG9000 so that I could shoot the Chomper, but by the time my person got off the shot, the Chomper had run much closer and the area effect of the BFG9000 took out not only the Chomper but my whole team as well. :)

What is the maximum you can give to area effect? You want the Nuker to have the maximum, unless the maximum is map wide. Increasing the area effect of the original BFG9000 wouldn't hurt either, if it is given greater range.

I still hope we can coax Aralez into a second type of BFG with no area effect for one of its modes.

The game begs for two types of BFG in my opinion, one shorter 40m range with large area effect, and one with longer 70m range and pinpoint accuracy with no area effect, or a Versatile combination of both. Umm, that's three types!

Three types of BFG? I wouldn't complain. I love that gun. Aralez did a great job with it. You just gotta try it!

EDIT:

You can't help but notice the area effect of the BFG9000 if it takes out your whole team. :power:

My two biggest complaints with the bezerk armor are: 1. It is too heavy. Way too heavy. 45 pounds is way too much. You can't carry any gun except a pistol! :power: Maby make it 20-30 pounds. And 2: I don't like the red texture, it would look better (imo) as a cobalt blue. But...If you could change the texture for the bezerk, could you change it for the normal armors too? Hmm...

Berzerker in Warcraft II and Warcraft III essentially mean red with blood, or blood lust. The Berzerk Armor should be red.

But, it sounds like Aralez has a couple of new armors in 5.3, and he should indeed make one of them Cobalt Blue just for Cpl. Facehugger.

Okay, I'm obviously just making this up as I go along. But this is what I would like to see.

Three types of BFG.

The BFG9000 with 40 meter range and a huge room-clearing area effect. This gun should have about 10 shots, like the Warp Detonator and Warp Resonator.

The BFG9500 Sniper Deluxe with 80 meter range and no area effect - pinpoint accuracy, and only an aimed mode. But it could be used inside UFO's because it has no dangerous area effect and because it has no minimum range. Twenty shots at least.

The BFG9999 Universal or BFG9999 Versatile, with two modes, burst and aimed. Both modes both would have 70 meter range, but one mode would have sizable area effect and the other mode would be a pinpoint sniper mode with no area effect. Four or five shots Area Effect and 12 to 15 shots in sniper pinpoint mode.

Then bring on fifty Reticulans each tactical mission. They're going down.

And then the soldier carrying one of the BFG's definitely must have a heavy slow armor that makes him completely immune to Psi Control, or one psi-controlled soldier getting off a shot in the middle of your team will end the game in a single blaze of glory. You don't want him getting off the shot against your team inside a UFO, so he can't be controlled long enough to get off the shot. A full complement of BFG's would require the right psi-proof armor to match.

Thx for all the nice comments :power: ok here's what i changed in the new version on my HD:

-adjusted armor-stats, made the BERZERK armor easier to get. >>(this will satisfy most of your armour needs and wishes, except the blue colour)

-added a Laser-sniper-rifle. VERY accurate, relative small damage

-added a Warp-Sniper-rifle with small-range-burst-mode.

-Changed one ammo-icon for the OICW.

-Added depleted uranium rocket for the RPG7, which harms an area with radiation for some seconds. (Be careful where you wander, radiation is invisible) :)

-Changed several icons.

-Uzi is a singlehand weapon now, too. A bit less accurate therefore.

-Added the laser gatling (ideas, graphics etc. by fnurg)

-A bit more ammo and range for the BFG9000. >!!!!!

-Nuker covers a bit larger area >!!!!!!

-New weapon added: Warp destroyer II. Better range, more shots, BUT less damage. (the second bfg, Lurker?) :D

-SAWNOFF accuracy improved. >>>as requested

-Shocker has now range comparable to shotgun, but has 10 shots only and decreased duration (still plenty enough) :)

-Changed icons for ammo of Autocannon a bit. (easier to recognize)

-Added burst mode to Plasmashotguns to make them stronger (most later aliens have high resistance against Plasma so they weren't really useful)

-Shuriken added

-Nanotech and Shocker size corrected (smaller now)

-Weight of decker-magazin corrected :) (typo!)

I'll take a look at the OICW, in the test i did it worked, but i'll retest. Cobalt-Blue armor--ok! Axes and Batleth? Hmmmm, will do some tests. The shocker looks a bit odd now that it isn't a contact anymore, maybe i'll replace it's ingame model....and the C4 will get a smaller size, too.

I think i probably can finish the weapon-addons soon (~1week), then i'll move on to the next big step: New soldiers!

Were the deep ones by any chance green, and do they carry a p90?

If so, then I've encountered them. :power:

Hmm. The bezerk isn't too hard to get, but it is way too heavy! I can live with the red color I suppose. :)

Also, for my game, the OICW doesn't seem to do any damage with either ammo type! I hit a plecton at point blank with a clip of bullets, and a clip of 'nades. No damage whatsoever. Its a shame too, I love the RL OICW. :D

Also, thanks for finally including an automatic shotgun. Any chance we could get a pancor jackhammer in? That gun looks really cool.

Yep, that were the deepones!

Btw, i just couldn't bear it to have a "flawed" version outthere, so i decided to upload the corrected, enhanced and otherwise superior version 5.3 to Slaughter.

Hopefully he will put it in the download section soon. Slaughter? :)

Read the included txt-file for infos. The zip is about 9MB.

Oh and you already convinced me, i'll make the advanced heavy armour cobalt-blue, but this will take some time... :power:

Pancor Jackhammer? Never heard of it. I'll do one if possible.

Have fun!

And keep this thread full ! :D

BFG9000 and Psi Invulnerability : I think it would take away all the fun. Every tactic should have a weak spot that can be exploited by your enemy. Having a BFG9000 on your side surely makes missions easier, so it is fair that you have to pay for that assuming a risk. Nobody forces you to take the weapon, after all; and losing your whole team doesn't mean losing the game. I do intend to at least try the RB 6 mod with aliens having all the weapons, if it comes out, and It would certanly be memorable if I could psi-control a Reticulan with a BFG9000 (never psi-controlled a rocket-launcher wielder ? :power:)

I still haven't got the BFG9000 in my game yet, but I do have a small arsenal of Nukers... how could anything get more brutal than that ! :) One of my bases was attacked and when I saw that my men were being outgunned (even when they had Neosteads and the like and were fighting in close-quarters) I decided to hastiily retreat my men and nuke the lifters. Mission accomplished ! Whoah !!! :D:) :)

[yeah, I know it is not polite to use nukes inside your own bases, but well, it saved the day, we can live with a little radiation, can't we ?:)]

I think that if Aralez is willing to keep modding other aspects of the game after he finishes the weapons, it would be wise for us to let him move on and not flood him with requests.

Actually I don't really like having lots and lots of weapons. I prefer having few weapons, but all of them being unique and leading to different tactics. For example, the barely noticed the addition of the AK101. It's just another assault rifle, with only minor differences from the others. I would rather have one single generic assault rifle, or maybe a few versions : the long range assault rifle with not so good burst fire mode, the heavy damager with limited ammo capacity, or the light one lacking in accuracy. I would like to pick carefully which one I'll be using and how, and adapt my tactics according to my choices and the circumstances. But well, enough ranting already ! :(

BFG9000 and Psi Invulnerability : I think it would take away all the fun.

>>

It depends upon when they show up.

Kermel is indeed pointing out the potential flaw in some of my thinking - I used ALLITEMS and cheated in order to get an early look at all the equipment. I don't know when they actually show up in the game.

If the BFG9000 and the Psi Invulnerability armor show up about the same time sometime after rescuing Qualveg and Slooz while researching the Queen's Lair, then the game is over already, and having the two come together around the same time doesn't matter anyway. In fact, the two together would be a reward for those who choose to get all sixty bases before doing the moon mission.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me as if the Berzerk Armor makes the average soldier essentially immune to Psi? I haven't used the Berzerk Armor against Reticulans, so I don't know. But it looks like the Berzerk Armor is 'the' armor that we want to give to those who are carrying the BFG's.

In fact in normal version 1.3 play, my soldiers who are Heroic for Psi and who have Bio Armor seem to be mind controlled for such a short period of time that they usually don't even have time to get off a shot, or your Psi person has enough time to free them before they get off a shot.

I do agree, as stated in another thread, that after Aralez is done making weapons, we are going to have to go through a shakedown period in which we determine if they are arriving at the right point in the game, should the aliens have them as well, and what combinations are just too powerful or no fun and should be toned down or weakened so that the fun factor is NOT lost.

In actual play, from what Aralez has said, you might only have one or two BFG9000 by the time the moon mission is available. If that is the case, then having the proper Psi-proof armor to go along with them doesn't seem like too far of a stretch to me.

Anyway, Aralez has to make the weapons first, and then as I implied in the other thread, we need to find the right balance for them so that each tactic has a weak spot, as Kermel said. We don't want the Reticulans to be pushovers, and we don't want them so strong that the game gets discouraging. At some point we'll have to find the right balance with the new rebalance once its major components are in place.

But truthfully, I have been having a lot of fun seeing what the new weapons and equipment can do, so to a certain extent, the more the merrier. However, I do agree with Kermel, the timing of the introduction of these advanced weapons will be critical for establishing the right balance for real life playing of the 6.0 Rebalance.

I think that if Aralez is willing to keep modding other aspects of the game after he finishes the weapons, it would be wise for us to let him move on and not flood him with requests.

>>

We definitely want Aralez to move past weapons!

And, I always assumed that when all the niches were filled, he would indeed move on. But, I do like lots of new weapons to try, and having Aralez fill in all the holes left by Altar wouldn't bother me in the least.

There's a hole in the handguns in Aftermath with nothing new and useful for the latter quarter of the game.

And, truthfully, I have always wanted a new Super Weapon for the end of the game, something better than the Warp Resonator, and I think the BFG9000 is it. I just wanted to point out in the Super Weapon's category, there are various niches that can be filled - area effect BFG, sniper BFG, close-quarters BFG, and hybrid BFG's. And, it looks as if Aralez is working on different weapons to fill those niches.

I still would like to see a BFG-handgun to give to that lone soldier who ends up Heroic for handguns. It would be interesting to see what Aralez dreams up to fill that niche or category.

Anyway, it's shaping up nicely, I look forward to 5.3, and I am thankful for everything that Aralez takes the time to give us. And, yes, I am looking forward to new types of aliens, soldiers, androids, tanks, and sounds. Therefore, he needs to pace himself so that he can hopefully get it all in before he gets tired and burns out.

As long as he is having fun too, that's what really matters. But thanks to Aralez, he should know that I've been having some fun recently as well, if knowing that matters and helps him to get excited. :power:

I went in and played again some more of the 5.2 Rebalance. I love the Nuker, and the SawnOff is good too, but SawnOff needs a way to tell the different ammuntions apart.

I guess I honestly have to say that I disagree with Kermel. I'll take every weapon and armor type that Aralez has to offer. Bring it on! It's great fun.

If there is an armor that makes your soldiers immune to psi, we don't have to use it. :power: Our Kermel friend can leave home without it. It's his choice.

And if there are ten different types of BFG, Kermel doesn't have to use them either, but I would sure have fun trying out all the different varieties. It's nice to have a choice.

So, yes, I would agree that Aralez will have to pace himself and make judicious choices with his limited time, but if Aralez has ten different types of BFG's planned for Rebalance 6.0 and he produces them, I will have fun choosing which ones to use and deciding which ones I like best.

You don't have to use the new weapons and armor if you don't want to, but I think it will be nice to have them there and have the choice to use them if Aralez decides to give them to us.

I have liked what I have seen so far, so I can help but want more.

Nice to see you guys enjoying the mod! About Psi Invulnerability: The Berzerk armour is almost immune to psi control, BUT it has a weak point, too: You can't heal anyone inside it! (this has the positive side effect of being immune to the Toxin grenade, ha!)

The other two heavy armours have high immunity against psi OR stunweapons, but not both! (in v. 5.3). Some icons are fixed in 5.3, too.

Btw, i had to re-upload the mod to Slaughter again, his mailbox was too full, i hope he does something about that :power: If anyone wants it directly, send me a PM with an email-address and i'll send it to you (9MB)

Ok, i'm off to mod a bit :)

Have fun!

@Kermel: Nuker to clear out the lifts !? Lol, nice idea, why i didn't think of that ? :D

Especially for BlackAlmaz: As the M4 is already in the game and i didn't wanted to include another M4-bullet-ammo, i'll change the standard M4 into the Rifle/laucher-combo you've suggested.

The blue armour is done and looks nice, a bit like a police uniform :power: And so is the needler, a powerful pistol with good range (made to appear later in the game).

So, now for some bad news: The shuriken gives me some headaches: It is to slow when thrown like a grenade (can't set speed then) and it's flightpath looks terrible. I'll try to make it behave like a real shuriken, but this will take some time. But before that i'll start work on the last of the bigger weapon projects: The Alien2-Gun :)

Btw, Slaughter's mailbox still isn't co-operating, i'll maybe have to look for another "temporary" host for the mod. Hope he soon is back at his PC. Will start another attempt.

Well, honestly, I must admit that yesterday I had been looking here every few hours for Slaughter to post the 5.3 so that I could give it a see.

On the humorous side, though, I blame the problem on Slaughter and his alcohol and not on the Aralez. The ol' Slaughter sleeping it off. :)

On the serious side, I had a grandfather who was a weekend alcoholic, and the drink can get the upper hand in one's life. So, I would have to compassionately say that I hope that the whole of Slaughter's weekend isn't going in the drink. It can be a nasty thing if it gets the best of you. My cousin lost his leg and then his life to alcohol, and he was only a couple of years older than me.

I'm half Scandinavian, so alcholism is a real issue on that side of the family. The Scandinavians don't handle it as well as the Mediterranians.

For me, the major vices I have are killing aliens in computer games and eating chocolate. So, I can't wait for Aralez to give me another fix, in the alien-killing department. :power:

'Cause I had to force myself to abandon the chocolate. :D

I have to admit during the hours i spend at the PC doing those mods i eat TONS of sweets, they let me concentrate better :power: I think when 6.0 is ready i have to roll me to my job :) Oh and please don't think alcohol is a scandinavian only problem :D Ever saw your best buddies doing the most terrible things to you while being drunk? No nice view. They not only kill themselves at a certain rate, but all their friends emotions towards them, too.

Ok, another small update:

-Changed texture for advanced heavy armour. (blue cobalt!!!)

-Added a powerful new pistol for the later missions: The Needler.

-Changed M4 to M4/grenade launcher combo.

-Changed some of the new icons to keep the general UFO:AM style intact (this means i turned e.g. the sawnoff icon to another angle, like the original weapons.)

Ah, it was seriously off topic to get into alchoholism - just wanted to point out where Slaughter might be this weekend, judging from some of the comments he makes.

My mother told me stories about the abuse her alcoholic father sent her way. Grandfather was in denial his whole life about it. She kind of made me promise never to start drinking. I think her counsel was right from what I have seen from some of my cousins. I listened to mother, and I've never tried alcohol. Best advice she ever gave me. If I would have started, I just know it would have grabbed me like it got my cousins, and I would never have gotten loose. I wouldn't be playing computer games now, instead I'd have more serious concerns.

The 'addiction' to Aralez's Rebalance mods is serious enough. :power:

I'm sure that I'll have more ideas concerning the Rebalance Mods after giving 5.4 a look see. Happiness to all!