Whats wrong with the geosphere?

sigget

I had the crazy idea of having animated clouds somehow by doing it the same way in which other animated marks are on the geosphere. I'm not sure how feasible it is, I had a brief look but decided it was beyond me ??? .

Talking about marks on the geosphere, I don't suppose you know where the texture for the body of the helicopter is do you? I know about the animated rotors, but not the actual body of the chopper. Any ideas where this can be found?

What do you mean about base layouts? You mean like custom missions in a base or a new way of generating the layout? Or am I way off? :power:

Tools needed, model editor! Looking in the docs about the 3d models, it refers to them being in the LGW 3D model format. Is LGW a standard 3d model format or is it a custom format ALTAR came up with? I haven't been able to find any information on it or what else uses it. If it was standard, shouln't there already be tools/plugins for editing it? Have you or anyone else been able to edit any of the models?

Sorry, hope I didn't go too off topic :o

The mission designer is available, its called viewer and comes with the official tools.

I dont know if you can use animated textures of the geosphere, its worth a try i guess, but they would have to be long or they would quickly get annoying. The helicopter as well as the ufo's and mission indicators are models, i think they're in strategic/models/geosphere.

With base layouts i mean the position of the bases and the area that belongs to each base. Have a look at this image and you'll see a sphere with the same type of layout that the geosphere uses. Ill be releasing a tool for this in a few days.

The model format, LGW, is ALTAR's own invention and they will not be releasing their tools for it. So its up to us to create our own.

An idea: I think 60 bases are too few. The southern half of the globe is just so boring with its large areas. I would love it if someone, once my tool is out, created a sphere with a more even distribution.

We're getting closer to create mods for the geosphere. The textures can be created now and i'll soon hade a tool that can make new base layouts. What would you like to do with this? And what more tools would you need?

What about dynamical geoscape??

I mean only in current limits - just dynamical or user-specified base locations and borders..

Is it possible ?

And second..

I thik it`s not bad idea to make multibase sectors possible (or base with multiple functions)..

In such way we can create bases like in X-com

for example 40% military,40% science and 20% technical capacity..

Or 5in1 base.. 2 military,2 science and 1 technical..

ETS.

SUMMARY:

Less bases&more functions&dynamical borders..

The tool is taking longer than i expected, ive had it working for a while but its not as stable as id like it.

@Claw, the base positions and the borders are what my coming tool will help you change. Im not sure that we can make multifunction bases, i think its possible to make all bases repulse biomass and act as research and enginieering bases. But you still wont be able to have soldiers or planes in any other bases than military bases. But still, if the military base is a repulsor, a research station and an engineering lab, then why would you need any other type of base =)

@Facehugger, use the viewer from the official tools to create your own mission, you can build from the ufoblocks that comes with the game. That is, you can combine all the pieces the game use to make base layouts to create your own layout. As for martian texture on the geosphere, if you find one, just use my TextureMaker-tool to get it onto the geosphere.