Here's a thought

Raccoon

Algae and kelp can survive in the Artic Ocean and the seas around Antartica despite the dark winters, I think it can survive the 2-3 weeks of darkness that the spores would bring. The main problem for the marine ecology is going to be the loss of all the shellfish along the coastlines, which means that fish won't be able to feed on their young.

I agree about the filters in underground bases. They are supposed to be able to deal with radioactive dust which can remain in the athosphere for months. The spores fell to ground in a week, so they must be heavier and therefore larger.

I hope that balloon shark isn't going to be too big, I'd hate it to get wedged when taking a corner in the second part of a base capture mission.

• 1 year later...
Kriptor is right. 21% of the whole atmosphere's air amounts to pretty much oxygen! :confused: Some wacko teacher of mine was saying that in high school and he was using the aforementioned Seaquest DSV episode to say "here, this isn't possible, cause of this and this and that" And if someone actually knows the exact figures maybe we can verify Kripton's result! :lol:

Apparently in UFO: Aftershock, some of the people you will have to deal with are groups of humans who have managed to stick it out on Earth for the last 50 years. There must be some sort of agriculture going on as there is no way that they could be using stores of food from before the Fall. Over time, tinned food ends up contaminated by the aluminium or steel of the tin (my father works in the canning industry). Other food stores would have long since rotted. Maybe the marine ecology wasn't hit quite so hard?

I think there would be a big increase in global warming. The dust and soot that industry pumps into the atmosphere across the world is mitigating the effects of global warming becuse the dust particles are blocking some of the sunlight. If the dust particles settle and we don't replace them, global temperatures are likely to increase by several degrees in about two years. This may well be enough to cause the methane hydrate crystals trapped in the Siberian permafrost and ocean floors to break down, releasing lots of methane into the atmosphere.

• 3 years later...