Weapons Load-out

Edge

I have to admit that I am nearly finished with the game. For those that have gotten through it (and not to spoil too much for those who haven't gotten that far yet), let's just say I have some "Retribution" to pay to the aliens. :withstupid:

Anyway, I've found that while it's nice to have a large variety of guns, nothing has worked as well for me as Steyr-Augs on four troops with the other two using the Advanced Alien Laser Gun. Outdoors, with this combo, I can clean out anything. Also, I make sure all my guys stick together, as the aliens will come to you and not use very difficult tactics... sheer numbers vs their rockets.

As for indoors, six troopers with MP7's and one with the Advanced Alien Laser Gun have been wreaking HAVOC on the aliens. I set up really nice ambushes, and crouched, the aliens nearly walk right up to us (stepping over the dead bodies of their comrades [which should have clued them in to something]) and we SMOKE them with the MP7's (that seem to SHRED right through them).

The point of all this is that I haven't had to use any elaborate or intricate mixes of exotic weapons to get the job done: I've used mostly two types of rifles and one type of pistol for indoor use. Sure, this took a while to get to, as we don't get the Steyr-Augs all at one time, but you know what I mean.

The only mission giving me a hassle is surviving the ambush that is my attempt at "Retribution." NOTHING seems to work there... unless I want to accept losing a handful of troops (which I don't accept).

Anyone else have a winning load-out that they would like to share? What works/has worked for you?

I know that feeling. Retribution has been a thorn in my butt now on my 1st game for some time. Upon entering the mission i find 4 alien rockets on either sides, 10 secs l8er only my guy in heavy combat armour is even breathing an hes on the floor KOed. :hmmm:

Am gonna attempt that mission with a squad of really faster runners all armed with MP7s or a varity of close range weapnary an jsut LEG IT, fire an move in other words. Although i am not too keen on it working i will post results after i have tested it out.

Also its nice to see someone esle plan ambushs an make full use of map locations an the crouch, an with useing human weapons too :withstupid:

Steyr-Augs have 1 of longest range of any rifle, 45m no less with a nice magazine of 30 rounds an dmgtype as HARD.

Compared to anotehr rifle the HK G3, the AUG has 10M MORE range than any other assult rifle (not including alien) with slightly less dmg at 60 compared to 73. The damage ofthe AUG is also HARD, whereas the G3 is UNIVERSAL.

An hard dmg type is useful as hell vs the later aliens.

AUGS feature heavily in my current squad setup ;)

Just finished "Retribution" without a single reload and no losses on my side. My equip for this mission:

3x snipers with barret and neosteads in backpacks.

1x Neostead and a lot of grenades, warp medikits.

1x mp7 with backpacks full of ammo

1x psi (last weapon) + medikits

1x rocket spitter with inc rockets+backup neostead in backpack

all soldiers in bio armor except psionic in adv attact armor & enchanced psi helmet

1st part: 2 runners spot enemies, snipers take them down in no time. In case of big group rocket spitter softens them nicely. It was real cakewalk.

2nd part: most ppl switch to secondary weapons, 2 go for medikits. Clear corridors very slowly with Neostead wielding soldiers. Keep no more than one soldier in each corridor so in case of psi attack you won't kill own troops. Slowly clear and destroy mission objectives. Then prepare for big shootout on the way to the queen. That's when backpacks full of ammo come in handy. And don't forget to take advantage of 5m range of warp medikits.

If you have problems in previous mission (getting the alien ship) the interior tactic is the same, but in exterior it's rushing with runners and lots of napalm dropping (from rocket spitter again) and sniping.

If you want more detailed tactics just let me know.

PS. remember to have some grenades/explosives handy in alien base

And about 500 reloads of a saved game too i bet? :hmmm:

Without losing a single guy, i don't beleave u!

Simply because as soon as u start the mission i get alien spotted behind me then 1 to side so ur fireing at 2 targets, 2 turn into 4 for me an then rockets come into play. So try getting all 4 targets down fast with only 1/2 guys shooting them, no chance if u stay still an fight.

As I told you first thing is to blast the group close to you with rocket spitter and run up with neostead or mp7 to finish them off. in this time snipers take out the mind controll aliens (takes time as they usually have to dodge the first rocket). Psi/warp medic runs to the safe spot (right by the deployment site) and takes back/heals everyone in range. Second assaulter runs up to other group and takes out another rocket alien. Then it's only mopping up and keeping your men alive. Note that my snipers are mostly excellent with marksmanship and what's more important almost heroic in aliens. Makes them deal even over 1500 damage with one shot (that has to hurt hehe), while neostead one packs even up to 3500 damage according to what I see on screen.

This wasn't my first attempt at this mission. I tried it earlier and got wiped out totally, but I had different loudout that didn't exactly work so I postponed it, made some other base/downed ufo missions to get a hang of those a bit more and came back blasting. Didn't believe it myself that I made both last missions in fisrt try :withstupid:

In the Retribution ship capture mission I used 1x psionic with MP7 in backpack, 1x power turtle (that is how I call my guys in Enhanced Heavy Armor with Gatling Gun), 2x snipers with MP7 in backpack, 2x MP7 folks and 1x Alien Microslug Accelerator.

I found out rocket spitters using universal ammo don't kill a Reticulan on first hit, they take forever to launch and draw the entire alien party to the spot. The other rocket launchers are also too slow for that mission. You want to kill them fast and hard.

The Gatling Gun takes a while to start up, but chews up a Sky Armor alien in a single shot. My power turtle mowed down 4x aliens the MP7s couldn't reach or were otherwise too busy to handle without changing clip. The Microslug Accelerator is good to handle the alien duo in your back.