Cannon Fodder...

61cygni

Hi all,

I was just wondering...

What do you do if your best soldier is killed during a mission?

Do you play on, pay for his or her funeral and train another soldier?

Or do you go like: "Look behind you: a three-headed-monkey" (sneaky mission reload...) and then: "No, she wasn't dead, she just fell over that dead guy's bike..."

I haven't played that much, so it hasn't really happen to me yet. But it's different from X-Com and TFTD (sorry for bringing those up again :withstupid:) because in UFO: A, the soldier's stats rise so much quicker and you can specialize them (which I really like by the way, well done!) (What I'm trying to say is that soldiers are more valuable in UFO: A.)

True training soldiers up so they r really top notch at observation an others proves almost invaluble later on an the amount of time it took to get them to that skill lvl.

ALthough when i lsoe my best trooper i carry on the mission regardless, i only reload when i lose all my team or all but 1/2. I don't beleave in save/save/save oops 2 dead load/save/save/save oops dead again load/save repeat so all team survives. But that is NOT how i expect to play, if a trooper dies its because of ur own fault for not thinking bout the backlash of ur stratagys. Hell i don't even save/reload in X-COM. To me its an exploit, i even regret doing it when i finish the mission with only 2 guys alive.

Pathetic really if thats how some of u play, but thats my opinion. :hmmm:

I preferred the natural selection approach up until the Aliens starting packing stuff thats a bit more substantial than their early pea-shooters. Then I went for the fated hero thing, seeing as the alternative was the less attractive grisly mess.

You'll see what I mean.

I reload when I lose a good soldier, I can't help it. :withstupid: But I let the weak ones die if they don't get strong within their first 5 or so missions. For example, Blackeye had Awful Strength, which made him move at the speed of a turtle when running, this was compensated by having Heroic Perception but, IMHO, I think Perception is not as useful as Strength, so I eventually let Blackeye die because of his weakness (as you can see in my signature).

Here's what happened:

It was my first alien base attack mission, and I divided my squad in three teams (BAD idea!). After some scouting, the team which had Shadow and Poncho in it came across a Reticulan with a Plasma Gun. I chose to make them run to the biggest team (Raven, Mach and Blackeye). Once the two arrived, I sent the five soldiers to meet with the last team, Wolf and Fox. However, due to his turtle speed, Blackeye fell behind and came across a Plasma Gun Gray and a Laser Gun one. I switched his Skorpion to burst mode and ordered him to shoot the plasma d00d, but he got downed and then killed on the floor in cold blood :devil: by the two Reticulans. Then I entrenched the 6-men squad in the room where Wolf and Fox were and slowly killed the aliens as they appeared in my sights.

MP7's rule in base missions. High damage, HARD ammo, fast reload.

For base missions I usually split my squad in two groups: each group has 2x guys with MP7s and 1x guy with an RPG-7 or other nice juicy weapon like the Super Striker. When confronting alien bases with Reticulans I prefer the RPG-7 because of the reasonable range and HARD ammo to pierce their shields.

The 7th guy has a sniper rifle. I mostly use him for the base entering phase. Sometimes I forgo one rocket man to get 2x snipers instead.

Yea the MP7 rules in base missions. Have half of my squad with them now, an my sniper has it in his backpack. AN for my rifle guys i have the SAW a 1 shot launcher in there backpack, Useful as hell really. The super striker is good on burst fire, but am rethinking my squad layout an taking 7 troopers on each mission is something in past for me now.