Save Game / Load game Screen takes long / CRASHES

rktFuel

Here's one for you: when you hit ESC and click on the "Save Game" button, it takes up to 2 minutes to open the actual interface (where you input your save game name ect)

Likewise for trying to "Load Game"

What I've established thus far is that as soon as you start running at about 30 + Save Games ( yeah, crazy I know. But if you guys add an Auto Save feature, this will be reduced greatly) the whole thing locks up, and ultimatly crashes!

You can try and delete games via the Save / Load screen, but this also takes to long. I eventualy deleted all but 10 save games out of my \ufo\saves (or whatever) directory and it was fine.

did I mention an Auto Save feature (like when you start a new mission / every 10 minutes on the World map) would be nice :laugh:

ALT+S and ALT+L save hours of precious gaming time mate with this one :laugh:

Also, a quick tip I found is to exit the game, find the saves directory and delete it from your file browser - much quicker and the file names are all still the same.

I can only imagine that it gets slow as it has to possibly open up all teh saves to retrieve the file dates for you. With each file being over 1MB, if you accidentally put the date code at the end of th save game protocol instead of at the start, you're in for a long wait :)

It's just another guess of mine, but sounds the most likely.

I am not sure it is related to the number of saved games. Sometime I have to wait up to about 20 seconds for the load/save screen to appear, the red hardrive light is on continuously, this can happen with just 7 or 8 saved games, where as having 15 or 20 saved games works in just 1 or 2 seconds, seems quite random! Also deleting a saved game can take up to 10 or so seconds to work.

Apparently fixed in the v1.2 patch. It was related to the number of games. Try not to use so many saves,a nd if you tire of deleting tehm one at a time, try my suggestion further up the page for removing lots of old saves until you apply the patch

Topic closed.