UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

It also makes you stand still for nearly any other action... :(

But you guys don't want to make an all powerful motion scanner. Let's face it, with an alien nav, a chunk of elerium, and a mind probe... Well, if you're not careful, you could take all that and track every life form in a hundred mile radius, couldn't you?

Make it 'tricky to use', like how the UFOpedia describes it. Spotting aliens whilst running shouldn't be 'easy'.

As far as Genega goes, I'm about ready to throw him in the infirmary with memory loss (as far as that night goes) and a headache. Any objections?

I've been swamped for ages. I wanna write a post. Is there any listing or map anywhere of the base? Who sleeps where? How many people per dorm? As far as I know, Howitz is on the roof, snoring like Snoopy. :(

Other info I'd like pointed out to me nice and clear (in big pretty letters :( ) includes who's in med, who's not, and when X-Com next gets to go and kick some aliens! :(

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, BB, sounds good to me. Drop Genega in the med-lab and we'll untagle what happened when Vet dares show his face. :(

For a map of the whole base, among other things, go to https://ca.geocities.com/kkoehn3/xcom_links.html (BIG thank you to JFG, that page is a lifesaver). I would imagine the barracks are long hallways with doors evenly spaced either side, two people to a room. I don't think we have a list of who's sleeping with whom (uh, in the same room that is, not, y'know, well not yet) but Howitz could be kipping with Hankosha, Conner or Johann.

Ki-tat Chung is in med-lab, I think Jennings is out by now (he was only lightly wounded), I'm not sure whether Ross has been moved off-base or not but he's definitely wounded.

We next go and fight the aliens on a terror mission, which goes sour and results in the decimation of squad 3.

Hmm, I saw that page once! :(

Much surprised to see my site on it. Maybe he'll update it to include my new one, which has very little X-Com stuff; but no matter. :(

Seems the page hasn't been updated in more then a year. What have you been doing, JFG? :(:(

Cool maps though. Logically set out and everything.

Anyhoo, the other thing I've been thinking of is this. How about I make a topic, close it and sticky it, and just have the one post sitting there for easy access. That post can contain which troopers are in action, who owns them, and their current status (injuries and the like).

And any other info of use.

When the post needs updating, I can be PM'd the info and then I'll update accordingly. That way, there'll be an up-to-date note sitting there for everyone to see.

Any good? B)

Ok, the status post is up and running, now all I want is for you guys to feed me lots of info to put in it. As much character info as possible would be good. It'll help new authors (such as myself :( ) get into the fic without wading through loads and loads of out-dated posts.

(I'm currently trying to find some stuff on Genega! :( )

*goes back to JFG's site*

Ok, so when was that last updated? :(

Seriouly, a date stamp would be nice... :(

Really seriously, I've got a sneaking suspicion most of those characters haven't had any activity for an age. The owners seem to be AWOL 50% of the time, if not 100%.

It does take the wind out of my sales, though. That was what my post was supposed to be for... :(:(

Your post is still relevant, BB, it saves skipping back and forth, plus how you organise it is up to you, you can take the data from JFG's page and sort the characters into their different groups if you want. Most of the characters haven't had any development for a while, you're right, and most of the people who started writing the fic ARE indeed AWOL. We'll have to rectify that. :(

I won't add anything that's not sent to me. The fic progresses slowly at the best of times, so I really can't tell who's writing and who's not without being told.

Hank, for example, hasn't posted since March. However, he's got one of the most recent posts. I know Tammy's online a bit, but I doubt she's been here for a while.

Yeah, it's probably been a year... I guess I should mark off who died and when...

I've taken the attitude of write for any character you want, but as a favor to the creator, check with them before killing or maiming. Which is why characters marked specifically as "filler" or "high mortality" are so useful.

The posts focusing on just one character (typically written by the creator) don't really promote the feeling of a tightly-knit squad or interactive base. So we HAVE to drag other characters into the mix.

PS. good post, BB

I've got a squad 3 post up my sleeve somewhere. It's languishing at the back of my mind, as soon as someone comes up with some characters to fill the places taken by the actors I'll start on it. Or if someone gives me the go-ahead to make up some characters I'll do it.

Yep, don't let Charles Bruheme (squad 3) survive that terror mission. Also make sure that he goes crazy from psionics first.

On another note: Don't really expect to see my post updated soon. I won't have time the rest of this week to work on it, and then I'm being dragged on a two week holiday. (Getting to look forward to about a day or two accumulated time in a car. Home (calgary) to Edmonton to Edson to Vernon then back.)

If anybody needs to write in what happens in the security station, it's like this: Daniel starts ranting about how he's realized what can help it at least(Spinny). (But we still can't detect it due to lack of nav core) After he gets pulled back to reality, Dana finishes explaining what happened, Daniel gets reprimanded for losing his card, gets issued a new one anyways, and everyone goes on their merry little ways.

Cajun?  Damn.  Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

Rereading the fic I note Snickers uses a voice for Dujardin much like yours, and he's the creator, so that puts me in the wrong :(

Story arcs: Permit me to shape the foreseeable future a little bit.

Back at base - more base science development & side plots, motion scanner breakthrough?, one or two laser pistols.

Mission 3 - squad3, terror. Objective to capture a live alien discarded in favor of panicked retreat from cyberdisks & psionics. Resulting orders 1) never enter terror sites at night if possible 2) get cracking on those laser rifles & armor.

Back at base - laser rifles, armor, motion scanner. XCOM/UN resolve to shoot down all UFOs encountered from now on as they could be on their way to another terror site.

Mission 4 - squad1, snakemen shot down. lasers and armor work well. Terrick is spotted pocketing tech or artifact or communicating with corp. (Maybe skip floaters entirely?)

Back at base - Terrick confronted and turned. Elerium/power research?

Mission 5 TBD. Maybe terror site (snake/chrys or floater/reaper)

Side mission - swoop in and rescue Terrick's family (hostages), possibly after they are located and/or freed by XINV agents. (ref FullAuto's side story.)

OK, I'd better get writing now, to show I can walk the walk, eh? Discussion welcomed.

Well, I'd like to write the assault on Pine Gap one day... I didn't put those flimsy stamped-steel doors on the stairwells for nothing, you know.

"Floaters in the elevator shaft" "Ah, that explains the sticker 'Do not use in case of fire or alien invasion'."

Although afterwards we either need to move the base or come up for a convincing explanation for "alien amnesia". You know, the logic that says "Even if base assault failed, remove human base from threat map." :(