UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! As far as I know there is a HWP on this mission. Hiro asks it to deliver fire support into the wheat field, then it clears an area to the south, then it blows up a bit of the orchard and gets hit with a stun bomb before flushing out a sectoid.

Right? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a continuation of the previous post, and the attraction of Icarus to me may be a light dose of psionics, but you can make of it what you will.

I should mention that Icarus is going to be a sort of early warning system against aliens, as he's afraid of aliens. (but you don't know that yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I must say: Posts! w00t! yaah! eeehehehe!

Now for what I must say, although I I feel guilty for saying this (because we haven't had a new post for sooooo long... myself included). But the problem is: the motion tracker wouldn't be anywhere NEAR testing stage right now (less than a week after work actually begins on it)

Of course, I don't know anything about real research progression (as I am still in high school) but I'm pretty sure something advanced like that would first need the mathematics + theoretical concept done first. That's the stage they're in right now. Next would come the design for a crude test proto-prototype (Proof of concept, I guess). For the motion tracker it would be something like a LED that blinks on when it senses motion - very basic. After that would come the actual making of the proto-prototype.

Then we would probably experiment with adding directional and distance detection, but not at the same time. So, distance would be a light that fades dim or bright depending on how far away motion is. And the direction would have a separate proto-prototype / Proof of Concept.

THEN we would get into the stage of prototype motion trackers as seen in the game. Once these work, it would finally go into production. Of course, that is after adding 'tweaks and polishes' such as an actual casing for it (as several of the prototypes would be literally glued, taped, and pinned onto a board of plywood or plastic :) ).

At least that's what I have in mind for the progression of MT research.

Of course, someone much more knowledgeable than me (like JFG, for instance) should prove me wrong for a design concept for an actual thing, and the 'plan' posted above.

AAAAUGH! I did it again! I wrote a mini-novelette for a non-fanfic post! :)(Why do I always do this? It just makes me feel... like a big fat show-off.)

----------------------

*Me looks at date* Whoah! I've been away for a looong time! I'd start to feel more guilty about not posting were it not for the fact that JFG said that he has a wrap-up on the back burner. *takes guilt-o-matic and fires at JFG*

And the only modifying needed would be to remove the inclusion of the motion tracker. (And if the scientist was testing the motion tracker, he wouldn't be blabbing it off to anyone, because it's got some serious wizardry gone into it.)

D@mnit, Ali, that got me in my guilty gear. *staggers*

Motion tracker - we have the technology now for an ultrasound-based motion tracker - it's how mobile robots determine how close a wall is, and of course if that changes between two readings, either the robot or the wall has moved. Through walls, though, would take a little more - especially if you want your electromagnetic energy to bounce off living creatures but pass freely through metal walls. Unless we just have very complex ultrasound echo analysis, and use the bounced sound coming through the air vents and down the hallways...

Anyway, yeah, the post.

I'll distract you with some more could-be-screenshots-of-Grand-Theft- Xcom: https://www.gamespydaily.com/news/screenshots.asp?id=5485

Oooh... finally a medium to put my evil-genius-type-plans to test before trying them out in the real world... I mean, uh... Cows are, erm, going moo.

An ultrasound-motion detector? That's just great. It makes my idea seem like a startrek device. I was thinking about something that would detect motion itself. Seeing as that's what the game MT does, it seemed fine. You helped me to realize that, yeah, I have no idea what kind of technology to use. Seeing as I'm also not very informed as to what's out there, I don't think I'm the one to be trying to make it up.

Ultrasound or EM both sound much better and more practical than what I had thought up of. (fluidic space, magnetogravitic disturbances, graviton changes... bleh!). So now I have no idea what to do. "Detecting changes in actual graviton wave patterns..." wouldn't sound out of place in an episode of startrek, but this still is based on a sci-fi game. On the other hand there could be a more realistic approach, but then there's the associated problems with that. (Plus I'd already written posts using the former.)

So, what say you?

The current motion detector the sci's are working on is a basic one, and is still in testing, therefore, it's still an idea. their trying to get the motion detector to detect things, but ther is nothing said in my post about it actually working.... :) , therefore, I allow others to play around with that.

Ali, maybe... the first breakthrough from studying the captured Alien Navigation System is a very sensitive mass detector (graviton-based, if you like, like the alien flying saucer drive).. since we're likely to not research and build any until after we field Laser Weapons and Alloy research, we can ignore that little part of the game that says we can develop it without capturing any UFO technology, for the sake of your poor genius in the fanfic.

• 3 weeks later...

Galloping glaciers! It lives... thanks to Easter chocolate power

The fic has now returned to base for welcoming new recruits, expanding on scientific breakthroughs, and general kibitzing and drinking sessions before the next mission. Make use of the time, as the Sectoid High Command are preparing a terror site as bait to draw in XCOM.

• 2 weeks later...