UFO Role-Playing Discussion Forum

crispy

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I'll write them in... kinda...

There really is nothing 'special' going on, afterall, all characters are special to the creators, right? If my characters get to have a good go in the story, the 'special thing' about it is just that (for me anyway).

Sorry if I confused you.... again even... hehe

oh yeah, is there anyway technical guy can be on ufo recovery mission? I fear not.

- Wormfist

I wouldn't think so, but you can always have another character who's a soldier. It's still early and no squads have been formed or anything. My vote would be to allow new characters to be created as we go anyway, because an organization like this would always be on the lookout for new recruits, and you can recruit in the game, too.

After a mission, there's an after-action team doing the cleanup and salvage. Slice could be on that. We won't write about all of them, of course, but one or two episodes could give the flavor.

"Well, we would have been able to salvage a navigation module, one of those flashy green things we don't know anything about yet, and an alien leader. But SOMEONE fired a heavy rocket inside the UFO. So what we got is another wheelbarrow load of alien alloy. Can't you soldiers use stun rods or something?"

You could always write him in as cockpit crew for the missions, that would make sense. The only problem being though Doc and Cheeseman already have that space filled so you'll have to chat with him about that.

But definitely write about the first recovery mission as it will show what else gos on in the base.

What? Someone's in charge? :o

No, my mission generator doesn't do recovered items.* And I don't have the free time this week that I used a few weeks ago to design the base, so the position's still open for anyone to design an over-reaching story arc we can all follow. Presumably like XCOM fanfics before us, it'll end in Cydonia.**

But for the first mission, you can reliably count on recovering some alien alloys, a plasma weapon, and a smoking dead sectoid or two. Perfectly plausible within the PC game.

JG

*hmm...:) As the engineer said looking up at the sticking guillotine, I can see how to fix that.

**hmm...:) Alternate ending #1: Brain wakes up Aquatoids, who quickly sweep Earth and have a hostile reception waiting for the Avenger.

Alternate ending #2: Cydonia was a suicide mission. Game over. :)

Alternate ending #3: We win. Big feast with the Ewoks.

Pretty much that's right for what we'll recover but it really doesn't matter.

If it's a UFO mission then we'll recover what we would on the game... If it's shot down for example then no engine but maybe navigation. If in the tactical part of the fic someone chucks a grenade into the UFO then more items will be destroyed by the blast. A landed UFO that survives the mission intact will yield a power source, alien alloys and navigation. (If it's a bigger UFO then maybe foo, entertainment and even examination later on)

Weapons will be retrieved for each killed alien that is not killed in an overly aggresive way. For example, a sectoid hit with a rifle is more likely to yield a working gun than one killed with a rocket, etc.

What you'll need to do really Wormy is to see what the missions are as and when they come. Then come here and discuss each one seperately.

Wormy?? :) You'll have to excuse TJ--he likes to give people nicknames. :)

That's a good point, actually. We can discuss what should be going on at any given point right here, including what we should be recovering. We seem to be at kind of a standstill until squads are formed, btw. Who's going to do that? Warlord, TJ, and I have kind of decided to have Warlord, Tammy, and Rick together, I think. I can't decide whether Poison should be in that squad or a different one. Suggestions?

I actually got the feeling I was creating the standstill a little bit, as this Rick was mentioned here and there to make his existence possible or/and to give me a hint to fire the guy into the story.

But I'm a little bit shy to get it off the ground really...

But if that isn't the case... then I said nothing.

- Ben

PS. I really don't mind nicknames, hehe... And good idea about the mission-to-mission-discussing-thingy

If it's a bigger UFO then maybe foo, entertainment and even examination later on)

I always wondered where foo came from...

Hi Tammy: Poison could be assigned to 'B' squad with my Green guy and those wacky Chung brothers. That'll give you twice as much writing opportunities, and plots to keep track of. It gives us a scout to go with my rifleman and "Tank" as heavy weapons. And some rookie medic :)

Assuming Tammy can sweet-talk Ms. Graham into customizing the 'A' squad roster. Fat chance of getting to talk to the commander personally. Thru official channels, anyway.

That leaves...Hiro, and 4 characters from Snikers (Mouse, Sandy, Garden, and Jennings)

They could end up in A, B, or C squads, and assignments could be shuffled around to compensate for mission casualties later.

Snikers, any squad distributions come to mind?

Carlos, are your spooks going to grab a rifle and a vest and join the ground teams, or continue to be spooky?

Filling in blanks with to-be-named red-shirts, of course. The commander wants the final squad assignment sheets by 0600...

Poison could be assigned to 'B' squad with my Green guy and those wacky Chung brothers.

Although it would be pretty funny to have the Chungs working together, it doesn't seem too realistic. In US and other nations' militaries, people in a familiar relationship aren't placed in the same squad or whatever. I think its been a common thing since Pearl Harbor, where one of the ships that sank had two or three brothers on board, both killed. Anyway, just my $0.02

I agree that in normal military situations this is the norm but this is not a normal military organisation and so the norm does not strictly apply in this case.

I believe that in an organisation such as XCom that the two brothers would in fact be encouraged to fight together to increase morale and bravery and improve teamwork within the group.

I believe that in an organisation such as XCom that the two brothers would in fact be encouraged to fight together to increase morale and bravery and improve teamwork within the group.

We're talking heavy morale modifiers, though. Wound one, and the other goes berserk.

It is unrealistic, I guess (Saving Private Ryan springs to mind, in real life they'd have parents somewhere who should be spared the shock). On the other hand it could make the fic easier to write because of the natural interaction and bickering. And yeah, special forces=special rules.

Ki-tat, any comment?

I put this put in UFO section, I dont see that there is a special topic for it..:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone sent me a mail to know what i have done with GURPS and UFO...

I sorry to say that i give all my RPG books (no more time to play, cause of my wife and my daughter).

I give below the 2 greats idea of the campaign i do...

1rst... It is a solo campaign... The player wake up in a hospital room... He dont remenber exactly whats happened to him... He learn he get an accident with his car... His wife is happy to see that he no more in a coma...

His live continue normally, he's working in pharmacetic industry...

I sure that everybody ask: what is the link with UFO ???

During the night, he dream of a man which laught just front of him... He sure he know this man... He start to speak about this man to his wife.. She dont know him... He received a call from Police which tell him that his accident is a sabotage... He speak to them about the "man of the dream" and decide to go to police to see if they know him in their files...

After long research, he finally find this man, recognize as a criminal (muderers, rapes, and so on...). The inspector propose to him to learn to use guns for his own defense... He accept..

When he start the training, he surprise to see that he know how to use every weapon... He shot like a killer.. Able to put all bullets in a 1 cm2 at 100 m of range (without laser sight, or scope)... He feel really strange.. He understand something going wrong...

2 stranges men come at this home... they explain to him that he was killer used by the government (his job is a cover), and this wrong ennemy is "Wolf Angus" (the "man of the dream". They explain to him that they want he find him, and kill him, once of all... He accept..

A long search start, the player understand that Angus working in a really powerfull organization... After a long track, the player finally learn that Angus will be in a great mansion (on a island) in few days.. He go, and fall in a trap... Angus and some of his men waiting for him...

They drug him and transport him to a curious place.. He see strange aircraft, men in heavy armor, and they all have the same insign "Xcom" (now, you understand the link )... when he wake up, he was bedroom.. He already know this one... Angus entered, and explain him :

The truth...

Steve (the player name), is one colonel of Xcom forces... During a permission in a city, he was kinnapted by Aliens.. They erase his memory and put a new one... They want to push him to find Angus (the Commander of Xcom) and kill him (they just forget the strong link between all the Xcom men )... Angus think that Steve have been killed by the alien... Finally, he learn that S. look for him and something going wrong (during the track, S. try to kill him 2 times). So he organize a trap to recover his soldier.

This scenario is a mix between Xcom and the film "total recall"... This topic is not enough to show the depth of the game and the fun we (the player and me) get to play it... We play during one complete year (2-3 hours a week, the track is really really long)...

Ok, I tell you the 2nd campaign later

I looking for your opinion on it....

Right well Worm has now been written into the story. And just to straighten some stuff out the Rick that I was writing for was my soldier not your guy so there are now two. I think I've made that clear in the story though so just to make sure you understand you should go and read my post...

I read all the fanfic posts anyway...

When you were writing about your Rick I searched the CharProfiles for other Ricks, but found only mine.... guess I missed someone there... ah well...

Has worm been with xcom from the start, like a few years now?? Looked like he's a main scientist now or something.