Sharing this new mod......putting the APOCALYPSE into X-com apocalypse

Kendrick-SG

I stumbled upon this as I recently fired up X-Com Apocalypse again, and while some parts of the mod aren't for me, some parts I find rather interesting.

I especially like the change in the alien's strategic approach, starting with attack fleets, and then switching to infiltration. How did you do that?

I've figured this out by playing with apatcher and apoc_d so don't worry about answering this. I notice there aren't really other alternate maps that have been created. I think that the five that exist with the game are ok, especially if you start mixing and matching them to suit the difficulty you want to play at. I wonder if it's worth me creating another map since there are -none- that I've found elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually haven't tried it in full yet, but one thing that I thought was a little too much for me was how armor would be destroyed. I do like the idea about aliens attacking the city from day 1 though. It seems like it would have an effect on limiting X-COM advancement as the score would be kept low due to city damage. Attacking buildings with probes and scouts doesn't seem to work very well though, since the defenders of the building under attack can usually eliminate them.

However, this, among other things on this forum, has inspired me to start working on a new map. With luck, I'll stay interested and will finish it within a month or so.

ah...i actually liked how armor could get destroyed...u see, in the original game, the armour would be 100% intact but the trooper would be killed. now the armor has to go first before the trooper takes damage.

it actually increased trooper lifespan and makes the difference between marsec light armor and megapol heavy armor very obvious

for the probes and scouts...yeah i agree they usually get overwhelmed very fast :) however the biggest damage comes from organization alliances. something that the player cannot see from his screen, but alien attacks on government buildings will rapidly cause 2 factions to form. the pro-gov and the anti-gov. with some corporations purposely neutral

wait till u enter the later weeks, thats when the fireworks really start between serious alien fighting pro-gov and pro-gov fighting anti-gov faction. the city WILL look like its in apocalypse

1 thing i have not 'balanced' yet is the market tho....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Will seriously have to check this out. What is needed to run it? and is it compatible w/ other mods?

One thing I noticed (regular game) that I hadn't before, is that hostile organizations can already make for a 3-way brawl. X-com fighting aliens fighting X-com and hostile building security forces whilst fighting (and looting) the organization security forces (not that the security teams stand up too well to X-com heavy weapons and psionics teams. Pissed off transtellar recently and after surveying the infiltration graphs, went to go clean out one of their buildings, but found the security teams firing at the squad sent to aid them, periodically hearing bursts of plasma discharge, autocannon fire, the odd grenade going off and heavy weapons fire accompanied by screams during the security team's turn in a turn-based game.

Also, any hints on what new items?