Favorite weapon?

The Demi-Godly One

I've a feeling we already had a similar discussion before. But oh what the heck. Anything to while away an uneventful evening.

I have no absolute favourite weapon in Apocalypse. In fact, the only weapon I don't like is the laser sniper rifle, but only barely. It's still very useful when used right. I just feel it's a little underpowered compared to the other weapons in your arsenal.

I'll just mention some of the weapons I fancy (not necessarily the ones I use the most):

Megapol plasma gun: I like the plasma gun because it's a very well balanced weapon. It's not as accurate as a laser sniper rifle, but it's still more accurate than most other weapons as well as being one-handed (meaning no accuracy loss). It has good rate of fire (1.2 r/s) and fair range (56m). Better yet, it has much more stopping power than the sniper rifle (35. That's almost as good as an AC-AP shell (40) ) and a large capacity magazine (42 charges). The gun itself is very small (1x2), making it an excellent secondary weapon rivalled only by the Megapol Lawpistol and the overkill Toxi-gun. I still tend to keep a few around late into the game for city use because they're almost as good as the alien disrupter gun.

Megapol Lawpistol: A great short-range alternative for the M4000 machine gun (one-handed too). My only gripe about it is its small ammunition clip size (16 bullets). For its rate of fire (2.0r/s), you often end up emptying all the clips far too quickly, and when you do bring plenty, they eat up too much space.

Power sword: For a low-tech weapon, this weapon can dish out more damage than the devestator cannon can in under the same amount of time. Its only downfall is its limited range -- which can be offset by good strategy(setting up ambushes that bring the aliens into close proximity) or personal teleporters. It's an effective weapon -- it's just hard to use.

- NKF

:power:

My favorite weapon is a combination between the disrupter gun and the toxi gun. The problem with the toxi gun is that it has s very smal clip, and the problem with the disrupter gun is the low accuracy. But if you combine them (one in each hand, without any penalty) there are no broblems.

Better still, it's a launcher class weapon. All launcher weapons in the game have homing missiles, so they completely ignore your soldier's accuracy stat.

This makes the launcher class weapons very ideal for low accuracy soldiers or androids (who cannot improve).

- NKF

I wouldn't say that. I had a soldier edited to 1 accuracy and he was still hitting running targets with the launchers just as easily as a soldier with 96 accuracy.

Besides, high stats, while desirable, aren't everything.

- NKF

i like the m4000 machine gun thinggy, low TU cost so you can run up to someone and fill em full of lead, or the auto cannon with HE shells when you raid the Cult of Sirius :devil: *die you alien loving scum* :power: *insert evil, maniacal, insane laughter here*

ok then, ill try that, speaking of incindiary shots,i shot a cult of sirius guy with an IN shell and he just dropped to the floor, got back up and was walking around in the fire without burning, why would that be? Does it work for XCOM units

• 4 weeks later...

I personally don't like them because they're too powerful. But I don't particularly like the heavy plasmas in UFO or the Sonic cannons in TFTD either, even though they are among the best weapons... but hey, that's just me. :power:

The thing about the toxigun is that you don't need very many bullets (darts, crystals, whatever the heck they fire) to kill an alien. So, the trick at using them is to use them at short range so that your bullets have a better chance at hitting. Or if you're at long range: aim and go prone.

If you use dual toxiguns, even when aimed, they're fast enough to practically fire as if they were on full auto. That's rather impressive.

Dual toxiguns on full auto on the other hand are a waste of time. The secondary toxigun rarely even gets a chance to fire on account of the first toxigun's speed. It would be best to use a different weapon, like a devestator as the secondary.

- NKF

For long ranged attacks, yes. But for when you're up close, then the toxigun should get the most focus, particularly if you don't want to damage the shields too much, as a spare shield is often a nice thing to have.

Toxiguns on full auto combined with teleporters -- now there's a killer combination.

- NKF