Bring on the Xenos!

by on 15th Sep 2015

That's what we say. And, apparently, the good folks over at Goldhawk Interactive are of a mind to bring us back to the fray for a second time, eyeing an ambitious return in 3D for a potential Xenonauts 2.

A recent thread at their forums has encouraging developments to report:

(...) the chances of us making Xenonauts 2 as our next game are better than even. The response to and feedback given on a potential sequel by the community has been remarkable and has gone a long way to convincing us that it would be a good idea.

Our biggest concern regarding Xenonauts 2 is whether we can create a workable 3D art style - this not only has to look good in 3D but ideally will also reference the 2D sprite style of Xenonauts 1.

(...) we're going to run some tests over the next few weeks on how we can try to make the art style look a bit more 2D and hand-painted.

(...)

We're working on redesigning the aliens from Xenonauts 1 to make them more interesting, both visually and in terms of the core mechanic for each race. We've got some new ideas for all of the races and we've got some concepts done for the updated Sebillian and Caesan designs that look quite a bit more "alien" than before.

We're playing with the idea of making the Caesans a hive consciousness, with weak drones (above) and more threatening officers. The officers get significant bonuses in combat for each nearby drone, and there is a single collective psionic power attack performed each turn. This might lose power as more Caesans are killed, or perhaps it just gets stronger each turn to encourage the player not to turtle when fighting Caesans (or possibly both).

The Sebillians might have their regeneration turned up to eleven to make them more interesting to play against. At the end of each alien turn, all Sebillians will return to full health ... but in exchange, every time they take damage their maximum health falls by, say, 25% of the damage sustained.

(...)

Xenonauts 2 is looking more likely than not and we're actively designing and prototyping it at the moment, but it'll probably take a month or two until we're ready to make a final decision.

Awesome news in our book!

If you want some more intel, an older thread has a few extra thoughts on the way the're looking to approach the new instalment, so check it out as well.

Our special thanks to Zombie at our forums for bringing this to our attention.

Add CommentComments

Thorondor\
24 Feb 2017 - 9:30am
Thorondor
Posted Image

Check out Xenonauts 2's latest dev update here.
Thorondor\
24 Jan 2017 - 11:36am
Thorondor
Thinking about Ubisoft by any chance, silencer? ;)

As for the nice visuals on display here, for Xenonauts 2 the folks at Goldhawk Interactive have upgraded to Unity 3D. :)
silencer_pl\
24 Jan 2017 - 11:06am
silencer_pl
I hope this is no photoshop.
Thorondor\
24 Jan 2017 - 10:05am
Thorondor
Posted Image

The Xenonauts site is back online and a free build of Xenonauts 2 featuring an early version of a single combat mission is now available (GOG Galaxy required). Learn all about it and future plans for early access here. :cool:
Thorondor\
3 Feb 2016 - 7:37pm
Thorondor
Posted Image

Xenonauts 2 is now officially confirmed, as can be verified at this placeholder site.
silencer_pl\
16 Sep 2015 - 8:52am
silencer_pl
Arcanum got me bored also fast, and you could reach level cap prior to reaching 50% of the game. Also graphics is only race in AAA type games. Just take a look at a lot of indies with 2D graphics that made a name for themselves.
noxtheroxstar\
16 Sep 2015 - 8:21am
noxtheroxstar
I'm not sure. There's so many enjoyable games from a bygone era. Anything and everything recently is all about graphics and pressing your hardware to the next level. The market is all for kids who can't think and want things now. Like a good shovel to the head! I dunno dude. Play Arcanum.
Space Voyager\
16 Sep 2015 - 6:54am
Space Voyager
Personally I'm hoping for a game that would change the battle system dramatically. X-COM system just does not cut it for me any more. There were many better to date and I just can't force myself to start the originals again. XCOM stretched my attention to detail to the fullest and remained fun. If you go for a small number of soldiers, that is one way to go. If you go for more, far more extreme optimization would be needed - like group orders and so forth. I skipped Xenonanuts and most likely, I'll skip this one, too. Even if I could get it to run on my comp...
silencer_pl\
16 Sep 2015 - 6:12am
silencer_pl
Something like that, Xenonanuts were only good for the first half of the game, then it went boring. But we shouldn't scratch them out completely.
noxtheroxstar\
16 Sep 2015 - 6:00am
noxtheroxstar
Although I could look it up, I'll ask someone here to fill me in. And correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't they start this game awhile back but it wasn't until their kickstarter that they finally got it finished? I hope the best for Goldhawk, but man this game was boring. It's like the poor man's XCOM.
silencer_pl\
15 Sep 2015 - 3:26pm
silencer_pl
Let's hope they make it better.
Thorondor\
15 Sep 2015 - 2:08pm
Thorondor
@silencer: sure looks like it. Posted Image
silencer_pl\
15 Sep 2015 - 1:24pm
silencer_pl
They also said that before they start Xenonauts 2 they will do something else... Guess that's old news as they say?

You must be logged in to reply. Please log in or register an account.

Screenshots