C Toxin

dauphinbienveillant

I threw them two at a time, because each of my guys has 2 grenades. I stood on the closest alien transporter pads, and had my other guys on the side of her nest, so she would try to hit them, and i wouldn't have to worry. I would just run a guy up there, throw the grenades, then switch him with another guy. The last 4 guys i threw 4 grenades, and then 4 grenades. Then I just killed all the other aliens and I won.

Here's a thought... maybe you don't have to stun the queen to win? Try killing those eggs around her, and keeping guys to cover the alien transporters outside the nest.

Well, you don't need to kill the eggs to win a mission, but you must stun or kill the queen. The queen's all that's left standing in my test mission.

I'd destroyed every single spawn pad in the area, except for two outside, where I left a pair of soldiers. I'd run out of vortex mines, see. Oddly enough, no more aliens were spawned after half an hour or so. Hmm, perhaps there's an upper limit to the number of aliens that can spawn in a mission? Or maybe these were just dud transporters?

- NKF

i see. i never wanted to get close enough to a megaspawn or psimorph to stun it without first blasting the crap out of it a little, so i didn't know that!

do skeletoids count as early aliens? the first time i encountered one, my maniacal desire to capture all aliens alive drove me to send a lone trooper running all the way up to stun grapple range to down it. he died from the injuries he got as a result, but pff that's just a sacrifice he didn't realise he'd have to make. ah, mindless following of orders... beautiful.

I'm still performing periodic tests with stun grenades, and have been able to paralyse 80% of a Megaspawn by tossing stun grenade after stun grenade almost continuously, but not at the same time. It took quite a long time, and I ran out of ammunition.

I think your megaspawn must have been damaged before it went to sulk in a corner. It must have got hurt by stray bullets while its buddies were exiting the UFO. Same goes for the queen.

You definitely need more than 4 stun grenades.

Think I'll go back to MP and clear out Megapol's entire supply.

- NKF

When I caught the queen, I didn't fire one single harmful shot at her. Just a poop-load of stun grens. The megaspawn I captured wasn't damaged either, when I see an alien, it dies. At the time that I cought it, all of my agents had Toxi-guns. 24 agents with Toxi-guns don't leave anythgin standing.

But here's a thought... What if you don't have to stun her? Maybe just kill every alien in the map, and maybe u can win that way.

Well, been there, done that, and all I got was this blasted mug...

I cleared out all the aliens, including the eggs and the spawn pads, except the queen. The mission did not end.

You have to destroy all your mission targets to win a mission in the alien dimension, even though you may have killed all of the combat aliens and destroyed all the spawn pads. Alien eggs and the chrysalis are a different matter entirely.

Since the queen is a mission objective, you must knock it out or kill it.

- NKF

Major edit: Recall earlier in this thread I mentioned that the maintenance factory was responsible for UFO construction? Scratch that. It's the building immediately after the maintenance factory. The one that looks like a big red disc in the alien cityscape.

Nah, stun damage decreases over time.

So far, from observation, your timing between throwing stun grenades must be just right for them to accumulate. Throw them too early (i.e. several stun bombs at the same time), and there appears to be no effect. Throw it too late, and the previous stun damage will have worn off.

And even then you need a lot of stun grenades so that you'll gather enough paralysis points to knock something tough like the Megaspawn or the queen out while they're at full HP.

I'm beginning to wonder if difficulty level has any hand in this. These tests were all in Superhuman, but maybe, when time permits, I should give beginner mode a try.

- NKF