Ongoing Assault!

Thorondor

post-a2808-MoW-AS-rls-bnr.jpg

The latest stand-alone expansion for the Men of War series, called Assault Squad, has been unleashed today.

Banking on a strong 4-player co-op gameplay, a pool of 5 nations to choose from (Russia, Germany, USA, Commonwealth and Japan), realistic weapon behaviour, and an improved, more authentic, unit direct control mode that puts players in command of individual soldiers or vehicles, it aims to give skirmishers an intense battlefield experience.

Not sure if you should stick your neck out? Try the demo (direct link).

MoW_AS_rls_bnr.jpg

Men of War is an utterly glorious series, even if it lacks that something extra it's spiritual predecessor Soldiers had.

As a beta player I feel like I ought to give people a fair warning though -

Assault Squad is well worth it for the co-op experience alone, but it's a bad idea as a stand alone. Even on the simpler difficulty settings it can be downright brutal. As an experienced player, with a friend, using Skype we can only just lock the enemy in a stalemate for a while on most of the new skirmish maps (although we do play on Hard). Considering we've beaten just about every map in the standard campaigns on Hard without too much trouble, that says alot.

A great addition to MoW for those that like multiplayer, and co-op especially, but if you are just starting out, I would recommend you start with the slightly older Soldiers: Heroes of World War II first, then move on to MoW.

Soldiers does a much better job of introducing new players and since the games are damn near identical, the change from one game to another is fairly simple.