Messed up colours

karadoc

I'm running the steam version of Apocalypse (using dosbox). My problem is that when I alt-tab out of the game and then get back into it, from that point on the colours in the game are all messed up. Actually, if I use the 'skip' command line option to skip the intro, the colours are bad right from the start. This problem only occurs in full screen mode. The colours are fine if the game is running in a window. Also, I don't think I had this problem on my old computer... I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for fixing this. Otherwise I'll just have to not skip the intro, and restart the game every time I want to alt-tab out. (or play in a window which is much too small...)

I get the exact same thing which I think is a Vista/Windows 7 issue (assuming that's what you're on?).

From what I gather it's something to do with the way colours are handled in these versions of Windows, though I don't know a way around it other than what you've mentioned.

I am using Windows 7...

but I found a way to fix it.

In the dosbox config I changed it from

output=surface
to
output=ddraw
. Now the colours are fine with or without the intro/alt+tab. The only problem that remains is that the game doesn't get the focus when it first starts - I have to click before I can move the cursor in the game... but that's really not a big deal.