64Bit of annoying. Help Please

Sectoid135

Okay ive seached through every forum and cant seem to find a answer for me. I am using a laptop and have vista 64bit. I cant get any xcom game to work, specifically the first. Ive tried dosbox but says i need to install the game but I dont have the disk only the files. ive tried patches and all that for the CE and nothing works. IF anyone has any ideas that can help me please let me know. I am stuck

DOSBox is the key I'm afraid, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you, unless you have the Collector's Edition version of the game maybe that used to run in Windows? I assume (not knowig much about the many different versions floating around out there) that DOSBox would only work with the DOS versions.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars (and I mean really only a few) you can get a fully-working version bundled with DOSBox from Steam that works like a charm in Windows Vista and Windows 7, or alternatively all the games whilst you're at it ;)

Link is here: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=xcom

Complete Bundle is a steal, and although I have the games in various formats already ranging from floppy disk to different CD versions, I forked out a few quid just to have it up and running instantly without any hassle. Just call me lazy... :)

Ah, that might be why it's failing then - if your TFTD files are from the CD version then, from memory, it'll look for a CD drive by default to play the intro movie from. I think. Maybe.

It was all such a long time ago that I can't remember for sure, but that sounds about right and doubtless someone else will be along within a few hours with some more helpful and accurate advice ;)

There is a folder called HDINST or HD or something similar on the CD, you can install a Hard-Drive only version of the game from there. I too have the old DOS CDs and on the EU one was a special BAT file to do this without having to look for anything. However on the TFTD one Microprose forgot to include that file, you will Have to do it manually. But it works ;)