Alien Motives

Pumpkinhead

Quick Quiz time! Aha!

TFTD, Aquatoids (commanded by a sleeping Cthulhu wannabe that I refer to as the Great Sleeper), not Mars - Mars is just a temporary outpost used by the Sectoids, from Outer-Space™, roughly, damaged but still operational, they were probably looking for it (casually, not intentionally) and only found it at the last minute when Cydonia was being pulverised (in the TFTD intro), a solar flare shorted the navigational system, Yes but some of the crew in TFTD are bioengineered or enslaved. The UFO Ufopaedia does mention that sectoids have aquatic features. So it's not impossible that the aquatoids are an earlier version of the sectoids.

Too lazy to put them in bullets. Busy busy busy! :power:

- NKF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if the aliens had a choice of whether to send aquatic or non-aquatic aliens, surely they'd send aquatic, as 7/10ths of the Earth's surface is water, and it'd make sense to rule the majority of the planet.

Yeah, but what percentage of the population of Earth lives at or under the surface of an ocean? Assuming 100,000 people are on a surface of water at a given point in time, and an overall population of 6,444,711,777 people, only 0.001% are on an ocean! Humans live, work, and fight mostly on land. So by controlling the oceans, you cannot rule the majority of the planet. Only a very small minority! I would send the land lubbers to fight, and save the specialized aquatic races for something else! :power:

FullAuto is correct that if you lived (and ruled) the ocean floor, you'd rule more land than those "drylander" humans. And maybe an undersea farm of their own is all the aquatoids really want.

Who wants to be in charge of six bilion people anyway?

Oh yeah. The Great Sleeper. I forgot. (He's got quite the appetite when it comes to breakfast.)

Zombie, just because we don't have the technology to rule the world from the ocean doesn't mean the aliens don't. If you look at it from a global point of view, all continents are just really big islands. They're surrounded by water. If you control the seas and oceans, you've surrounded anyone living on land, and being surrounded is the worst of tactical situations.

So let's see if I've gotten this right:

The various aliens came to Mars billions of years ago, back when Mars was lush and green and Earth was still forming, from some mysterious homeplanet (that I think was going to be discussed in Alliance). They colonised Mars, but then used up all the natural resources, basically sucking it dry. Was Cydonia their only city? Then, 65m years ago, they decided to travel to Mars' neighbour, Earth, as it had recently starting blossuming with life, but due to a solar flare, crashed in the process.

The T'leth, unable to send a transmission back to home, was for some reason just forgotten about. If you didn't hear from a colony after a few years, wouldn't you send out a search party of some kind? Why wasn't another colonisation attempt ever made? Anyways, the Martian aliens still visited Earth from time to time in small numbers, seeding the planet with new life and even genetically helping monkeys evolve to humans.

In the late 1900's, these Martians decided it was time to start reaping their harvest, and so came to Earth enmass. Unfortunately, the creatures they created alone the way didn't want their home to be "harvested" and so formed a resistance. For all their supposed intelligence, they mustn't be very smart if they didn't realise that their genetic altering would create intelligent creatures! Or maybe they just forgot to add the "compliance" gene? :power:

Finally, as the Martians were defeated, they sent a transmission to "awaken" the T'leth. If they knew it was still there, and intact, then why did they wait 65m years to contact them? :eh:

Yup, that's about it. Those questions are left unanswered on the X-COM universe.

I've provided with my own answer to some of them on my fanfic, although any other interpretation is as valid as mine.

The Sectoids are originally from Zeta Reticuli (taken from UFO foklore) but their conditions on their planet were worsening. They have a primeaval fear of space (it's ironical but there's also a propose there) but they have no choice to send massive Colony ships that will take millions of years to reach suitable planets on distant starships. But after T'Leth crashes into Earth they discover Elerium and its properties, allowing them to built smaller and faster vessels.

They start colonizing the nearby star systems to avoid extinction and send expeditions to the worlds targeted by the colony ships, discovering that the most of the ships have dissappeared into space or crashed. They don't spot T'Leth because it was originally intended to go to Mars, not Earth, until the solar flare took it off its course until finally drifting into Earth's orbit and crashing into it.

To their puzzlement they discovered that the Martian civilization had self-destructed itself and that the planet had been scorched by some terrific and unknown weapon. But, on Earth they discover a life-supporting planet, full of resources and dominated by mammals, with a few species starting to show intelligence.

And they also discover T'Leth but they didn't activated it (they did only as a last second desperate measure) because not onlu it would send ripples across the planet (and they were avoiding a full scale invasion) but the power of their dormant cousins could rival their own.

The part about them allowing humans a level of development is explainable by the fact that it is preferable to have skilled slaves than unskilled ones. And their human collaborators had ensured them that they could deliver Earth to the aliens.

"deliver Earth to the aliens" - sounds like the pandering side of human nature we can all recognize.

What if XCOM was never meant to succeed? That's why it's so hard to get more funding, and why the rest of the Earth's military aren't participating en masse? (Orbital bombardment argument aside, that is.) XCOM would be seen as a diversion for those in the UN who felt some form of resistance was needed, a way to keep them occupied while the aliens were eased into command.. sure, a few scientific or harvest expeditions might go missing, but a LARGE number of battleships seem to be in reserve.

And then, no-one expects a lone Avenger craft to go off and attack Cydonia - and both the aliens' and the collaborators' plans are overturned in one bold mission.

also, who said cydonia was the only city?

No one. I just assumed it was as there's no other pyramids or anything to mark the entrance to them. The whole planet could have one MEGA subterrainian city for all we know! :power:

and, the distress signal from the fall of Cydonia was only targeted at T'Leth?

Beacause it's referred to as a Tachyon Beam in the manual, which according to Merriam-Webster is: "2 b : a collection of nearly parallel rays (as X rays) or a stream of particles (as electrons)"

In other words, with Tachyons being particles, they were "streamed" from Cydonia, so they would have to be directional, and in this case, aimed at the T'Leth :eh:

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/beam.gif

It was quite a stroke of luck for the aliens that Cydonia was facing the Earth at the time! :P

Interesting tidbit, Mars has had other moons in the past. This is because of the elongated craters on the martian surface which suggests something coming in at a very shallow angle(instead of the very steep angle from an asteroid strike) which was most likly caused by something that's orbit around MArs had decayed enough to let it come down.

Anyways, with the Tacyon Beam, I always figured it was pointed somewhere else not actually at the Earth, it just sorta got in the way or caught the edge of the beam.

I think so :eh:

If the beam was aimed somewhere past Earth, I guess it's possible that the Earth just sort of got in the way :power:

I personally think it would have just been aimed at the T'Leth, but that implies that they knew it was there and intact for the last 65m years and had just done nothing about it.

I figure that if it was aimed to some distant homeworld then it would have to be a big beam, traveling thousands of light years past numerous stars and other big gravity wells would probably distort/disrupt/dissipate the beam. Since the Earth is much closer the beam would be at it's peak power and be friggin huge..............but that's just my opinion on it.

The beam in the intro wasn't that big and was targeted specifically at the earth. My guess it was sent right to the Gulf of Mexico, where T'Leth crashed. Or rather, it targeted a crack in the ocean floor and, 40 years later, a small USO comes out and blows a passing ship, the Hyperion, to bits. Agh, plot holes. Hate them.

"Help, help, they're blowing us to bits! For the love of bovine burgers, someone come and save us"

I like to think they located T'Leth (by coincidence - who knows what else those 'research' ships get up to) and were in the process of reawakening their ancestors when they got blown to bits. But it takes ages to reclone your troops from fresh genetic stock material, rebuild and repair your vast war machine, etc.

- NKF