Tac-map blank screen/freeze upon loading

Alpha_Monkey

Hi.

I'm running the dos version, and have noticed problems saving during missions.

My first game went a couple of months in without trouble, but upon trying to load mid-mission, was presented with a blank black screen with the cursor stuck in the topleft corner. No map, not even the stats/buttons/toolbar thingy along the bottom.

Just running xcomutil btw, and I also used ClarkWehrEnterprises editor to change soldier appearance (something irks me about having a trooper with an Indian name and bright blonde hair, for example), but that's it.

Now I know xcom can be flakey at the best of times, but I don't recall this ever happening on the windows CE version.

Any fixes?

https://www.mediafire.com/?mbmxhyfpmjb

There's the first occurance.

Key presses don't help.

And I've tried running the various .exe's directly (not through dosbox), still no difference.

Beats me. I tried it under CE, my copy of the DOS version under Windows, my copy of the DOS version under DosBox, even with my mapviewer... It worked every time.

Try installing patches 1.2 through to 1.4, see if that makes a difference. If not, perhaps you're missing some important file? If so, my mapviewer might give you a more descriptive accessment of the problem.

Beats me. I tried it under CE, my copy of the DOS version under Windows, my copy of the DOS version under DosBox, even with my mapviewer... It worked every time.

Try installing patches 1.2 through to 1.4, see if that makes a difference. If not, perhaps you're missing some important file? If so, my mapviewer might give you a more descriptive accessment of the problem.

Hmm, ok.

Any chance of a quick guide to patching the game?

I'm having a few problems with it.

Also, is there a way around installing the 1.4 sounds?

I know there's a fix for it, but iirc it doesn't fix everything (like 'splodey zombie/snakeman footsteps).

edit:

Actually, nevermind. I was trying to install over the util-modded game.

Hmm, ok.

Any chance of a quick guide to patching the game?

I'm having a few problems with it.

Also, is there a way around installing the 1.4 sounds?

I know there's a fix for it, but iirc it doesn't fix everything (like 'splodey zombie/snakeman footsteps).

edit:

Actually, nevermind. I was trying to install over the util-modded game.

Hmm.

I've patched to 1.2, then 1.3, then to 1.4.

Now it runs with NO sound/music, and freezes when I try to place my starting base.

Same after installing util.

I know it's highly unusual, but could you send me your dos installation to see if that works?

I'm not sure if it's a bad install or some perculiarity of my system.

How are you attempting to run the game? If you're not using DosBox, I'd advise trying that. The DOS version is notorious for malfunctioning under native Windows 2K/XP.

Edit: For example, my DOS version only barely functions when not using DosBox, I can load saves and not much else.

How are you attempting to run the game? If you're not using DosBox, I'd advise trying that. The DOS version is notorious for malfunctioning under native Windows 2K/XP.

Edit: For example, my DOS version only barely functions when not using DosBox, I can load saves and not much else.

Huh.

Tried again through dosbox and it SEEMS ok.

No trouble loading the saves, though I've only had time for a quick run through a single mission.

Still no sound though.

It may be the case that the upgrades erased your old sound settings. If so, you'd need to re-run the setup app (assuming you haven't tried that already).

Yep, that did it, cheers!

Now. Has anyone ever figured a way of fixing those sound effects, or is that too much to ask?

Everything seems ok now anyway. Great!