#661 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:22 PM

View PostZombie, on 07 December 2020 - 04:39 AM, said:

Well, I got the Russian PSX version of TFTD early last week. Finally! Also that PC Guide Interactive disk featuring X-COM: Apocalypse (just the demo) arrived the day after that. Wouldn't you know it, but the hard drive on the rig I use for scanning crapped out. My backup rig has a broken optical drive so I can't install the scanning software. Got a replacement optical drive on the way so I can get some scans of this stuff up on the site. Fingers crossed. Posted Image

The MicroProse button set is still on it's way apparently. Supposedly the eta was Nov 24 via DHL from Germany but eBay is warning things are really delayed due to the Coronavirus emergency. Not sure when that'll arrive. Hopefully this year yet. I'm patient though. Posted Image

So that's the update in case anyone is interested. Posted Image

- Zombie

Left us scanning the horizon, Zombie? Posted Image

The "heavy hitter" of the bunch you mentioned, in my view, was the Russian PSX version of TFTD and you've finally got that delivered to your doorstep. Great!

I guess we'll join you in the waiting for the MicroProse button set for now. Maybe they'll send that over sooner than currently expected and then you can upload the pics of the whole lot in one go. Posted Image

#662 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:24 AM

Ok. so I finally got some time today to install my "new" DVD drive to my "retro" XP rig, plus found and installed the scanning software to it. So at least I'm back up and running in terms of scanning things. Might as well catch up on adding images of my "recent" purchase of the PG Guide Interactive (October 1997) which you can find on the Magazine Compilations page. I also saved and uploaded some auction images of the CD-ROM Games Demo Disc (April 1996) which I lost out to in October. The one that got away, hopefully I can find another copy of that! ;)

Didn't get around to the Russian TFTD version, I'll try to get that up this year yet.

And still no update on that MicroProse button set. I know shipping has been horrible the last month due to the pandemic, let's hope it shows up soon. :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#663 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:40 AM

Good to see you're back in business hardware-wise, Zombie. Posted Image

On the software front, looking at that PC Guide Interactive stuff, I'm kind of surprised I've never come across BlueByte's Extreme Assault. In fact, I just found out from Wikipedia that Incubation even shared that game's "3D" engine.

Always refreshing too is to see splash guarantees that your CD is "Virus Free". Posted Image

Given the rather trustworthy source I'd frankly likely be more wary of bloatware with all that they crammed in there, should it not run on the disc itself and require an install on the PC's HDD.

Fingers crossed for the postal services to get their act together while still in 2020 because inebriation from New Year celebrations surely isn't going to help them finally get things sorted in a hurry. Posted Image

#664 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:38 AM

View PostThorondor, on 28 December 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

Given the rather trustworthy source I'd frankly likely be more wary of bloatware with all that they crammed in there, should it not run on the disc itself and require an install on the PC's HDD.

I got the cover program for the disc to run on my rig no problem, and didn't need to install anything (though I didn't try everything on it). Posted Image

So I took some scans of the Russian TFTD PSX and put that on the Game Versions page today. Also did a little formatting on the page so I could fit 5 pics wide instead of 3. I noticed I'm missing scans of almost all the discs/floppies and "innards" so I guess that'll eventually be next on my list. Posted Image

I managed to get some scans of that X-COM EU PSX promotional flier too. The size of the flier (1 page though) is just barely small enough to fit in the bed of my scanner (the dimensions were 8.22x11.66 inches). Even at 300dpi the file size is a mind-numbing 24.71MB. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#665 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

Looking over your pristine Russian TFTD PSX scans Zombie, I find it only too fitting that the soldier on the back is still aptly named Tough Guy. :D

Other than that, your New Year resolutions for further content upload are also duly noted. ;)

#666 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:18 AM

View PostThorondor, on 31 December 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

Looking over your pristine Russian TFTD PSX scans Zombie, I find it only too fitting that the soldier on the back is still aptly named Tough Guy. Posted Image

Yeah, I noticed that too. :) Not sure how deep this version "dives" into Russian (bah-dum-dum, gotta love puns) as the top screenshot of the Leviathan UFOPaedia entry is still in English and so are the other screenshots under it. I recall other people saying (sometime, long ago) that it's just a normal English version underneath all the pomp and circumstance. Posted Image

View PostThorondor, on 31 December 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

Other than that, your New Year resolutions for further content upload are also duly noted. Posted Image

Got those PSX promotional flyer scans up on the UFO: Enemy Unknown Promotional Items page today. At least I did something constructive today. Gotta work tomorrow, but maybe this weekend I'll continue on with other items.Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#667 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

That promo flyer is pure marketing gold, Zombie.

"It's Going To Sell Like Hot Venusian P00tang" Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, man, can't make this stuff up. Posted Image

#668 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostZombie, on 06 November 2020 - 05:19 AM, said:

I also purchased a set of buttons from MicroProse (supposedly original and not aftermarket) which should be arriving before the end of the month.

Finally got this in the mail yesterday evening! If you are counting with me, that's a 2-month delivery frame. So I don't think it was 100% the seller's fault or due to Covid-19. The package was sent in a oversized bubble envelope (paper outside), folded over and taped shut. Apparently in transit the tape let loose somewhere. It was sorta retaped, and the contents were not damaged. Posted Image

Zombie rant: seller was probably 50-75% at fault for the long delay due to shoddy packaging techniques. Don't be this person! It's dirt easy to get decent packaging materials - almost everyone carries them, and if they don't, you could always ask around at local businesses to see if they have cardboard boxes, styrofoam packing peanuts and/or bubble wrap which they are going to throw out or recycle. We occasionally get questions like that around the shop (mostly for cardboard boxes) and I'm happy to comply if we have something suitable. There's nothing wrong with a bubble envelope for protection, but for overseas shipping I recommend a TYVEK untearable outer mailing envelope as the adhesive flap will never let loose. Posted Image

Anyhow, turns out the MicroProse button was not actually a button, it was a yo-yo of all things. It's literally brand new and unused. I was worried about this being an aftermarket produced item, but now not so much as the cost for even a limited production run would cost too much. (Suppose you could 3D print it and then silk screen on the logo but why)? Plus it comes with two old Maxell buttons which leads me to believe this was an actual MicroProse promo item. As for why it was produced in the first place, I have no idea. Big companies with money to burn sometimes do strange things. Posted Image

That's the news. I'll be putting up pictures of the yo-yo and buttons soon. I'm also in the process of scanning the contents of the German Best of MicroProse Strategy 3-game compilation. Lots of stuff in that box so it is going to take a while. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#669 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

That's why they call a long haul delivery, Zombie. ;)

That must have been one of the longest waits for something to land on your doorstep, but it was worth it for the novelty item you ended up getting. A yo-yo of all things!

I'm thinking they figured - how about seeding brand placement among kids? The sooner you get them into the fold the better. :P

#670 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:28 AM

View PostThorondor, on 05 January 2021 - 09:36 PM, said:

That must have been one of the longest waits for something to land on your doorstep, but it was worth it for the novelty item you ended up getting. A yo-yo of all things!

Yup, by far the longest I've ever had to wait for delivery. Though there were a few items that took over a month to reach me, the Russian TFTD PSX version was the latest but the Japanese EU PSX took a long time and so did some of the Italian Apocalypse, TFTD and Interceptor versions. Nature of the beast I guess. Fast shipping (especially from overseas) comes at a significant cost so I'm fine with waiting. But in this case I was actually losing hope it was even going to arrive. ;)

View PostThorondor, on 05 January 2021 - 09:36 PM, said:

I'm thinking they figured - how about seeding brand placement among kids? The sooner you get them into the fold the better. Posted Image

I thought about that too, but were yo-yo's even popular in the 90's? I guess some kids still played with them but they were never a super popular pasttime in the recent decades. If you have the marketing money to spend to expand product placement or brand recognition I guess it all helps. Posted Image

Finally got pics of the yo-yo up on the MPS Promo items page today. Carefully took the thing apart to show how long the string was too. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#671 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,807 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

To take a little stroll back:

So yeah, Zombie, the yo-yo was at some point in the 90's sort of cool I suppose but probably not the plainer variety MicroProse went for.

It would be leaps and bounds more fashionable and with-the-times to be carrying, say, a Game Boy then. Though that spoke to status as well of course.

In any case, you can always just put on one of those Maxell buttons to become instantly Super! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users