I'm on fire!

Fox

Umm... yeah. I've seen it happen to aliens, but I've never been so irresponsible as to let one of MY guys catch on fire.

It was a squaddie, in personal armor, all the way across the map from my guys with medkits. So in my attempt to rush him over to my medic, he burned to death. Sad.

Is there any way to get this guy off the fire? Even if I got the medic there, I doubt it would have done anything. What do you do to put it out?

Suggestions:

1: Sprint someone over to meet him halfway, and have the medic THROW the kit to the new medic

2: Explosions do put out fires, yeah, by leaving scorched earth. Be sure to stand NEXT TO not ON the grenade, and wear a power suit even so

3: Douse the area with a smoke grenade. Fading smoke may take fire with it, but units, not squares, on fire may behave differently.

4: Do unconscious/smoke-choked units continue to burn? Stunstick him if he's too panicked to stop, drop, and roll?

5: Out of suggestions. Grab a cheese sandwich in each hand and toast them. You dead.

Yeah stunning the guy seems to be the best way...

I don't have that saved any more, I saved over it.

Throwing the medikit would have been out of the question in my position. He was literally across the map from EVERYONE. I didn't see him until he had been on fire for 3 turns.

Owell.

• 4 months later...

The underwear-on-the-outside crusader, Guinea-Pig Man, to the rescue!

Items don't get destroyed by fire. I guess it's because each individual item doesn't have their own hit-points that go down every turn -- they remain constant. They only get destroyed when the damage dealt to them is greater than their armour value. Fire doesn't do very much damage between turns, and as the items have constant armour, they don't get destroyed (that is if the game makes any attempt to destroy the items every turn). I don't know if items can get destroyed by the initial impact of an incendiary round.

On the other hand, unconcious soldiers in a tile that's still on fire can get hurt. The corpse item that represents the the unconcious soldier may not get hurt, but the health of the unit that the item represents does get affected by the fire damage. Armour reduces the severity of the damage inflicted.

Armoured units (that haven't got fire stuck to their persons), seem to be able to end their turn on tiles that have already been set on fire without penalty. This is at least true for the power armour. I haven't tested this much with the personal armour, but it seems to ignore the flames. Finally, don't try this with unarmoured soldiers. :(

I've used incendiary weapons to good effect in both UFO and TFTD many times before, but I hadn't realised how messed up the incendiary effects actually were!

1. If you knocked out a soldier and throw the body on a burning tile, the soldier eventually dies in a few turns, but the body vanishes and reappears in the spot the soldier was initially stunned. I've got a rough idea why this happens. I think the same happens when you stun a unit, carry the body somewhere else and then detonate a grenade on it, the actual corpse will be created at the spot the unit was stunned at. The game's just forgetting to update the unit's location properly.

2. The impact damage of an incendiary weapon sometimes takes effect on a different unit -- usually the last unit you set fire to (not sure if it's only based on that turn or otherwise). For example, I set fire to a floater with an incendiary round. Then I turn around and shoot one of my own troopers. Who dies when the second bullet hits? The floater. It's weird I tell you! I was able to repeat this several times too. I even managed to kill a random floater that I hadn't even seen yet.

3. As most of you probably know by now, if you perform the killing blow to a zombie with an incendiary round, the chryssalid/tentaculat does not hatch.

4. In one earlier case, a muton that was killed with an incendiary round turned into a female civilian before dying. But I'm not sure if this is related to incendiaries in general, as I have seen sectopods dropping X-Com HWP corpses.

- NKF

3. As most of you probably know by now, if you perform the killing blow to a zombie with an incendiary round, the chryssalid/tentaculat does not hatch.

A good game tip for the Field Manual. Cooking zombies with flame deep-fries the hatchling Chrysallid. Oh yes I remember that scene from Aliens. We ain't got flamethrowers but we got these AC-I rounds (cha-chunk). :(

Just a reminder: The zombie has to be killed with an incendiary explosion. Just letting it run about on fire doesn't seem to stop the chryssalid from hatching.

Mmm... I can't think of anything clever to say about that. :(

- NKF

I haven't tested this much with the personal armour, but it seems to ignore the flames.

I DO recall stepping in the flames with personal armour and getting burnt.

2. The impact damage of an incendiary weapon sometimes takes effect on a different unit -- usually the last unit you set fire to (not sure if it's only based on that turn or otherwise). For example, I set fire to a floater with an incendiary round. Then I turn around and shoot one of my own troopers. Who dies when the second bullet hits? The floater. It's weird I tell you! I was able to repeat this several times too. I even managed to kill a random floater that I hadn't even seen yet.

LOL, you're quite right about that, I fired at a floater once and a soldier which was behind the shooter got unconscious!