X-COM Wiki

GazChap

For wiki articles, I meant, but it would be fun to have them as mini-smily-type icons on this forum too! :D

It shouldn't require 36 unique icons. Just the 15 base modules + 1 dirt icons used by the game (twice that if you want the lower-level floorpans). You probably wouldn't even need to use a table. Just display a row of six on the first line, line break, the next line, and so on.

- NKF

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I worked out what you meant and chopped out some of the content of my post. :D

At first I thought you meant displaying all the icons making up your map in a forum post, meaning you'd need to display 36 images there (which the forum is configured to disallow).

I made a short page for the Abductor. I didn't know how to link to a certain part of a page for the Alien Missions, since they're all listed on one page. Either way, its there now. I didn't have the official description given by engineers in game, will add that later.

Do you guys mind if I add some parts about Apocalypse? I noticed that it's completely empty (except someone who has apparently added random pieces of information scattered around). I don't think I can be as creative or informative as NKF or any of you, but just help make the section a bit useful for us Apoc lovers :P

I originally populated the Apocalypse listing with bits and pieces to get the ball rolling, but it was meant to be a draft and I never intended for them to actually be used as-is. Rather, I was expecting them to be reorganized or at least streamlined before articles were actually created.

But of course, feel free to add or completely re-do any of the sections as you see fit. The wiki is an ever growing beast, and the more contributors, the better. Sometimes it's a bit awkward when you realise there's only handful of us that regularly add to it...

- NKF

Oops, apparently I deleted your comments, NKF :) I changed some names in the main page in the Apocalypse entries, and I really didn't realise that the whole content was deleted when the name was changed, I'm terribly sorry. I promise I'll try to work on the Apocalypse part as much as possible to repair the damage and to give the wiki a decent Apocalypse source :P

The content wasn't deleted. You just pointed the Wiki away from where the content was.

If it's any help, if you go to the 'recent changes' page, you can see all the notes where any user has done something. If you click the 'diff' link for a given edit, it will show you the exact changes made. Thus if you want to know what it was previously, you can use this information to change it back.

Given this, I'll attempt to track down the old pages, and move their content onto the new pages you have created.

*BB goes and checks on what was done*

Woah, that's a lot of pages to shift! :P 'Scuse me if I mess the main page up a bit while I work.

Edit: Actually, turns out that there's a built in function to change the name of a Wiki-page, so that'll simplify things a bit. :)

What I wouldn't mind is a button to remove pages. Can't seem to find one. Even 'renaming' a page leaves a re-direct, you can't wipe out all trace. Must have to manually remove the info from the server, as a security measure or something. :)

I think the scoring system for captured aliens is mistaken. I've never gotten many points for captured aliens, especially soldiers and terrorists. I'm pretty sure I've even gotten 0 points before on reapers or chryssalids.

To check, I let a muton terror ship land, and captured 4 live aliens. I got 36 points for them...thats less than 10 each. This is on the playstation version, but I think its the same elsewhere(been a long time since I played it on pc).

If I'm not mistaken, the scores you get for capturing aliens vary. I think one of the influencing factors may be their ufopaedia entries. It seems you get better points the first time you capture them, but after you've researched them, capturing more of them is just redundant.

But that's just a theory. I've never really paid it much attention - except whether it was negative or positive. :P

Loupgris:

Diane Duane's novel is a fair read by itself, and presents an interesting insight and fleshes out a possible setting for X-Com to be in, but it's not necessarily canon with the games despite being the official novel. Actually, that's true with almost every game-to-novel novellas out there.

The novel however does not help players better understand how the game works. It may provide players with a richer imagination of what's happening (in their minds) with its what-if scenario. At the moment, much of the wiki is devoted to helping players understand the game better (often to unnecessarily nauseating detail), but that's not to say that a niche cannot be found somewhere on the wiki for information in the novel. I mean, it contains all sorts of bits and pieces - some of which I have absolutely no idea why they're there, but they are. So there you go. :)

- NKF

The novel however does not help players better understand how the game works. It may provide players with a richer imagination of what's happening (in their minds) with its what-if scenario. At the moment, much of the wiki is devoted to helping players understand the game better (often to unnecessarily nauseating detail), but that's not to say that a niche cannot be found somewhere on the wiki for information in the novel. I mean, it contains all sorts of bits and pieces - some of which I have absolutely no idea why they're there, but they are. So there you go. :P 

- NKF

I was thinking about just a little page in a corner : X-com a novel and the list of informations I have written, who may interest peoples, like those willing to do an rpg based on the X-com world. As i say my english writing need some corrections, and I have not understand how to put something on wiki (I never understand anything about computers).

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm....this is weird, when I open the Ufopedia I can't see the new page I've added but when I check my contributions or the page history it appears there. Oh well.

I am going to write also a section concerning designing new terrains, based on what I've already written for UFO2000.