Names

Saber123

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Ms. Speares, she who thinks that wearing clothes is something that happens to other people, covered head to toe in a power suit. A definite improvement if it were for real. :confused: I can imagine right know young people and impressionable little children running about in bulky but floppy suits of pseudo-armour to their favourite Brittany tune... no. Bad thought, bad thought, bad thought.

I think once a long time ago I named some of my soldiers [bait] with the brackets, for some fairly obvious reasons. But that was also around the time I'd decided naming them all 'Soldier' was a bright idea. seeing as I wanted to avoid getting too attached to any particular soldier.

Then I came up with a brilliant method of awarding my own medals to them. Only works in the dos edition of the game, sadly. It works by typing ctrl+backspace, which then creates a copyright symbol, i.e. the medallion. Then putting down a few less-than symbols to denote the level of the medal. Or was it greater-than symbols before the medallion? Either way it was neat.

Tier one medals got personal armour. Tier two medals got power suits. Tier three got flying suits.

Pity it doesn't work in the collectors edition, since the direct-x keyboard handler captures invalid key strokes properly.

- NKF

And you can configure XCOMUTIL/RUNXCOM to add three different types of tags.

1 is Snpr=Sniper, Sct=Scout

2 is b=brave, h=heavy weapon/strength,

3 is numeric stats (confirmed kills, anyway).

PS. Ki-tat, heavy plasmas don't actually weigh very much, I think the strategy guide says they weigh little more than the standard rifle. Heavy damage, yes, but light through the miracle of alien technology.

Even Britney can swing it.

Heh, Heavy plasmas are light. Its things like rocket launchers that need a lot of strength. Soldiers with 30+ strength usually do all right if all they're carrying is the gun and one or two clips of ammo.

Of course, if you want a truly weak soldier to lug an incredibly heavy weapon about, it's probably a good idea to have that soldier drop the weapon at the end of the turn (2 TUs) and pick it up at the start of the next (8 TUs). You'd probably spend less TUs doing that than you would if you ended the turn with the weapon in your hands.

You do lose the ability to use reaction fire, but one-shot weapons like the rocket launchers really shouldn't be fired via reaction fire. It's too dangerous.

- NKF /wx

And you can configure XCOMUTIL/RUNXCOM to add three different types of tags.

Yep, I also use X-COMUTIL to add speciality tags, like grenader for example.

I used to name soldiers with friends names, but I'm refraining to do that because I usually ended by reloading when some of them was killed... still, the only soldier I name is the Commander (when I get him/her) and it's my nick :confused:

Hiya everyone. This is my first post here.

Some of you are talking like you have a lot of guys and expend them like kleenex.

I get a squad of 14 guys, just enough to pack out a skyranger. I expand this to an additional 14 on the other side of the world after about 4 years. Then, when I'm developing psi stuff, I'll get an additional 10 per team, so that I can still have a full squad while training.

I don't really get into psi too heavily, and generally sack the worst guys after some basic training. I keep enough extras to pack out avengers when I get them.

When I go for Mars, I bring together the cream of the crop, pack them on board an avenger, and away we go.

Back on topic:

I rename soldiers based on thier shooting skill. <50 they get names like "Billy Bob Joe", "Cleatus One-toe", & "Bobby Jo Sue", >65 they get names of characters I like from TV, film, comics, whatever. In between I leave them with thier normal names.

One time I had a chick with an accuracy of 40 and, inspite of lots of close range blasting, it only got up to about 45. On the other hand she had about 100 TUs!! So I gave her a electro-stun baton and renamed her Lanina Huxley. (anyone else seen Demolition Man?)

Note that, if I'm playing on a higher difficulty, I will fire and replace any rookie who dares posses a shooting accuracy below 50.

Ah! No re-loading!! It becomes clear to me now! I guess you guys really hate blaster launchers then!!!:confused:

I play without loading sometimes, but not, I admit, on superhuman. Gosh! I mean a couple of times I've lost my best guy, just because he stepped out of the plane!!! Step, BLAM, dead! I may give it a go... sounds tough.

Oh, just some things some of us do to make the game a little more interesting every once in a while. :confused:

- - -

Just an exercise that I'd like to recommend for anyone interested in getting used to playing with ironman rules:

First save just before entering a mission. Preferably a challenging mission such as a terror site or a battleship. Alien bases are good too.

Now play that mission over and over without saving or reloading while in the battlescape. This is the fun bit.

Repeat until you are able to win the mission in one go with minimal casualties. You won't get good results all the time, still, it's worth trying.

The reason why you should save before the mission and not during is so that the map is renewed every time you reload, so you are forced to change your tactics depending on the varying terrain. It's fairer for both sides.

To tell the truth, winning a mission in one sitting is not that easy to perform in a Superhuman campaign, but it is definitely a rewarding experience when do manage to win a few.

- NKF

The reason everyone here has so many men and they die quite often is because most of us are superhuman players and NOONE here reloads a game if they lose men.

It's just not allowed. :hmmm:

Losing a soldier named Tammy, however, is another matter entirely, though. :confused: I still think that is just incredibly sweet. :inlove:

Anyway, I haven't really named my soldiers after people I know for that very reason, but I might try it. I have to say that I will probably reload if one of you dies....sorry, TJ!