perfect team?

Exe22

Steyr Augs and Sniper Rifles is what I mainly use, possibly a gatling gun and flamethrower. Even though I tend to cheat for all weapons i very rarely use alien weapons becuase there just so un human :blink:

Usually 1 sniper

1 hvy weapons specalist

Point Man with Alien mincer (shotgun)

The rest with fast firing weapons of death.

2 heavy guys with collapsible machine guns (worth waiting time to deploy)

1 heavy guy with collapsible rocket launcher (essential for firing spreads)

4 guys with snipers

standard equipment includes medikits, two frag grenades, one flame one acid

this combination can take out anything

• 1 month later...

I use 3 snipers, 3 grenadiers, and 1 medic. Loadouts are:

Snipers:

One rifle, depends on my ammo situation. Remington and up usually. I try to take 2 extra clips

2 Smoke Grenades

2 Acid Grenades

Microslug Accelerator + 2 ammo clips

Grenadiers:

Super Striker (hopefully) + 5 ammo clips

2 Smoke Grenades

2 Acid Grenades

Microslug Accelerator + 2 ammo clips

Medic:

4 warp medic packs

10 Smoke Grenades

Rest Acid Grenades

All use bio armor.

For base defense I just slap on some enhanced heavy armor and gatling guns for everybody, and sit in front of the airlock doors :blink:

All my guys carry microslugs for the 2nd part of most missions, eg. inside alien base, inside military base, inside alien ship. Since you'll be fighing very close quarters anyway. Oh yes, my guys are level 20-17, so they switch fighing styles very easily, having most stats Excellent to Super-Heroic. The medic always carries a smoke grenade in-hand, for those missions where Deathbellows spawn ONE SQUARE from your starting point :(

RB-Mod6-0 that is:

outside:

2 snipers

3 grunts (assault/plasma rifles)

1 blow-it-away (e.g. super-striker)

1 medic (pistol only for simple klick to switch to the medkit :blink: )

although the plasma-rifles do not so well against bio-armour, even the enhanced one ... i am thinking to switch back to G11, G36 and/or XM8

inside:

H&K MP7 for the snipers (or decker-gun, depends on availability)

maybe one or two aditional shotguns for the grunts (DON'T fire a BFG4500 on anything directly in front of you :( )

the super-striker seems to work fine indors, too :)

yes and some smokeys, grenades, C4-packs to be used as needed

things i have to try (in the next Game :( ) :

Autocannon

change SuperStriker to Rocketlauncher

Use Pistols more (close quarters they seem to have nice efficiency)

I seldomly use heavy armours, though ... it feels kinda being a sitting duck ... ;)

• 1 month later...

been playing for a little while now

(have only just done area51, haven't read any spoilers,and am looking forward to finding out the story!)

so anyway,

the loadout i've been taking has been 2 snipers, 1 grenadier, and the rest with rifles(whats the one with the green barrell - not the fnfal,or the colt can't remember.. :blink: )

what i want to know is -

is there any point in using the P90 or those kind of handgun weapons?

why not just take rifles?

they have longer range, and if up close, they do just as much damage if not more.

and also, the weapons stats - have rounds per second, and a damage per shot -

which of these do you go by when looking for a better all round weapon?

the main consideration i assume is damage caused,

then rounds per second - or does rounds per second tell you how many times the damage is caused per second or per shot?

or is it just there to let you know how quickly you run out of ammo.

i've just read the above, and i can't understand what i'm talking about - let alone you guys trying to answer it!

last question (which is part of what i was was asking above):

say you have two rifles, and for an aimed shot, one has .7 rounds per second, and the other has .6, over a few seconds the .7 rounds per second will have fired more shots and i assume caused more damage (damage listed, would be damage per 'shot' then wouldn't it.).

is this the way it works in the game - or am i making it up?

would it also mean that the soldier with the .7 rounds per second starts returning fire more quickly than the .6 rps?

someone put me out of my misery - and at least tell me why you would pick a P90 over a good assault rifle!

thanks guys,

one confused customer,

-Craig

Yes, the higher the number of rounds per second the higher the damage the weapon makes. Handguns like the p90 are much faster in that area than rifles and their reload time is better, too. There's no "best" weapon in UFOAM, simply use the one that suits your fighting style the best. Rifles have range, handguns have speed, shotguns have power, every weapon has it's purpose in the game. I usually load my guys with a rifle weapon for "regular" combat and then give them a shotgun/handgun for the close combat. Well that and some grenades, a medipack and a knife, too. :blink:

okay,

thanks for ansering aralez -

but i still dont get it.

here we go again: ( :( )

(stats are from memory, am at 'work' and dont have weapon stats :blink: )

p90:

has 225 damage for burst, and fires 5.7 rounds per second

HK MP7 thingy:

has 250 damage for burst, and fires 6.2 rounds per second

this can be taken in two ways:

1 ) if you fire a burst shot once with each weapon, the p90 uses 5.7 rounds, and does a possbile 225 damage in one second of play (same for mp7, but with different stats)

2 ) 5.7 rounds are fired from p90, with a possible 225 damage per shot (dont think this is the case)

if its neither of the above, please spell it out like i did above, so i can be clear as to whats happening!

also,

the mp7 is about 2.7kgs, and the p90 is 4.5, with the mp7 doing higher damage with both aimed and burst

(if the game works the way method 1 above does),

why on earth would you take the p90 over the mp7?

lastly, i'm not looking for the 'best' weapon in the game, i just want to know how it works - so i can balance my teams a bit better!

does it tell you how long it takes to reload weapon somewhere in the stats?i must have missed that.

thanks,

Craig

• 2 months later...

I haven't got that far in the game, I think... but so far I've used pretty much this set-up:

1-2 snipers with the best possible sniper rifle

1 fast and tough guy with best possible shotgun, for close encounters and scouting ahead

1-2 (started with 1 then got another) heavy weapon. right now I use grenade launchers. decent range, very good damage and fast reloads.

2-3 guys with assauly rifles. Steyr Aug being my favorite so far. they are almost as good at long range as the snipers, and are very good with burst mode when the enemies come close.

every soldier caries a medikit and the assault guys carry grenades.

the only alien weapon I've tried so far is the plasma gun and it didn't really impress me. hard damage seems to be most effective all-around.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig

There is a big different between rifle speed and handgun speed.

The damage value in squad equipment GUI is per burst not per second.

So a handgun have a 7 round burst for 35 point of damage = 7 x 35 = 245

Each burst may take 1.5 second. So per second is 163 point of damage.

A rifle may take 2 second to complete a 3 round burst of 168 point of damage.

That is 84 point of damage per second.

Take laser pistol for example. It fired a single round during burst mode.

In aim mode it does 60 point of damage for 1 sec and use 1 round.

In burst mode it still does 60 point of damage for 0.3 sec and use 1 round.

In actual, in burst mode, it does 180 because it can fire 3 times per sec.

But In the squad equipment GUI, you will see aim damage = 60 and burst = 60.

So go to the glossary page for better information. In glossary page, it give the damage per second and round per second.

There is where you will realize that handgun actual does much more damage in close combat.

Note the type of damage the weapon caused. Soft, Univ, Hard.

I used to try and play with strategy, having scout type soldiers, snipers, the medic, then I realized that is a stupid way to play in this game. The perfect loadout is seven guys using the best rifle (probably an AUG or Plasma rifle [for sure not the obsolete laser rifles]) you have, then later in the game, as many guys as you can have using gatling guns or double barrel machine guns. You can try to think it out, use tactics and whatnot, but all that really matters is having your soldiers move in a Civil War era firing line until they see a guy, stopping and all firing at their maximum range, then moving forward. If you're in doors you might use the burst settings.

Sadly it's that simple (the exception being when the aliens shoot an incendiary rocket at you, which causes you to scatter your soldiers for a second before sending another hail of bullets).

For spice you can have a deployable carrying soldier, and having someone really fast can be of much use for running in and then out of a room to lure people to that deployed guy, but not neccesary. You could as well have the group of rifles or gatling gunners run in the room (they might get a scratch or two).

Yes, you can do that Lord Chambers ... but where is the fun in that?

have won the game with that tactic ... :blink: .. but sadly, it is very unfulfilling.

So I put in more strategy and use less heavy weaponary.

Sometimes it is just pure fun to have your soldier, kill with only a colt handgun than using the gattling.

I love it when I get a chance to do it that way.

Can you hear the reload sound? :(

Enjoy the game, don't just play to win ... play for fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok heres my perfect team i have finished the game with:

1st: Is a soldier with superhuman speed as a puller and wearing bio armor to take as much as possible, especially very helpful if sorounded by 4 rocketspitters, that guy takes the attention onto him and dodges all incoming (as possible). usually equiped with warp destroyer for indoor fighting + plasma rifle in backbag.

2nd: Is a soldier equiped with 2 psi controlers of course superhuman psi powers

to get control over rocket spitting alians or any other threats to the team

3rd: Same as 2

4th: Equiped with Warp destroyer + plasma rifle

5th: Equiped with foldable rocket launcher

6th: Equiped with foldable machinegun

7th: same as 6

Generally all of them carry usually 3 different weapons so i dont have to reequip or load permanently if i recognize im not suited for the enviroment. but actually with that gear they are suited for everything but a long walk :blink:

This team is unstopable besides the foldable machinegun is the best heavy weapon ingame, i usually play 3 missions in a row before i switch the crew and restock ammo, those thingys never ran out of ammo exept the final mission :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to replay the game, and next time just keep going, instead of taking the Reticilucan Treaty. But, since it was my frist time through, I just gave everyone the same weapons, or tried to.

Early in the game it was the best armor I had, whether it was just the starting armor, and helmets, and then the combat armor, up to the sky and bio armor. Now that I have beat the game, and uninstalled it, I may go back and replay it, this time taking more time, and alot more missions. the weapons, to start out with, were the Colt .45's, and many clips, on aimed shot, then, if I had enough, the HK g7, I think, the rifle with the best range. Not the sniper. Finally, I ended up with the advanced alien laser rifles as weapons. I still had the regular grenades and med kits.

Is there any advice on changing this? Or a different method of research?

• 3 weeks later...

It is almost the beginning of the game for me now and therefore i encounter surface missions mostly ( or i choose). I have the following team with comments:

1 Sniper: this guy takes out individuals from long distance before they can get close enough to make their attack hopefully. B)

2 Neostad soldiers: these are to wait behind walls or peaks to take out lured aliens before they understand what is happening. :blink::(

2 Rocket launcher tanks: these are almost non-moving artilleries to burry groups of 2 or more aliens at good range. they fire and re-load in sequence to rain fireballs on our guests. :devil: :devil:

1 Handgunner: possibly to be replaced by with something else. he has no use at all. ;)

1 Medic: running through out the battle field like chicken :)

Sniper is still good for indoor battles, but the neostads are the best.