Helping the Molarman

Molarman

Hello all. I am going to admit you get me into this game you will be able to teach a dog to figure out the coeffiecent of expansion???? Anyway my point is. is that I do not have a lot of computer experience but I really want to play this game again. I have a P4 2.4 running XP. If you need anymore info I will give it to you. My problem is when I pick a base it boots me out and will not go further than that point. I have no idea how to pick what sounds I should use. I have an audigy 2 gamer audio card and a 4800 series Ge force 4 4600. 512mb.

Let the games begin.

Molarman

If you manage to get your sound working, then it shouldn't be a soundcard error. But if you can't, I'd recommend just testing a few settings until you get one that works. If you know your card is a 'soundblaster compatible', then I'd recommend you start testing with the 'Sound Blaster' and work up from there until you find the one with the best sound output. Otherwise, experiment.

As for crashing with 'no sound' selected... that's definitely an unusual one. The sound drivers aren't even supposed to be initiated, and yet it crashes the NT virtual memory thingamibobber. Probably just a usual general protection fault, which happen all the time even without human intervention.

The base crash itself is an odd bug. I get that every time with the collectors edition on my older Win95 machine - whereas the dos versions run perfectly.

The best advice I've heard with regards to this problem so far on this forum is to load a blank savegame slot. If you don't have one, erase the contents of one of your savegame directories. The game'll start, and everything will be as it should be (or it'll be information from the last game you played) -- except there's no physical base. Don't try to play it as-is. Things can get rather wacky. Building a base will just erase the phantom base and you'll start from scratch. But try it anyway. If you can safely build an access lift and not crash the game, then you might want to make an attempt at aborting the current mission and then starting a new one. If it doesn't crash, then you're on your way.

If all else fails, I suppose some kind soul can set up the new game for you and send you the save files.

There's no guarantee that any of this will work, as people with different systems often have varying results. But give it a shot anyway. Who knows? It might just be a one-time thing.

- NKF