XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:39 PM

<<SETTING - Captured X-COM>>

Negotiations Log

XCR Rommel, 12 November 2067

The elements of X-Com inside the XCR Rommel, the flagship of the Future X-Com forces lost in time, had been assigned to two spare troop bays.  Each bay could hold around ten troopers in its steel confines.  Accomodations consisted of bunks, foot lockers, and small desks.  It was fairly sparse and utilitarian, but it was also not expected to be used...

Current X-Com was pretty much been given the run of the troop living and recreation areas.  However, there were strict orders against having them leave the area unsupervised, and it was generally frowned upon for them to be leaving at all.  Colonel Dogget or one of his direct subordinates had to authorize each such trip, and he did it rarely.

Pretty much every FXC soldier entered the bay at one time or another, so any could be caught at the appropriate times.  Major locations that were within their reach were the mess hall, exercise room, common lounge, and the adjacent squad bays themselves.
Lance Corporal Derrick "DragonHawk" Ko
Combat Engineer, Kappa Team
X-Com Alliance Sim

#22 Ghost

Ghost

Lieutenant, Commanding officer of XCAS Kappa Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:28 AM

<<Note that Kappa team is not aware of the exact nature of Future X-Com yet>>

XCS Peregrine, 12th of November 2067

Dmitri was walking through the corridors of the Peregrine, heading towards the navigation area, to check up on their progress. It had been a few days since they received the distress signal from Ralwell about Alpha team being captured by the unknown X-Com forces. On the way there he decided to stop by the engineering bay, where Derrick was busy investigating the tracks they found on Paronnen III with Kaitlin. As the doors slid open, he found the both of them each working in their own way, Kaitlin had some pictures pinned to the wall, and was looking at them while making notes on a datapad, while Derrick had an array of photo's spread over a table, and scribbled his notes on a piece of paper.

"So, have we found out anything about our unknown enemies?"

Kaitlin turned around towards Dmitri and replied first, before Derrick could.

"Not much yet, as far as I can tell from the looks of these footprints we found, the attackers were at least bipedal, and about the weight of average humans, except this one here." She pointed at a pair of footprints among the others. Not much special was visible about them. "These prints are much deeper than the others, and seem to be far more precisely measured in distance and position from eachother. I know it's just speculation, but if I had to guess it's probably some form of robot, or mobile armor, or something along those lines."

"Hmmm, sounds interesting... robotics wasnt that far developed when we left Earth, though 7 years can change a lot I suppose... although we dont know where these unknown attackers come from still, though they claim to be X-Com, both according to the Ascidians and the transmission we received from Ralwell on the Patton. Anyway, Derrick, found out anything about their ship?"

<<Tag DH, or of course another Kappa member if they have anything to add in, Alpha feel free to post in between as well on your setting in the Rommel :)>>

#23 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:19 PM

<<LCpl. KO (DH)>>

XCS Peregrine, 12 November 2067

On the ground, Ko had thought that the prints were fairly clear...  but in retrospect, the elements had been harsh.  He had checked up on the meteorological reports, and a light rain had fallen in the area after the invaders had left.  This had deformed all of the prints, though some basic qualitative observations could be made.

Stone had gone over the tracks with her trained eye and had offered up a number of observations.  Ko was working on a rough calculation with regards to the ship size when Ghost walked into the room.  He hurriedly crunched the numbers while Stone was making her report, before making his.

"It's hard to say, Dmitri.  I've run a few numbers through the mill, and it would seem to me that the enemy landing craft was about the same order of magnitude of size that the Avenger is...  maybe about the same weight as the Aplomado or a bit lighter.  Given the sensor profile, I'm expecting a fairly streamlined ship, probabyl an attack craft built on the same profile and methodology as the Avenger."  Ko scratched his head and shrugged.

"Beyond that, the analysis gets more sketchy.  There wasn't too much burning around the target area, which makes me think their transport is not actually going to lift off like ours - no heavy thrust.  Anti-grav maybe?  The lack of vertical thrust AND the pads might indicated such.  Given the expected size, we're probably not looking at too many troopers, maybe 20 and no motorized vehicles, or some combination that would require that same volume..."  Ko shrugged again.  "We've got a decent idea of carrying capability, but it's not firm by any means."

"We should sit down and talk about the transmissions sometime, with everyone.  Just figure out some contingency plans...  these boys sound tough.  Can we schedule that?"

<Tag Ghost and Fox>
X-Com Alliance Sim

#24 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:49 AM

<<Cpl. Atzel EVANDER and Pvt. Jarl RYAN>>

XCR Rommel, 12 November 2067

Evander didn't even want to think about the predicament they were in.  She hadn't bothered promising anything to Colonel Dogget's officers; she took her orders from Colonel Cyriacus and Lieutenant Scott.  She didn't have the authority to make those promises on her own, but many of the troopers had.

Ryan rose out of the bunk and promptly whacked his head against the ceiling.  "Argh"  He wasn't having a good day.  He had missed the whole bloody meeting yesterday, but since Yorke and Howardson had seemed to think it was ok, he had gone along with it.  After all, he worked directly under Yorke, so he tied himself to Yorke's decision on the matter.  He hoped he had made the right choice.

Evander looked up at the sound above her.  "Hey, Jarl, you ok?"  She leaned out and looked towards the upper bunk, but she couldn't see him.

Ryan grimaced as his head started to throb.  "Yeah, I think I'm cool Atz, thanks.  Wasn't very careful though..."  He started rubbing his head.  "Hey, could I ask you a question?"

"Sure, what is it?"  Evander lay back down.  She hoped the question wouldn't be too hard.  Anything was better than associating with the weirdoes from FXC though.

"What do you think...  I mean, what's going on all around us?  Are we going to go back to the Patton?  I think...  I mean, these people seem trustworthy, and they have a point.  If the Ascidians are going to turn, why not just destroy them now?"

Evander shook her head.  She didn't think Ryan was that heartless of a b******, but maybe he just wasn't speaking properly.  "Can we just kill them though?  We can't destroy them any more than FXC can... what would be the point.  Better to die trying to keep them on our side, rather than trying to exterminate them.  I don't even see it as possible."

"They did quite a job on the bases we saw though.  I think it could happen."  Ryan leaned back again.  They had superior technology, the skill to use it... it sounded like a for sure winner, in his opinion.  

"Numbers are on the Ascidians side... eventually FXC will run out of resources to wage their war, and they'll collapse.  A world's population is huge, they won't be able to kill everyone, unless...  Well, unless they have a huge weapon that we've not seen yet, which is possible.  They certainly seem confident."  Evander had not considered that possibility before, but she supposed it was possible, though that didn't seem to be their plan from what she had heard.

"Yeah but..."  Ryan still thought of techonology as the end all of power.  He certainly couldn't convince her, and didn't plan on wasting his breath.  

Evander let the conversation peter out.  She lost herself in thought... Could FXC have another new weapon?
X-Com Alliance Sim

#25 Saber Warrior

Saber Warrior

XCAS Nocturnal Cat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

<<SGT. ONG (Saber)>>

XCS Peregrine, 12 November 2067

In the aft section of the ship, Kevin stood in front of stacks upon stacks of equipment crates that the Ascidian Special Forces had most generously supplied. The crew chief of the Peregrine who was also inspecting the crates, grinned as he ticked off each item on his exceptionally long equipment roster. “You know.” Kevin said to no one in particular since the chief was not really listening. “I once had a ruthless drill sergeant who always said that ‘when in doubt, bring lots of ammo’ but it seems that you gits took it a step further.”

Kappa Team had relied on stealth and precision to accomplish their missions so this was the first time that they had brought so much firepower. Kevin picked up a shotgun to check its condition. Most of these weapons never left the armoury except for the occasional field training so they looked almost brand-new. He realized that their new opponents were different from their previous ones but he’s still unconvinced about the need for such drastic measures. Rallwell’s message wasn’t really clear about the nature of their enemy so he decided that when the ship landed, the first thing he’s going to do was grab her, push her into the briefing room and………get more information from her. << :devil: >>

Usually the pilot would balk at the additional weight but strangely he just shrugged and reminded the team to make good use of the weaponry. “Well at least I’m not the one carrying all these crates out of the ship when we land…….” The equipment bay was strangely silent as Kevin realized that all the ship’s crew had disappeared. “Bastards!” Meanwhile, the crew chief locked the door to the cockpit and uncorked a bottle of Ascidian brandy. “To the Terrans!” He raised his bottle of liquor. “Terrans!!” The rest of the crew boomed as laughter filled the cockpit.

#26 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:32 PM

XCR ROMMEL

The doors to Colonel Dogget's ready room slid open. Joseph walked in alone into the office decorated with jet and starship models in cases. Chad Dogget was sitting down at a desk looking into a small box.

Scott: You called for me?

Dogget: (Shutting the box and procuring a small odd looking pistol from it) Yes...

There was a moment of silence and Joseph got a little nervous. He was currently unarmed and the Colonel holding a gun like that made him uneasy.

Dogget: You don't know what kind of pistol this is, I'll bet...

Scott: No. I don't.

Dogget: Of course not... It was invented years after the Patton disappeared..... It's a lawpistol developed by the Mega Police of Earth. The most powerful one handed ballistic weapon ever made. And it was useless...

Scott: Excuse me?

Dogget: Nothing. Forget it. (Puts the pistol back in the case and shuts it) I called you here because I need you and your squad. Val came to me earlier informing me of a Starspawn capital ship nearby. It sees us, most definitely. But it doesn't seem to know that we see it right now.

Scott: So? With the firepower you've got, you could probably rip it to shreds.

Dogget: I know. But I don't want to. In our time, the opportunity to capture the star maps of a capital ship was near impossible. But now I think it can be done, with the 'Spawn so far back in terms of technology...

Scott: So uh... Why do you need us?

Dogget: I'm reminded of the term, "Do not throw stones in a glass house." My men have no experience in capturing ships intact. And from what you've told me, you've done that quite a bit just to survive out here.

Scott: You want us to capture the capital ship for you? My man, I'm afraid that we don't have the strength to do this for you...

Dogget: I'm not asking you to do this without help. I'm going to give you our transport gunship and will order Roberts and Woolery to keep the ship busy. We have schematics... You can enter by cutting through the bridge's hull. Dropping in just outside the door.

Scott: This seems too easy. What's the catch?

Dogget: Nothing... Except you're not going with them...

<<TO BE CONTINUED! AHAHAHA!>>
Strong Bob's random Star Trek quote of the year:

*Scans rock* "It's dead, Jim." - McCoy

"Very funny, Bones." - Kirk

#27 Ego Terrorist

Ego Terrorist

Leader of the "We love Tammy" Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:04 PM

Yorke lay on his back, things hadn't gone very well as of late, the meal every soldier under his command had willingly accepted the deal proposed by Dogget, Sergeant Howardson seemed almost too keen to volunteer his services to the XCR. And once the Sergeant had volunteered...most of the other soldiers present fell in line, until it was his turn to make his choice. In the end it would come down to the lesser of two evils, his gut was giving him a bad feeling about this whole thing.

Though if he said no, he'd probably of ended up confined to his quarters, or the brig, that or completely unable to influence the events that could affect his colleagues. He'd made it quite clear that he was reluctant, but then again when the enemy CO also happens to be the only other human you've seen in a long time since the Kabron Pirates makes you an offer, effectivly at gun point, you feel inclined to accept.

Though he doubted most of the others felt that way about the XCR and he didn't blame them, several years only raiding and on the defensive, with little hope, and no real chance of getting home, he'd want to accept this chance of a new hope, but something in the back of his mind was warning him about something... Well, he'd worry about that later, right now though he had some paper work to deal with in his new office.
Dammit I just misspelled on my christmas present list...now I've asked satan for an inflatable Buffy.

Leader of the "We love Tammy club!"

#28 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:47 PM

<<NOTE: This takes places a few hours after today's (February 22nd) sim. Joint roleplay with Pickers.>>

Jonathan and the rest of the team had had a very interesting mission today, his first against these Starspawn aliens. After leaving his combat equipment in the quarters assigned to him the the XCR officers and fooling around the Rommel, Jon set off to Lieutenant Yorke's new office. After wandering a while looking for the room, the young corporal spotted a door with the newly placed tag "Lieutenant Yorke" on it. He opened the door and found the Doc sitting on his chair, resting a bit apparently, since there wasn't much paperwork on his desk.

Yorke looked up from his desk and smiled at the corporal.

"Goorit, and what do I owe to the pleasure of your company?" -Ned said upon realizing Jonathan was in front of him.

"Excuse me, sir, I have a doubt that's been troubling me for some time since all the revelations that took place the other day at the welcome banquet." -The corporal asked his commanding officer.

The lieutenant raised an eyebrow and leaned back in his chair.

"Hmm? And what is that doubt of yours?" -The Doc inquired the uneasy corporal.

"I don't want to sound inappropriate, but... is Dogget or any of you officers planning on contacting the Ascidian government about the origin of XCR, and to apologize for the recent misleaded attacks?" -Jon asked rather nervously.

Shadow wasn't the only one with doubts, Yorke had been troubled since the meal, he didn't like the set up, nor did he like the situation, though when he heard Shadow's question he smiled half heartedly and sat up again and placed his elbows on the desk.

"Good question - and no, you're not sounding inappropriate. I'm going to have to see if I can have a chat with Dogget and see about sending a transmission to Colonel Cyriacus." -Yorke replied. "I very much doubt Dogget would agree to a transmission apologising to the Ascidians, it was hard enough to get him to agree to cease attacks. But if I can get in contact with Cyriacus he can mediate between XCR and the Ascidian High Command." -Ned continued.

"Good, I think that'd be most appropriate in this situation, I bet the Ascidian government is really upset about this seemingly unjustified assaults at their outposts. I found Dogget's reasons understandable since he thought he was fighting the same gits that allegedly invaded Earth several years into the future, but continuing the attacks would certainly be senseless. Luckily Dogget has agreed to stop these, so we can rest easy for some time." -Jonathan stated.

"Aye yes. It's understandable, I suppose, though, his crew and Dogget himself are showing some rather dangerous xenophobic attitudes, which is fair enough, but right now it's not helping relations between the Ascidians and us. But yes, once
communication is reestablished between us and the Patton we should be able to go back to the Patton though what happens after that depends on Dogget and Cyriacus."
-The lieutenant agreed.

"Okay, thank you, Doc. That'd be all, is there anything you want to tell me?" -Goorit asked since he was about to leave the office.

"Not really...I'll want an incident report filled out by you and Necro with regard to Stalk's actions, but currently she's being confined to quarters until I've had a chance to review what ever the hell had happened. Bloody hot headed rookies." -Yorke shook his head when mentioning the last sentence.

"Hehe, I know the feeling, sir, I've just experienced that myself. I was once very similar to her, but I hope I've gained more discipline by now." -Jonathan nervously added.

Smiling Yorke nodded. Shadow had a lot of potential, and he could go far, but right now Stalk's actions were out of line and risked the team, she'd be in trouble for that, alot of trouble for that.

"Aye that you have. But yes, no rush, get some R&R and get the report on my desk before lunch tomorrow." -The Doc suggested.

"Alright, Doc. Thank you, I'm gonna get some rest now, I surely got my fair share of action today. See you at dinner, sir." -Jonathan said as he walked towards the door.

"Aye, see you at dinner tonight, Goorit." -Yorke said and watched as the corporal left his office and then got down to doing some more paper work that had to be sorted out before the day was out.
Proud veteran of the X-COM Alliance Sim
[ JG-7X3 ]

#29 Andrew_175

Andrew_175

Technomaige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:29 PM

Necro was sat at his 'desk' in the canteen (in other words balancing his notes on his knees), when Yorke came in through the door and approached him.

"Necro" said Yorke, "when you've got a minute can you fill in a report on what happened with Stalk the other day?"

"erm, yeah sure Sir" replied Necro frantically grabbing at the paper that was sliding to the floor. "I'll have it done for you by dinner, oh and can you take a look at my leg, I think I've pulled something in it and its painful to walk on"

"Yeah no worries Andy, stop by the med bay later and I'll have a look" said Yorke

"ta, much appreciated" was the HWE's reply.

Yorke turned to leave as he was about to exit through the door Necro shouted. "Yorke, what do you think about these 'future X-Com types? I mean at first I liked the idea, but now... I mean they suddenly show up, good food, nice wine, claim to be from the future.. It all seems a little to straigh from TV, and that robot creeps the hell out of me. I'm not sure whether we can trust them anymore Yorke"

Yorke muttered something under his breath as he left the room, leaving Necro to pick up his papers
:: if ya really tic me off I'll remove your heart with a melon baller ::

#30 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:29 AM

<<LCpl. Ko>>

Battle Plans

XCS Peregrine, 13 November 2067, enroute to UGS Patton and NAO

Ko found himself in the Cage again, looking over the weapons that would be necessary to use against the rogue X-Com agents.  It was going to be a complicated mission, requiring a high degree of firepower from the Spec Ops team.  He hadn't even thought about the specific unit he wanted surrounding the combat zone, but that probably would depend on the actual locale chosen.

Was there anything else required?  Ong had already loaded a large number of weapons onto the Aplomado, including the shotguns, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, and Alien plasma rifles.  Ko checked the shelves to see whether another weapon would be worth having...  The Ascidian plasma rifles were going to be used by other Special Operations teams, he figured, at least on a trial basis.  Ko didn't think the rifles were great, but they were a source of plasma regardless.

Ko had no intention of using the Carbine... too light.  He was definetly going to deploying with his Combination Rifle.  Depending on the strategy they used, he could either go with the shotgun or the plasma while on the ground...  He wasn't terribly fond of either, but they had their advantages.  Unfortunately, the shotgun lacked real armour penetration while the plasma rifle lacked mass, both of which were somewhat critical to the operation.  

The shotguns flechette rounds were something though... almost a crime to use in itself.  It's low solid armour penetration was misleading - the flechettes had not penetrated the basic suit's plates, though they had stuck in, but had shredded the softer parts of the suit, required for movement.  Every joint in the impacted area had been ripped apart by the little darts, and while it probably wouldn't kill another man outright, they would likely bleed to death or spend the rest of their lives maimed.

Ko sighed.  He didn't think he had the time to worry about such issues.  Removing the enemy had to be top priority.  As distasteful as he found it, he also knew that his duty was to uphold his and X-Com's honour.  Loss and destruction would be far more shameful.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#31 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:20 AM

**XCR Rommel, Colonel Chad Dogget's Ready Room - After the attack on the Powerhouse**

Joseph walked into Chad's office in a hostile manner, his pulse was high and he was real close to screaming in anger. Chad was calmly sitting down, looking blankly down at his desk while smoking a cigarette. Joseph made it up to Chad's desk and couldn't take it anymore.

Scott: (Slamming his fist down on the desk) You f**king KNEW about them! Didn't you!? The Powerhouse had Sectoid Hybrids on board!

Dogget: (Calmly looking up at Scott) Yes... Yes I knew. But wasn't completely certain about it to be honest.

Scott: Why the hell didn't you tell us?

Dogget: Lieutenant... In our time, everything is on a very strict 'need-to-know' basis. Besides, if I told you it might have caused unnecessary unrest.

Scott: Bullshit! We agreed to join you, but keeping secrets like this was not part of the deal.

Dogget: Alright Lieutenant...

Chad put his shortened cigarette out in a small pewter ash tray on his desk and sighed, looking away from Joseph.

Dogget: We've been out here a lot longer than you think, Lieutenant. In fact, we've been out here for a good 1 and a half months.

Scott: What!?

Dogget: Lieutenant... I'm afraid I neglected to mention a little something in our first meeting. I just didn't want to complicate things until we got to know each other a bit...

Scott: Things are way beyond complicated right now... I want to know why you kept me here when my men boarded the Powerhouse! And why you felt this information was important enough to...

Dogget: Lieutenant, what would you have done if I told you to board a ship filled with a new experemental strain of Starspawn species? Eh? Especially one that replaced the Ethereals with superior mental and physical abilities...

Scott: I would've done it... I've gone up against far worse than bug eyed humans.

Dogget: Well, I couldn't afford to take the chance you would refuse. I wasn't lying when I said my men can't do that kind of raid. They were never trained for that, nor do we have any technology on hand that's capable of what your "DDU's" are.

Scott: Why the f**k did you keep me here!?

Dogget: If your men failed and died, we needed someone to represent us and help us make peaceful contact with the rest of your troops and the Apemen.

Scott: You used us...

Dogget: And much to both our advantage. When you downloaded those starmaps on the Powerhouse, you got the location of every Starspawn vessel and structure containing Human Sectoid specimens. All we have to do is root them all out, and we change the future for the better.

Chad gave Joseph a light smile of victory, expecting the old Lieutenant to be impressed. But Joseph was displaying more frustration than anything else.

Scott: I will not be manipulated by you. That's the last time I let Alpha squad out without me on one of your missions. I agreed to waiting for the disruptor tech, you've crossed your line of trust.

Dogget: Suit yourself... But know that we do this entirely for humanity, I am serving both our interests here Lieutenant.

Scott: Is that so? Then turn this ship back in the direction of Arkunis IV, like we agreed when I you made me stay here...

Dogget: Already done, Lieutenant. We should be there very shortly. I have what I need here... And I'm sure over time you'll come to the realization that we can be very good partners here.

Chad smiled and pulled out another cigarette from his pocket as well as a small brass lighter. Joseph turned around and left the room without a word. He was too angry at how his squad was used to think clearly at the moment...

**One hour later, Scott and Fléche's assigned quarters**

Terra was asleep on the bottom bunk of her and Joseph's beds. It was late, and the lights were out. Joseph was sitting at a small computer terminal across from the bed, the monitor was lit up the room in dull blue illumination.

Scott: I understand what he did... That's why I didn't punch his face in right there. I'm glad the new medic, Rebecca Stalk, went exploring against orders like she did. If she hadn't found that corpse we likely would not have found out about Dogget's treachery. Heh... She kinda reminds me of how I used to be...

Joseph activated the long range transmission function on the terminal, he inputted the frequency of the UGS Patton. No one had contacted them in some time... He felt he should inform them of the XCR's arrival...

Scott: (Talking into the comm terminal) Patton, this is Lieutenant Joseph Scott. Serial number JS-4T2. I'm calling from the XCR Rommel. We had been captured, but are now fine. We are in no danger and are in perfect health. The fraud X-COM soldiers we've been chasing all this time are our friends. We will be approaching NAO within the next two days. I will explain the situation further when we get there. It is recommended that Kappa squad be informed at once... Their assistance will be required upon our arrival. This is Lieutenant Joseph Scott, serial number JS-4T2, to Patton. Signing out.

He ended the transmission and sent it. He was very tired now, he turned around to the bunk beds feeling the fatigue creep up on him as he looked. Terra was sleeping nice and sound. Something about the way she was sleeping gave Joseph worry.

Scott: She sleeps so well and comfortable... Am I just being paranoid? Heh... So far, since we've made peaceful contact, nothing but good has come from them. I don't want to make the same mistake as Kacur, and go about everything so ignorantly, but maybe I should let go a bit. If someone like her can sleep so comfortably aboard a ship where the uneasiness is almost felt physically... Then maybe I'm being too uptight.

Joseph climbed into his bed and layed on his back, still wearing his X-COM fatigues.

Scott: Dogget is keeping secrets... But is that enough to call him untrustworthy? He fights for humanity of course... And even if it meant being his pawn, it would serve our purpose. Or would it?

Joseph pondered for a while and soon fell asleep. The next few days were going to be long ones indeed...

#32 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:54 AM

<<Pvt. Rallwell and Pvt. Sinclaire>>

UGS Patton, 13 November 2067

Rallwell was busy tapping away on her keyboard beside Sinclaire when the communications program pinged.  She had set the communications relay to automatically record incoming transmissions into a temporary directory.  Her program was supposed to let her know when the directory had a new addition...  it apparently worked.

Patton, this is Lieutenant Joseph Scott. Serial number JS-4T2. I'm calling from the XCR Rommel. We had been captured, but are now fine. We are in no danger and are in perfect health. The fraud X-COM soldiers we've been chasing all this time are our friends. We will be approaching NAO within the next two days. I will explain the situation further when we get there. It is recommended that Kappa squad be informed at once... Their assistance will be required upon our arrival. This is Lieutenant Joseph Scott, serial number JS-4T2, to Patton. Signing out.

Rallwell looked briefly at Sinclaire, then re-ran the audio recording.  "Well, that's unexpected," Rallwell said.  

"Agreed.  Can we run a voice verification on that?"  Sinclaire wasn't actually asking; he had started the audio comparison software.  The program ran silently as the two X-Com soldiers watched, and reported a match.

"Well, that's interesting.  Friends?"  Rallwell shrugged and looked at Sinclaire.  "This is unexpected.  Within the last day, they've decided they are friends..."

"Something to be wary of."  Sinclaire forwarded the message down to Cyriacus.  He tapped an additional note to append to the transmission.  "Colonel Cyriacus will handle it."

"Yeah.  What do you think?  Will Kappa respond?"  Rallwell looked involuntarily at the screen, towards the previous transmission list, which included her last transmission to Ascidian central command and Kappa Team.  

"Maybe.  Who knows?"  Sinclaire looked at the data on his computer.  "But last I checked, they weren't under our structure anymore.  They might be on their way here now though, as part of their investigation..."
X-Com Alliance Sim

#33 Ghost

Ghost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

UGS Patton II, 13 November 2067

Colonel Brad Cyriacus was just working in his office on some reports from Ascidia about a research project he had been working on with the Ascidians. It seems the project was finished and currently being shipped to Arkunis IV. Then Scott's message came in. Surprised to hear from the Lieutenant, Cyriacus opened the message and read it. His eyes widened, and he frowned. He read the message again, as well as the comment added by Sinclaire, regarding the verification of Scott's identity and that in all likelyhood he also broadcasted this message without being forced to.

"Why would these unknown X-Com forces allow such a message to be sent from their craft... perhaps they are friends, but I doubt that in a day they'd already trust the team so much to let them broadcast unmonitored... I wonder what these unknowns have in store, and what their story is. Not to mention why they attacked the Ascidians... friends don't generally blow the bases of other friends apart... I wonder what they want from us..."

With these thoughts Cyriacus shut down his computer terminal and got up from his chair, and went out of his office towards the command center.

"I wonder if these new X-Com forces are a blessing or a curse..." he thought to himself out loud.

XCS Peregrine, 13 November 2067, an hour or so after Rallwell's transmission.

Having just finished a meeting with Vash'uda'rus, Dmitri was walking through the corridors of the Peregrine, heading towards his quarters to get some sleep. After all, he'd better get all sleep he could before they reached NAO and would start on their operation. When he reached the door to his quarters, and was about to enter the door code, an Ascidian approached him.

"Excuse me, Lieutenant, we have just received a communication from the UGS Patton II which was addressed to you and the members of Kappa team."

The Ascidian handed Dmitri a note with a transcript of the message Scott sent out. Dmitri looked at it a moment and then looked at the Ascidian with a somewhat surprised look on his face.

"Did they confirm this message was indeed sent by Scott, and not some kind of forgery?"

"According to Private Rallwell, who sent this message, they have used all software at their disposal and as far as they can tell it is really Lieutenant Joseph Scott that sent this transmission, and his voice doesn't suggest he is stressed in the sense that he is forced to send this."

Dmitri nodded and remained silent a moment overthinking things, before replying to the Ascidian.

"How long before we reach Arkunis IV?"

The Ascidian seemed to have something proud about him, as if he was pleased to be able to answer the unexpected.

"Actually, we are entering orbit within an hour, we are approaching from the other side of the planet from Nova Alpha Omega base, so quite possibly they haven't noticed our approach yet. The UGS Patton II also seems to be orbiting the planet already, though probably most people have already disembarked to the base."

Dmitri nodded and indeed seemed faintly impressed by the quick trip, though obviously he wasn't an expert in spacecraft, and as such had no idea what this craft was capable of anyway.

"Okay, in that case I'm heading towards the communications center. Thank you for relaying the message..." He looks at the Ascidian's name tag a moment, and translates it for himself "...ensign."

A few minutes later, in the Comms center.

Dmitri sat down at one of the communications consoles, after the Ascidian set it up to send a message down to NAO.

"Nova Alpha Omega base, this is the XCS Peregrine. Good morning Anne. Kappa team responding to the damsel in distress. We are currently entering orbit, and probably will arrive at the NAO base in a few hours at most. We received the transmission you forwarded from Scott as well, thanks for passing it on. I hope that besides this whole thing with the unknown X-Com forces, everything is going well down there?"

<<tag DH if you want to respond here :)>>

#34 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:48 AM

<<Pvt. Rallwell>>

Rallwell jumped at the incoming transmission with the Peregrine's identifier on it.  She scanned the message with a smile on her face and forwarded it to the Colonel below at NAO.  

The Peregrine must have been closer than she had thought.  While she had kept relatively close tabs on what was going on, updates nowadays had been few and far between.  She had known when their extended operation on Yurilis had started, when it had ended and the results, and their assignment to this case, but it was almost nothing compared to the semi-weekly updates she had been receiving before.

She started to key in a transmission back to the Peregrine.  "Peregrine, this is the Patton.  Nice to know you're close; we'll have the beds made and the food cooked by the time you arrive.  We're looking forward to seeing you again.  Patton out."  She hit the send button.

It would be a pleasure to see the team again.  She didn't have much contact with Chavez before he left, so he was more of a neutral party.  She was looking forward to seeing Kaitlin though; she was her best friend in the team, definetly, and it had been a fairly rough parting.  

Dmitri had always been her confidant, as well.  She didn't have much to hide now, but she would have to grab him to have a good talk...  Maybe she could pry some confidential info out of him.  Kevin and Derrick were also good for a laugh; their style of humour never failed her.  

Rallwell hoped ferverently that none of them had changed too much.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#35 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:31 PM

... Do it Albino! Before he does it! ...

... But sir, he's got 'Liz by the neck...

... Albino, she's taken the same oath as you! Shoot him! NOW! ...

*BLAM!*

Scott: Ahhhh!

Joseph woke up in his bunk in a cold sweat, letting out a brief scream that almost woke up Fléche sleeping on the bottom bunk.

Scott: 'Liz...

Out the window, Joseph suddenly noticed that the Rommel had dropped out of warp. Which could only mean that they had finally arrived in the Arkunis system.

**XCR Rommel, Bridge. Twenty-five minutes later.**

Dogget: VAL, what are those ships there?

VAL-919: One appears to be a Patton Class War Cruiser. Heavily modified... I can not identify any of the modifications. It must be technology acquired from their alliance with the Apemen. The other appears to be a Wreaker class ship, used by the Apemen in the battle of Mega Primus... Only it's much smaller and does not seem as heavily armed.

Dogget: Very good. Decloak and set a course for them, keep our weapons and shields offline and approach at a standard 'friendly' cruising speed. No need to make them uneasy.

VAL-919: Aye sir.

The doors leading into the Rommel's bridge open. Joseph Scott walks in, groomed and dressed. He looks suspiciously at Colonel Dogget and the rest of the crew on the bridge, and then sees the UGS Patton and XCS Peregrine magnified on the viewscreen.

Scott: We're here... Arkunis IV.

Dogget: (Suddenly noticing and turning to Scott) Yes. We made it in system just under an hour ago. I would've informed you, but I didn't want to interupt your sleep.

A smile grew on Chad's face, but it only made Joseph angry for some reason.

Scott: Whatever... You realize that no matter what you do, unless they get a signal directly from me or Doctor Yorke, they're going to open fire.

Dogget: In that case... VAL! All stop.

VAL-919: Aye sir.

Scott: What are you doing?

Dogget: Lieutenant, here's an idea. You should take yourself and your men back to your ship, the Patton. The Orca can be prepped within the hour.

Scott: And then what?

Dogget: Talk with your Commander. I want to meet with him. Perhaps we can sort out this whole issue in our accidental attacks on your "Ascadian" friends...

#36 Strong Bob

Strong Bob

Sailor Jupiter is hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:38 PM

<<The following is a joint roleplay between Strong Bob (Joseph Scott) and Ghost (Brad Cyriacus).>>

COL_Cyriacus-> ::watches as Scott enters the office and stands up:: Ahh, I see they finished checking you up. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope you understand we have to make sure that you are really you, and that they didn't send you in as a form of weapon, bomb or spy or something. Now, I believe we have a lot to discuss. ::glancing over towards the terminal screen which happens to be turned so that Scott can see a depiction of the Rommel on it:: Sit down Lieutenant, let's hear what you have to say about these... X-Com soldiers...

LT_Scott-> Joseph looked inquisitively at Brad and then sat down on a chair in front of the Colonel's desk. He gave Brad a very serious expression. "These 'X-COM Soldiers' do not belong here. The reason they have such advanced technology and even their own capital ship is because... They're from the future."

COL_Cyriacus-> The future... in some weird way that makes sense, considering we technically come from 7 years in the past. However, how certain are you that they speak the truth? Have they offered any evidence to support their claims, except their advanced technology?

LT_Scott-> He let out a semi-frustrated sigh. "Nothing except a data disc they gave me... It's a brief history of everything that has happened since the Patton was transported away. But... I don't think anyone will like our future. The disc was taken by Rallwell when we were searched, she's likely analyzing it now." Joseph exhaled again. "Sir, they call themselves the 'X-COM Resistance' and attacked the Ascadians because in their time... The Ascadians were incorporated into the Starspawn genepool."

COL_Cyriacus-> Hmmm, so you are saying that the Ascidians were likely defeated somehow in the future. And I would assume that somehow we are defeated in the process as well, as I think you would have mentioned it if they told you the Patton would make it home. ::Cyriacus stopped a moment to think, a frown on his face:: So... the Ascidians are hostile in their time... is that why they are attacking them? Have you tried telling them the Ascidians are our allies?

LT_Scott-> "Oh yes sir. I have. And they've agreed to make a formal apology to the Ascadian government. I've been thinking about this, and I recommend that we hold a meeting in the Diplomacy Room. Mediated by Alpha squad, while Kappa squad represents the Ascadian government. The acting Commander aboard the Future X-COM ship has agreed to such a meeting, and will come unarmed with his first officer as escort." Joseph sighed and scratched his nose.

COL_Cyriacus-> Hmmm... interesting proposition and yes I really would like to have the opportunity to discuss things with them, however, I do not think the Ascidians will really accept the people of Kappa team to act as their representatives. They have been working together closely, but that doesnt make them Ascidian yet... ::Cyriacus tapped some things on his terminal:: The Peregrine is in orbit around Arkunis as you no doubt noticed on your approach, and Kappa team is currently in NAO, taking care of some things. I believe one of theirs got wounded, Chavez, and is being looked after at the moment. I assume the rest of the team is still aboard the Rommel? Are you being treated well there?

LT_Scott-> "No. I made sure everyone was brought back aboard the ship they lent us. I was hoping Kappa team could help moderate this situation, I'm not sure how Colonel Dogget will act when negotiating with something he's always known to be an enemy. Just imagine standing in front of a Muton and apoligizing for killing them sir. I think a human representative is a better solution."

COL_Cyriacus-> Hmmm... well I'm sure Dmitri would agree in helping the negotiations, though eventually they will have to talk directly to the Ascidians to ensure the peace, considering Dmitri can only really listen to what it is they want and will need to talk to the Ascidians to hear what their response to that will be... Colonel Dogget, he is their commanding officer I assume. What kind of a man is he? If we are to negotiate with this man we'll need to know him, and his motivations too...

LT_Scott-> Joseph sighed again. "Colonel Dogget... His strategy is very secretive. I'm not going to lie to you. I have a full report written on a mission he asked us to go on before coming here. He is on a mission, a mission to stop the Starspawn out here from making special gene strains that conquer Earth in the future. And he will stop at nothing to ensure that they do not come to fruition."

COL_Cyriacus-> Hmmmm ::rubbing his chin a moment in thought:: So it sounds like it's personal somehow... like he lost family or loved ones to these Starspawn... did he tell you anything about how they got here? And if there is any way for him to return? Another thing being: Did they tell you what year they came from? How far in the future?

LT_Scott-> "2095... Somewhere around there I believe. He hasn't mentioned anything about family. But he has informed us that his coming to this time was a horrible mistake. But... For some reason he sees this as more of an opportunity than a disaster. I'm not sure I would be thinking so clearly if I were hurled so far back in time... Even if the chance to damage the Starspawn significantly was in my grasp." Joseph started to look concerned.

COL_Cyriacus-> ::nods, listening to Scott telling about these strange people:: Hmmm, that does sort of sound like a man driven by revenge somehow. Like someone that will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. It makes me wonder about his sincerity though. He seems clever enough to realize not to just do a suicide attack, but I wonder what his motives are for accepting to listen to the Ascidians...

LT_Scott-> "Doctor Yorke and Sergeant Howardson spent some time convincing him to do so. He has agreed with us that it would be better if we were allies with the Ascadians and drove the Starspawn out of their territory, rather than annhilate the Ascadians completely, that they won't add them to their pool."

COL_Cyriacus-> ::Cyriacus nodded and remained silent a moment, then looked at Scott again, a serious look on his face:: Lieutenant, tell me honestly: If these negotiations fail, how do you estimate our chances against them? And how many of our men would be tempted to join them, considering the time you spent with them?

LT_Scott-> "I'm not going to lie to you sir. We'll be in deep shit if these guys deem us an enemy. They have weakness, there are witnesses that have seen their armor broken and penetrated. But only under constant barrages of plasma fire. Our only chance is to do our best to make friends with them... As for the men, they seem very undecided. I sense Yorke is also skeptical... But Corporal's Necro and Goorit are more than happy to team up with the future X-COM. I dunno if some of us are just being too paranoid... When it all comes down to it, if they become our friends, this would be the best thing that ever could have happened to us."

COL_Cyriacus-> Perhaps yes, but I am trying to assess the risk of what could happen should we fail to enlist them as friends.

LT_Scott-> "I don't think I need to tell you the damage they could do if we don't. Their ships have a highly advanced cloaking technology... Which means, there is no way we could ever see them coming. They could likely destroy the Patton and Peregrine in a matter of minutes." Joseph wiped his nose. "I'm not sure we want to risk that at all..."

COL_Cyriacus-> No, we arent aiming for that goal obvious, however what do you suggest then? We oblige to everything they want because we can't risk turning them against us?

LT_Scott-> "No. I say we try mainly to keep them from being the enemy, making them friends being our secondary objective. At least find a way to keep them the hell away from the Ascadians and keep their guns on the Starspawn. That should be our only real goal here... Besides, they really haven't asked for much just yet."

COL_Cyriacus-> Yes, of course, however I doubt they will just oblige so easily in starting peace with the Ascidians, there will be terms no doubt on either side... it will take some arranging on both sides to get this underway though so I'd best get to that.

LT_Scott-> "Yes sir." Joseph stood up. "Shall I request that Kappa team sends someone to represent the Ascadians?"

COL_Cyriacus-> Okay, that sounds like a plan to me. You contact them and I'll contact the gits.

LT_Scott-> "Yes sir. I shall send for them and inform Colonel Dogget at once." Joseph gave Brad a solute and marched out of the office.

COL_Cyriacus-> ::As Scott exits the office, Cyriacus sinks back in his chair and wonders again if these XCR troopers are a blessing or a curse...::

#37 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:04 AM

<<LCpl. Derrick Ko and Pvt. Anne Rallwell>>

It was late when Ko made his unofficial call to engineering.  Of course, all the formal greetings had been made eariler, and Lieutenant Ghost and Corporal Stone had gone down to the surface to meet with Colonel Cyriacus.  That left Ong, Ko, and Chavez on the ship, with Chavez being watched over my machinery and Rallwell's help, for what she could do.

For her part, Rallwell was in engineering working on more material analysis with the materials sent back by Alpha.  They were certainly interesting, but she had no idea what actually gave them their extraordinary powers.  FXC wasn't unbreakable... but they were damn close.

Ko knocked lightly on the bulkhead as he poked his head into engineering.  "Permission to come aboard, Private Rallwell?"  Despite having worked together for so long, he didn't exactly feel like he was on a first name basis with anyone outside of Kappa Team.

Rallwell smiled broadly at her former superior.  "Sure, come on in, Derrick.  And I swear, you call me Private Rallwell again, I'll hurt you."  She shook her fist with mock threat, then gestured to an adjacent stool.  "What can I do for you?"

"Not much really," Ko said with a grin.  

"Don't lie to me.  You're not my superior officer anymore, I don't have to take your crap.  What's on your mind?"  Rallwell put down her work and gazed intently at Ko.

Ko felt like squiriming under the pressure, but decided not to.  He didn't need Ong with more of his stories about his supposed crush on Rallwell; he was not one to talk, the way he went after Stone...  "Ok ok.  We're a bit worried about the disposition of the rest of the team.  Maybe we're being a bit paranoid."

"I'm sure Lieutenant Scott has the situation under control."  Rallwell shrugged.  "You have to trust your teammates, right?"

Ko didn't give voice to his truth; that they may not be trustworthy anymore.  "You're right, you're right.  We're planning retaliatory operations regardless, as we can afford to get caught unprepared."  Ko drummed his fingers against the tabletop idly.

"Are you sure about that?  If they detect your exercises, they might be offended...  We're on a peaceful relation now."  Rallwell frowned slightly at Ko's words.  Practicality involved keeping XCR friendly to them.

Ko didn't say anything.  Offense or not, they couldn't afford to just take another loss.  As far as he was concerned, it was a price of war.  He had to believe, though, that the enemy consisted of something more than immature children in soldier's bodies.  At some point, there had to be motivation - and in that, somewhere, there would be weakness and room for compromise.  Compromise could not, however, come without respect, and that was something that had to be earned.  All he knew for certain was that a passive defence would not provide that respect; it would only deliver scorn.

Rallwell studied Ko carefully.  Ko wasn't a diplomat, he was wide open.  It was obvious he believed something else and wasn't concerned about the peace.  "Do you want the killing to continue?"

Ko shook his head.  "No.  But to call what we have a 'peace' is fraudulent; we are not at peace by any means.  There are no agreements, no official contact.  For all we know, XCR may come to destroy us; we have only Scott's word.  They know we are hear, they don't want to contact us.  We should be prepared, by any means necessary, for these invaders."

"Derrick, don't be impractical.  That's what you always taught, wasn't it?"  Rallwell reached over to squeeze his shoulder.  "We're soldiers, but that doesn't mean we kill all the time."

Ko put his hand onto hers and squeezed it reassuringly.  He looked into her eyes as he said, "No, we don't kill all the time.  We need to be ready though; nothing is ever as it seems."
X-Com Alliance Sim

#38 Ghost

Ghost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

<<Joint post CPL_Stone (by Ghost) and PVT_Rallwell (by DragonHawk)>>

Somewhere at Arkunis IV, Kappa mission training location, 14th of November 2067

Rallwell sat with a number of Ascidian officers, observing the combat.  She could see Kappa and Rho teams exiting the mock warehouse now.  It looked like they were discussing their forced entry...  The whole situation made her uneasy though.

Kaitlin was discussing the tactics of their building entry with one of the Rho troopers, who was moving a bit too visible and audible to her tastes. He was going to get himself shot that way. After a minute or so the discussion ended and she walked over to the observation area. Approaching the observation spot where the Ascidian officers and Rallwell were sitting she took off her helmet and smiled at Rallwell. "Hey Anne, came to watch us?"

Rallwell grinned back, relieved to see her and not some other hairy Ascidian.  "Yes.  I'm curious to see how you're planning on breaking the XCR..."  Rallwell frowned slightly.  "I'm just worried about you, that's all."

Stone raises an eyebrow as she puts her helmet on a nearby table, and sits down on a free chair near Rallwell. "Worried about me? Oh there's no need for that. I can handle myself quite well, really. 'sides, I'm not alone, we watch eachother's backs, though I must say I was a bit worried when I heard of Alpha team's 'capture' by these XCR people."

"Not about you, per se..."  Rallwell tried to form her thoughts into words.  "The risks are a lot higher, this time."  That was underestimating her real view of the threat, but she couldn't just go ballistic on Stone.  "It's just...  I don't like the risks.  Why?  There has to be another way."

"There has to be another way for what? To resolve this without fighting? I'd wish, but at the moment the stance of those XCR troopers is that they can defeat anything we could throw at them, so most likely their demands would be insane. Believe me, despite appearance I'd rather not fight these people either. But if we do not break their superiority, we will basically have to live in fear not to upset them." Kaitlin looks at Rallwell while saying that, a look in her eyes saying, 'And I'm not going to accept having to live in fear every day again. I'd rather die fighting.'

"I suppose so.  But they're allies now, or supposed to be now, but you're right.  We can't sit around, I guess." She looked over to where the rest of the team was chatting.  "So how are the plans looking so far?"

Shaking her head slightly, "Not allies yet, they have just agreed to cease attacking in order for negotiations to be possible as I understand it." Turning her head to a group of Rho team operatives that were discussing matters over a map a few metres away. "Slowly, but steadily. The main problem is that we dont know their exact strength and abilities. We dont know if our weapons will be sufficient to beat them..."

"I can't help you there.  I've run my materials analysis, and I'm not certain of the strength either.  They must have weaknesses; if they don't we'll have some troubles matching them power on power." Rallwell's eyes swept over the warehouse again.  "Is this the size of the nuclear facility, or is it just a training structure?"

Turning towards the warehouse, she shakes her head slightly. "It's not entirely the size of a nuclear facility, but it matches the size and rough layout of the main portion of the building. The reactor areas aren't added yet though."

Rallwell nodded quietly.  "Do you think you can beat them?"  That was Rallwell's biggest worry.  XCR hadn't been defeated yet and showed little sign of that possibility.  The possibility that this was just a suicide mission was something that tugged on Rallwell's mind since she first heard of it.

Stone remained silent a moment, looking at the warehouse still and then turned towards Rallwell. "Yes we will. They are not invulnerable, there has to be a way to defeat them and we'll find it. Besides, it's not our objective to kill them all, we want to show them defeat, it's not a murder or massacre operation. We will deal as much damage as we can though."

Rallwell looked at Stone.  She looked serious, confident...  Hallmarks of the people Ghost had chosen to represent X-Com in the Ascidian forces.  It was something to admire. "I hope this is the case.  A lot is riding on what we do now."

Getting up from her seat and taking her helmet with one hand, she put a hand on Rallwell's shoulder, "Hey, not so glum, have a little faith. Dmitri, Derrick, Kevin, even Calvin, they know quite well what they are doing. Do you think they would be so foolish to just run headlong into a fight they know they cannot win? I need to head off again, we're doing another run. I'll probably see you again before our real op though, and otherwise afterwards." Stone smiles reassuringly at Rallwell before putting her helmet back on and walking off.

Stone's words were reassuring, in their way.  Rallwell nodded a brief salute to Stone and another to the rest of the team.  "Good luck," she whispered.

#39 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:07 AM

<<Pvt. Ryan>>

Nova Alpha Omega, 15November 2067

Ryan was relieved to be back in the comfort of the known, the Ascidian-turned-X-Com base of Nova Alpha Omega.  Having been home for a good part of half a year, he felt comfortable, though not quite at home, in the bowels of the mountain fortification.  His bunk felt especially soft now.  

His roommate, Corporal Paul, was sound asleep, not having gone through the tension that was their captivity.  He was at peace with his world.

Ryan was not.  Despite his surroundings, he couldn't sleep.  Everything was better, but things were different too.  Now, his overactive imagination continued to think of the end of the world, the imminent destruction of most of humanity...  It was a depressing thought.  

XCR had the capabilities to turn that around, or so Ryan thought.  Their superior technology had swept aside both Ascidians and Aliens with ease.  They could be the key to recovering the galaxy, soldiers with capabilities of the future stuck in what was, relatively speaking, a primitive past.  

His conversations with some of the XCR soldiers had led him to believe that while the soldiers were happy with their performance, they suspected traps around them.  Ryan couldn't blame them, as it was TOO easy.  But their confidence was growing; speaking to them, one would think that they were ready to take the universe, if not for the look in their eyes.  They were still haunted by the past.

Was Dogget also haunted by the past?  This question, and others, assaulted his consciousness untill he fell into an uneasy sleep.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#40 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:00 AM

<<LCpl. Ko>>

XCS Peregrine, 16 November 2067

Angrily, Ko kicked the punching bag hard.  With the Rommel in-system, training on the ground had been stopped while Ghost had been brought up to confer with Colonel Dogget.  The Ascidian combat regiments had pulled back to their home bases and had gone to low-alert to wait out the Rommel's presence.  

The Peregrine was on combat status as well.  This hadn't meant much for the operatives, as they had slept on shift anyway, but for the regular crew it meant that the activity levels were roughly the same at all hours of operation.  Tensions were still relatively low, but it was early yet.

"I should be happy," thought Ko briefly.  He wasn't though.  The Rommel made his skin crawl, and he was unhappy with the situation.  The team had not yet heard back from Ghost, but the whole situation stank.  They were taking a lot of risks, having the Rommel close to Ascidia.

A cease-fire was in effect while things were being worked out, but Ko wasn't so sure that it would help.  He wasn't convinced, at the basic level, that Dogget's motivations weren't still in force.  It still felt wrong...
X-Com Alliance Sim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users