1.0 sound in 1.4?

magic9mushroom

Okay so I've got the 1.4 patch and its inferior sound. I'm wondering if there's some way to hack the 1.0 version sound back into it, and if so the files I'd need to replace or edit.

(ie, could I rip the sound files from a clean 1.0 version install and copy them over the 1.4 version ones, or would there be compatibility issues?)

Why not just use OpenXcom and use whatever soundtrack you would like ?

A) it's new since I was active in the community, so I didn't know it existed.

B) I'd still need the 1,0 soundtrack to use it anyway.

C) depending on the answer I get here it might be simpler not to use it.

D) I dislike overly broad "bugfix" mods. Usually they fix something I don't want fixed.

@NKF: I was looking for the music, not the sounds. There is noticeable distortion in the 1.4 music IIRC. That doesn't look like it has the music in it; am I wrong?

D) I dislike overly broad "bugfix" mods. Usually they fix something I don't want fixed.

"Mod", huh? OpenXcom might be a bit broader than you think... :laugh:

Anyway, I wasn't previously aware of any differences in music between versions, other than the CE edition's jump to MIDI. According to the wiki the layout of the music files did change at some point prior to that, so it sounds like you can't just dump the 1.0 adlib file into 1.4 - I mean, sure, it's still worth a try, worst that can happen is you need to restore a previous backup of the folder, but I wouldn't expect it to work.

Personally, out of the original game versions available I recommend playing CE.

"Mod", huh? OpenXcom might be a bit broader than you think... laugh.png

Anyway, I wasn't previously aware of any differences in music between versions, other than the CE edition's jump to MIDI. According to the wiki the layout of the music files did change at some point prior to that, so it sounds like you can't just dump the 1.0 adlib file into 1.4 - I mean, sure, it's still worth a try, worst that can happen is you need to restore a previous backup of the folder, but I wouldn't expect it to work.

Personally, out of the original game versions available I recommend playing CE.

I tried to make CE work on this computer (Win7 64-bit). Much failure ensued, even when I tried to run it through XP Mode. DOSBox, on the other hand, will run the DOS version.

And eh "mod" is a reasonably concise term for "thing that requires the same files to use that looks similar". :V In any case my point is that it "fixes" at least one or two things I'd prefer not to fix and may also "fix" my favourite exploit. sad.png Also I can't use OpenXcom to test things from the original for the wiki. :P

But yeah maybe I'm confusing the 1.0-1.4 sound updates with the PC/PSX change in music. Who knows.

Ah, the usual problem with 1.4 often relates to the sound effects. Have you tried altering the sound settings in the game setup or the Dosbox .conf file? Beyond that, it might be possible your sound files are corrupted.

One other thing you might want to try is install some GUS patches into your copy of Dosbox and use the GUS emulation and see if that helps. There's a guide under the UFO table on the wiki that can run you through the steps.

- NKF