Modifying Weapon Variables

Roland117

Hello everyone, it's my first post, and I wanted to greet you and ask a rather serious question:

Xcomutil has a command that turns the gauss weapons ammo-less. Is it just changing the ammo count per clip to 0, or is there more involved in making items inf ammo?

I'm trying to make a version of the game where pretty much every weapon is ammoless (fsag i guess... XP)

I don't know if i'm supposed to just edit the obdata file, or if it's more involved than that.

Also, pardon the language, but where the hell are the sws weapon statistics listed??? I've checked most of the files in the geodata folder, and I can't find a single one of them *cry*

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Making a weapon ammo-less requires that you edit the damage and damage type for the weapon itself, and removing the clip requirement (setting them to -1 / 255). Have a look at the following article for more information:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=OBDATA.DAT#Laser_Weapons

HWP/SWS turrets are found in Geoscape.exe for the Dos versions, the windows version will have them buried deep in the main executable. I can't remember the offsets off the top of my head unfortunately.

- NKF

Thanks for showing that to me! Now, time to really mess with the poor, poor unprepared alien menace... Even if our human weapons are crap against their sonic armaments, we have infinite ammo!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!...

Sorry, I've just been messing around with the game to celebrate my first win since playing this around 10 or so years ago... tongue.png

sad.png

TFTD is not laser-friendly... But no matter, I will find those offsets!

smile.png

Okay, nevermind, it all kinda makes sense now... I hope... Last question too: if I make the gas cannon ammoless, can i still change the type of ammo it's "using" (ap/he/phosphorous)?

Last edit now... and I answered that last question... I'm thinking that it's a big fat NO. Oh well, back to it!

heheh... did that one already, but I'm going with the damage type changes - making the gas cannon he, and the hydro cannon phosphorous. Now, to find that sws offset in the geodata exe... miner.gif

And an unrelated, but important question on leveling accuracy (since I haven't had time to test it out, and i'm just guessing this): Does the auto-fire attack count as all 3 shots fired for accuracy, or just 1?

Aaaaand... Done! Now X-Com operatives have a supremely nice upper hand against the alien menace...

But will it be enough for this novice commander to win a superhuman match :( Probably not! But I'm going to do my best anyways, and hey, I'm looking on the bright side of owning a rather massive new graveyard property!

A bit of strategy (and brute force - go pulsers!) and a lot of luck go a long way no matter what equipment you're armed with.

Experienced earned from an autofire attack treats each shot individually like the single shot attacks. So if you graze the enemy with all three shots, you'll get 3 on your hit experience counter. If only 1 hits, then only 1. You didn't ask, but reaction fire is fun. If you react, you earn one reaction experience count each time you react (whether or not you fire a shot), and a hit counter increment for every shot that hits an enemy target.

- NKF

I know about reactions, but my units won't reaction-fire unless their near 80% or more TUs (I'm thinking that it's reading the old values, since the units don't really reaction fire, even at around 1/3 total TUs, which would be enough for a quickfire shot usually) But yeah, cthulhu au paste is my play by play I started in the tftd section of the forums... But I'm finding myself filled with hate for the captured aliens assist research mod from xcomutil... :( It's ruining my day, and reminding me of why I need the shok launcher to get aliens, but I need aliens to research the shok launcher... XP