North Korea claims to of carried out sucessful nuclear test

Well, if any of you have been watching the news lately, North Korea is at it again on the nuclear front: clicky. This time it appears the bomb went off properly and came close to it's expected yield. (Recall that the previous test was deemed a failure since the yield was so low - some have speculated that the explosive charges needed to create the compression necessary to start the runaway nuclear reaction didn't go off simultaneously which curtailed the yield).

North Korea warned the UN not to impose sanctions on them, and I tend to agree with North Korea in this instance. See, the government takes it's share first and whatever is left over is given to the people. If you block trades and stuff, the government is still taking it's usual cut which means less for the citizens.

Not sure what can be done at the moment to resolve the situation, but things are not looking good. :)

- Zombie

"Fancy a Korea (career) in the armed forces?" Is currently doing the rounds here in the UK.

Last I heard, the US did say they would take action if North Korea didn't behave. IIRC the South Koreans are considerably outnumbered in terms of conventional forces, though my guess would be SK has the better kit. But I suppose if NK kicks off, SK only has to defend until supporting forces turn up. US, UK, Ozzie, there were loads in the first one, quite a few might turn up for the rematch.

But will China weigh in on the side of NK again?

The US isn't doing anything yet until the UN finishes talks. But we'll probably agree to the sanctions. The Us has pledged to defend South Korea at all costs since the North has never made peace with the US or the South. So if N/S relations start to turn really sour (invasion, or gasp, nuclear strike), you can bet the US will be right there, maybe precipitating a WWIII. :)

Luckily, it seems China is going to be siding with the South, so if anything should happen it'll be first to respond. :)

- Zombie

China's intervention would almost be a no-brainer. It's on their doorstep, so it's only natural they should do the neighbourly thing... :)

Except, kidding aside, once they went in you'd be hard-pressed not to think of the consequences. Namely, they might want to stay for an extended vacation...

::

The whole thing is stupid, really. Hunger is a very real issue in NK but it's ok for the regime to hollowly parade its "might" by spending on bombs? Not to mention that there's nothing lousier for an economy than war.

No doubt a great deal many people there only wish their lives could be a little less miserable...

I'm sure there were a few people below the poverty line when nukes were being developed in the US and European countries, but it does seem to be a very different level of deprivation.

It seems that NK sees nukes as absolutely vital. And with Korea not being particularly massive, that means they can hit anywhere in South Korea, certainly Seoul, which is rather populous. Do we know if South Korea has any anti-ballistic missile weapons in place (perhaps bought/loaned from the US)?

It seems that NK sees nukes as absolutely vital. And with Korea not being particularly massive, that means they can hit anywhere in South Korea, certainly Seoul, which is rather populous. Do we know if South Korea has any anti-ballistic missile weapons in place (perhaps bought/loaned from the US)?

Have no idea, but you would think that the US gave them a good deal on some Patriot missiles. I couldn't see the US government going to war for a country and then letting it fend for itself without some economic/military aid. (Compare this to Iraq though). :)

- Zombie