"Tentaculat Trap"

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understood about the tentaculat creatures, if they go into a melee attack then your guy is a zombie, the reason they do multiple attacks is because the AI is still attacking an alive XCom guy and he only turns into a zombie at the end of the alien's turn.

Oh yeah, I managed to finish the game whilst only finishing 1 artifact site, was there actually any point to them? By the time the 2nd one was found, I could do the final mission so I went for that rather than messing around with these missions...

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The fastest way past the trap is to ignore it. If you can get close enough to the lift spaces without the tentaculats descending to zap your guy, then just elevate on past and get to the top level where the device is. Yo can move away from the lift, grenade the device, then start thinking about how you will get your hero out of there again !!

Alternatively block the room where the tentaculats stay with a Displacer tank - you can't use a coelacanth because they cant get up the stairs to the lift. You can also use a displacer to block all 4 lift squares to keep your guys in the main hall safe.

I haven't got TFTD or a reference image handy at the moment, but is there a clear line from the ground level up to the synonium device? Because if there is, I imagine destroying it would be simply a matter of arming a gas cannon with HE shells, stepping out, blasting the ceiling, then proceeding with a mad dash towards the exits.

Oh, DPLs are always the easier solution, but the gas cannon's the cheaper solution.

- NKF

Sadly not, the device is behind a pair of doors. Easily sorted with DPLs obviously, or, alternatively, if you're extra cautious:

Prime a grenade and get on the lift. Go up a level. Drop grenade, go down a level. Grenade will detonate, taking out the doors. Prime another grenade, go back up, toss that inside, go back down. Grenade blows, destroying the device.

• 14 years later...

Yeah, there's this one room in the second stage of the artefact sites - it's got a central elevator which leads up to the "double-ring" device. And, on the second level are little alcoves, each of them potentially holding a tentaculat. So, of course, what happend the first time I saw one of these rooms, I didn't think twice about sending in a pair of guys through one entrance -

"Hey, look, a tentaculat", the dudes shoot it down. I click end turn, and then the next turn, I see a pair of those guys come out of little alcoves and zombie my guys.

Over the years, I haven't had any particular luck with those rooms in any case, and I usually wind up losing one or two guys going in there. So, I was curious what people do to beat the "Tentaculat Trap"...

Send the Displacer in first, wait for all the Tentaculats to mob it, circle the room to finish off any that didn't take the bait, THEN send the soldiers in.

I haven't got TFTD or a reference image handy at the moment, but is there a clear line from the ground level up to the synonium device? Because if there is, I imagine destroying it would be simply a matter of arming a gas cannon with HE shells, stepping out, blasting the ceiling, then proceeding with a mad dash towards the exits.

Oh, DPLs are always the easier solution, but the gas cannon's the cheaper solution.

- NKF

Sadly not, the device is behind a pair of doors. Easily sorted with DPLs obviously, or, alternatively, if you're extra cautious:

Prime a grenade and get on the lift. Go up a level. Drop grenade, go down a level. Grenade will detonate, taking out the doors. Prime another grenade, go back up, toss that inside, go back down. Grenade blows, destroying the device.

The ceiling of the main chamber (where the massive ambush happens) is indeed the floor under the Synomium, so shooting up from ground floor will indeed get the Synomium (due to the bug where explosives fired into a ceiling phase through it). I'm not 100% sure the Gas Cannon does enough damage to pop the Synomium, though.