Well, I'm wondering.
Required stuff to beat the game:
- A Leviathan
- "T'leth, the Alien's City" research
Required pickups to get those things:
- Deep One Corpse (for Aqua Plastics)
- Ion-Beam Accelerators
- Magnetic Navigation
- Live Deep One Terrorist (for Ion Armour and Alien Origins, will also give you the non-essential but helpful M.C. Lab)
- Alien Sub Construction
- Live Gill Man Commander, Lobster Man Navigator, or Lobster Man Commander (for The Ultimate Threat)
- Live Lobster Man Commander (for T'leth, the Alien's City and Leviathan).
Now, you can't have a Deep One and a Lobster Man Commander on the same mission, so that immediately rules out completing it in 2 missions. Deep Ones (in the plural, as you need one dead and one alive) appear only on Gill Man terror sites and base defenses (or Mixed Crew type 5 base defenses), so one of those missions must be completed. Lobster Man Commanders only appear on Lobster Man Dreadnoughts, Lobster Man base defenses and Alien Colonies, so one of those must be completed as well.
To do this blind, the best approach would seem to be a Gill Man terror site (invariably
the first one that appears) and an Alien Colony (since you can't tell which race a Dreadnought is), but I don't know if there are any Magnetic Navigations or Alien Sub Constructions in Alien Colonies (I know there are Ion-Beam Accelerators and I'm fairly sure there's Zrbite as well). Does anyone know? Are there any other problems with doing TFTD in 3 missions (besides having to avoid losing)?
(Has anyone actually tried this challenge already?)