73 replies to this topic

#61 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:27 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. But if it does happen, congratulations, Chaos Concept!

#62 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:39 AM

I dare you to buy it! You're such a mark SV, lol. I preordered this game back in 2012.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#63 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

I shall not be dared into this. :D I bought many games just to help the company, rarely did it make any difference. I also bought no. 1 even though I knew I won't really be playing it. I've done my part.

#64 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:45 PM

::

UFO2: Extraterrestrials is now actually out there and available on Steam. Posted Image

#65 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:18 AM

Thanks! Purchased and just started my first game. Seems like ages ago when I played UFO:ET so it's taking me a little bit to get acclimated again. Got past my first landing site ok, there were a couple instances where an alien was camped out and Rx fired on a soldier, but luckily the armor sopped it up. My only issue at the moment is trying to figure out how to get more scientists. If I remember the first game correctly, then I think I need to build another lab (once I get enough space bucks that is). :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#66 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:23 AM

I checked the gameplay vid. Very X-COM, I'm willing to bet it is far better than the originals. The first game was, too, in a way. That said, I wouldn't be able to play it for the same reasons as I wouldn't be able to play X-COM again; the damn time units (here action points I presume) optimization. This system is just so time consuming I ditched my last few attempts at X-COM. I do wish UFO2 all the best, naturally.

#67 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:49 PM

View PostZombie, on 16 June 2021 - 05:18 AM, said:

Thanks! Purchased and just started my first game. Seems like ages ago when I played UFO:ET so it's taking me a little bit to get acclimated again. Got past my first landing site ok, there were a couple instances where an alien was camped out and Rx fired on a soldier, but luckily the armor sopped it up. My only issue at the moment is trying to figure out how to get more scientists. If I remember the first game correctly, then I think I need to build another lab (once I get enough space bucks that is). Posted Image

- Zombie

Is  it worth the price? Judging by the visuals and the reviews it's a pass.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#68 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

I have about 40 hours in so far, so that should say that it's worth something. Your mileage may vary though. Posted Image

My issues with this game so far are quite a few:
  • Soldiers say things in pop-up bubbles between rounds like they did in the first game (exact same wording btw), but I find that annoying. You still cannot turn these off.
  • Research/game progression seems scripted with very few (if any) side topics.
  • I'm still using the standard rifles (albeit with upgraded ammo) but there aren't any better guns yet. I did research photon beamers (alien equivalent to plasma pistols in UFO Defense) but those aren't exactly accurate and their power is limited to aliens which are resistant (but not completely immune) to upgraded human ammo.
  • Soldier pictures are still Godawful and there aren't a huge variety of them either so everyone begins to look the same after a while.
  • With 2 labs and 20 scientists I occasionally research all the available topics, and then they sit idle until the game progresses enough to spawn bigger UFOs.
  • There isn't much variation in terrain or landing zones. If you down a UFO in farm terrain, the landing zone around your ship almost always looks the same. The UFO will always be as far away from your dropship as possible which makes missions a slog/grind. If your dropship is at the edge of a map you can guess the UFO is going to be clear across the map. Gone are the days of your ship spawning next to a UFO.
  • Aliens inside buildings can throw grenades at your soldiers outside. Yet you cannot return the favor. You may be able to see an alien but if there is anything between you and the alien you can't target it. You have to target the obstacle first to destroy it, then you will get a clear LOF. Even your own soldiers kneeling down are an obstacle.
  • Seems like the same ultimate strategy for upgrading soldiers: in the beginning, keep dumping points into firing accuracy, agility, vitality and strength. Once FA, TUs and Health are in the 80s, dump points mainly into strength (first) and bravery with any other points going into maybe reactions or something. You need a lot of strength for the better armors otherwise you'll end up wearing something less than ideal. Alien weapons weigh a lot.
To me it seems like it's just a reskin of UFO:ET. It took how many years to do a reskin with no significant Quality Of Life improvements? Yeah. If you already own UFO:ET, go play that instead. It's far cheaper and basically the same game. If you don't own UFO:ET, well, it's not on Steam anymore (might be a temporary thing) so you either have to buy a physical copy or try Green Man Gaming (still there for $14.95 USD which is a hell of a lot cheaper than $34.99 for UFO2:ET).

To answer SV's question, UFO2:ET is not better than UFO:EU or X-COM: UFO Defense. I'm sorry, it's just not. It's not even better than UFO:ET (so far). There is just so much customization and variability to X-COM which makes it more interesting to play. At least gimme something different. More gun types like in Silent Storm would go a long way. Gimme options to spread research, manufacturing and soldiers between different bases. Cramming that all into one base is a nightmare, and that reduces all other bases to detection and interception. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#69 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:40 PM

Thought so as much. What about bugs? Any game breaking or annoying? CTDs? Stuff like that.

#70 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:32 AM

No crashes to desktop or blue screen of death, not sure about bugs though. The only issue I had so far was the inability to save for a bit. I was  nearing the end of a mission and clicked save because I needed to stop for a while to eat. When I came back and tried to save again after a couple turns the game allowed me to click the button, but as soon as I did the aliens started their turn in the background. While not game breaking, it was kind of a ironman type of scenario as I had to finish off missions in one sitting without saving. Back in the Geoscape, the game refused to save again but I did notice the auto-save feature was still working as the time stamps were updating. It eventually went away after I rebooted so maybe it was a glitch on my end. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#71 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 11:22 AM

Well then off to the 75% wait.

#72 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 04 July 2021 - 11:22 AM, said:

Well then off to the 75% wait.
I see the damage I've done. :D

#73 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 05:47 AM

I don't think this game was made by the original developers. They clearly died and their children made this game. 2012. 2021.
8 Years.

- n0x
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#74 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:08 AM

I've been playing this game on and off for the last few weeks or so. One new thing is "floating bases". To get to this I just saved the game and rushed ahead in research till I got the topic while making sure to shoot down all the UFOs I detected to keep my score up. Floating bases are a misnomer. It's technically a aircraft carrier. Well, there's elements of both, but more aircraft carrier than anything else. ;)

So you need to actually manufacture the floating bases first. Once built, they occupy a base slot so you have to remember that. They have 3 hangars like a normal base but you can also build a selection of base facilities (I think you have 8 slots available). Mostly you'll want a detection station (aka radar) and a bunch of defenses so that UFOs don't get too close. I have a limited selection of defensive facilities but dual photon defenses along with dual heavy missile defenses seem like a good pairing. And then make sure you have the best aircraft you can build with the best armor, missiles and cannons. Goes without saying because of the limited number of hangars. :)

You can move these things around by clicking on them in the geoscape and selecting move. They kinda take a while to get where you want them to go though, so it's not like you can instantly move them to help out shooting down a UFO somewhere. But you can launch your interceptors from them. I'm honestly not sure how useful they are in the grand scheme of things. Land based bases have a huge advantage in that they are customizable and have a lot more slots for hangars and defenses. Possibly another advantage is for funding as a land-based CAF base automatically raises the funding cap of that region from ~400k to 780k. I guess the advantage for the floating bases are the ability to move them around to where your detection coverage is lacking or where there is a large amount of UFO activity.

That's the lowdown of floating bases in case anyone is wondering about them. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users