#21 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

View PostVeki, on 5th March 2011, 1:51pm, said:

1. Cloaking. Is it any good? I can research adv. cloaking so my ships can fire while cloaked.
2. I'm quite agitated by Tarka ships strategic range and speed. How cone they can travel so far and so fast?

Cloaking is very useful. Best used in cruiser fleets with all ships cloaked. The enemy won't know you're coming and defenders will often be at the other side of the colony.

In late game everybody has some sort of deep scan ships present in battle (AI usually builds scanner satellites) so counting on your ships not to be discovered in a battle is not advisable, but if you use the element of surprise well the enemy can't do much about it.

In antimatter era everybody can travel fast and far. Forget the entrenched warfare, go into attack. That IS the best defence.

#22 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Time to revive this thread.

I managed to push my green enemy, but then his yellow friend joined the party. My advance was quite difficult, but I managed to grab a nice piece of galaxy.
Posted Image

My last victory might be THE victory that will tip the scales in my favor (+ no losses  :) ).
Posted Image

I found these designs to work really well.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The CR is exceptionally good. I used 6 CR + non combat CnC DN to destroy 4 DN before being destroyed. A single DN with heavy drivers (small blue spheres that knock your ships around?) finally managed to destroy 2 of them by making them spin so CR couldn't hit it.

I'm having Dependence spreading through my planets. I assume I have to research Human Temperance to eliminate it?

I have researched drones. Are they any good? Would they be better then what I have now (Cutting beam + Heavy AM cannon)?

There are some things/bugs that are starting to get on my nerves.
1. I'm allied to purple player. Almost every time (+95%) I load a savegame I get either a question for my yellow enemy to join our alliance or a message that purple will downgrade our alliance to NAP.  :(
2. During tactical combat when I order a ship to attack an enemy if it is not facing it directly it will fire its primary weapons while it is turning to face the enemy. Of course that means that when it faces the enemy its weapons will be empty. In other words, it wastes perfectly good shot.  :(
3. Also during tactical combat. My ships have a habit of firing at enemy regardless if one their friends is in their line of fire. VERY frustrating to see a DN firing all 11 Cutting beams into engine section of my other DN.  :)^2 :)
4. When I have 2 fleets with CnC I can't choose which fleet will I be commanding in combat. There is a choice and I select which fleet I want, but it's not working.  :(

#23 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

View PostVeki, on 13th April 2011, 6:14pm, said:

I'm having Dependence spreading through my planets. I assume I have to research Human Temperance to eliminate it?
True.

I have researched drones. Are they any good? Would they be better then what I have now (Cutting beam + Heavy AM cannon
Not this late in the game. Drones are GREAT against players with no PD and later, with added armour or even advanced frames, against players with no missile and phaser PD. Those two will just reduce them to dust in a matter of seconds though.

I'm allied to purple player. Almost every time (+95%) I load a savegame I get either a question for my yellow enemy to join our alliance or a message that purple will downgrade our alliance to NAP.
Diplomacy bug. Also I don't know why SotS is recalculating the diplomacy at loading, but that is what it seems to be doing.

During tactical combat when I order a ship to attack an enemy if it is not facing it directly it will fire its primary weapons while it is turning to face the enemy. Of course that means that when it faces the enemy its weapons will be empty. In other words, it wastes perfectly good shot.
Usually that happens when its turn crosses another enemy ship. The weapons fire and ship turns on... You can assign weapons with long recharge rates to another weapon group and have them set to fire only at my target. BTW, you did notice that you can manage weapon groups when designing ships? I never do that, but you can if you want. With weapons such as HCLs and impactors that could prove beneficial.

Also during tactical combat. My ships have a habit of firing at enemy regardless if one their friends is in their line of fire. VERY frustrating to see a DN firing all 11 Cutting beams into engine section of my other DN.
SotS does check FF, but only at the start of the fire sequence. Everything that happen in between...

When I have 2 fleets with CnC I can't choose which fleet will I be commanding in combat. There is a choice and I select which fleet I want, but it's not working.
As far as I know, it is working. But you only start with that fleet's layout, you get all the ships from all fleets in any case. If you think it is not working you can post a bug report at Kerberos' forums, too.

#24 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Space Voyager said:

SotS does check FF, but only at the start of the fire sequence. Everything that happen in between...
I'm not sure if it works properly because I regularly see that ships are in line of fire but they still fire. :) I lose more ships from FF than from enemy fire. :)

Space Voyager said:

As far as I know, it is working. But you only start with that fleet's layout, you get all the ships from all fleets in any case. If you think it is not working you can post a bug report at Kerberos' forums, too.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I know that when I have 2 fleets at one planet and combat happens I have a small button "Options" on the bottom of my ship listing where I can choose which fleet will lead the battle. But fleet I choose doesn't lead the battle.

AND guess what I just discovered on yellow enemy ships? A yellow-orange half sphere.  :)

#25 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostVeki, on 15th April 2011, 5:09am, said:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I know that when I have 2 fleets at one planet and combat happens I have a small button "Options" on the bottom of my ship listing where I can choose which fleet will lead the battle. But fleet I choose doesn't lead the battle.
Can't test now but isn't there a little star next to each fleet that you need to click on or something? Can't remember right now.

AND guess what I just discovered on yellow enemy ships? A yellow-orange half sphere.  :)
If the half-sphere you are talking about is disruptor shield, good luck. :) You are pretty into energy weapons, so this can be a blow. You can try to go close and envelop the enemy so that your ships will be able to find a target to shoot from behind the shield, or you can start research of... less energetic weapons.

#26 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

Space Voyager said:

If the half-sphere you are talking about is disruptor shield, good luck. :) You are pretty into energy weapons, so this can be a blow. You can try to go close and envelop the enemy so that your ships will be able to find a target to shoot from behind the shield, or you can start research of... less energetic weapons.
Cutting beam + heavy AM cannon + Quantum capacitors. :) :(  :(
Luckily I have most of ballistic weapons available for research. Neutronium rounds should be researched next turn (if no overbudget :)). Next will be Shield breakers and AP rounds.
Are siege drivers good vs ships (DN especially)?

#27 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

View PostVeki, on 15th April 2011, 9:59am, said:

Are siege drivers good vs ships (DN especially)?
Nope. They have surprisingly low HP - for a rock... They are excellent at colony busting though.

#28 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Do you know how fast Deflector and Disruptor shield go down with Shield breaker rounds?

#29 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

No, but people complained it is too fast. Do tell!

#30 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Space Voyager said:

Can't test now but isn't there a little star next to each fleet that you need to click on or something? Can't remember right now.
I' ve managed to select the fleet I want in combat. Don't know why it didn't work before. :)

In short, Shield breaker rounds are broken.

They take down Point deflector shield in one shot regardless of ship size including your own so one has to be very careful not to hit his own shields (not ships). They have no effect on Disruptor shield, just pass through them.

Here's a savegame so you can test for yourself :
http://www.mediafire...kab2bm8hhqb7szn

You can see in battle at Bezzaro II how they (don't) work. :)

#31 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

True... Had to wait a bit for the shielded DN to appear but the rounds went right through it. According to SotS Wiki it should take the shield down...

Could you post this issue at Kerberos' SotS1 tech support forum?

#32 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Sorry for double posting but I didn't want you to miss this one - it was already reported.

It remains unclear whether shield breakers should take disruptor shield down or not as devs have not commented on it.

#33 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for info. I didn't post it yet as I want to see if I found another bug so I could report that as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users