142 replies to this topic

#21 Kaije

Kaije

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

Oh yeah, I generally just do that to access the inventory. I know the icons are there, I just have't paid much attention to 'em  :laugh:

#22 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

It's the only button I use on that panel, I think.  Everything else is mouse and keyboard.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#23 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

So that's what those buttons do! Thanks guys! ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#24 Kaije

Kaije

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

Okay here's another silly question, what are canteens for? To restore energy? I've had a few of them, but never used them since I don't exactly know what they do, and if they are useful, I'd rather not waste them...

#25 Veki

Veki

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:52 AM

Yes, canteens are used to restore energy. Be sure to merge them so you have 100 % full canteens. Don't waste them as you can't refill them.

#26 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Aye canteens just restore energy.  I never use them past the very start of the game, far too much stuff to carry.

Edit:  Had a bit of a reorganise, stripping posts out of one topic and adding them here, and renaming this topic.  Hope this is okay Kaije, as it's your topic I've taken liberites with!

#27 Kaije

Kaije

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:51 AM

It's all good FullAuto, I'll just PM you the topics I want to discuss from now on so you can start them properly  ;)

About how much do salaries increase per level for the cheaper 'beginner' AIM mercs? I don't need exact figures, I just want to be financially prepared as I progress further in the game.

#28 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:09 AM

Good man!  ;)

Got Grizzly at level 5 now, and his weekly/fortnightly cost is 7k/12k compared to 3.5k/6k at the beginning (level 2).

So what's that, about 30% a level?

#29 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

So, what's wrong with Father John? Does he need to enroll in Alcoholics Anonymous or something? He's got quite a bit of alcohol in the church and on his person. Hmmm. I realize some alcohol is needed for the sacraments, but it seems over the top nonetheless. :)

By the way, in the back room of the church I found a good wad of cash ($980). Obviously this is from tithing. But if I take it away will it be harder for Father John to help out with food and supplies... or is it just ripe for the picking? Seems morally wrong to steal from the church too... ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#30 Kaije

Kaije

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:29 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 27th August 2009, 2:09am, said:

Good man!  :)

Got Grizzly at level 5 now, and his weekly/fortnightly cost is 7k/12k compared to 3.5k/6k at the beginning (level 2).

So what's that, about 30% a level?
Just by those numbers it would be 33%, or 2k a fortnight per additional level (for Grizzly at least)... And a bit more reasonable than I was expecting, yay!

View PostZombie, on 27th August 2009, 4:58am, said:

So, what's wrong with Father John? Does he need to enroll in Alcoholics Anonymous or something? He's got quite a bit of alcohol in the church and on his person. Hmmm. I realize some alcohol is needed for the sacraments, but it seems over the top nonetheless. ;)

By the way, in the back room of the church I found a good wad of cash ($980). Obviously this is from tithing. But if I take it away will it be harder for Father John to help out with food and supplies... or is it just ripe for the picking? Seems morally wrong to steal from the church too... :)

- Zombie
Is there anything to be gained from giving him some alcohol when he asks for it, or is it just for the extra dialogue?

I've cleaned out the church without anyone making a fuss about it. Of course I have yet to progress much further than this point... Actually, this is what I just now finished in my expert campaign and the rest of the game will be a whole new experience for me.

#31 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

Is there anything to be gained from giving him some alcohol when he asks for it, or is it just for the extra dialogue?

Just the extra bit of dialogue, I think.  Father John Walker.  Classic.

The vast majority of stuff in people's houses you can steal with no negative effects.  They won't say anything to a bunch of professional killers rifling through their belongings.  Can't think why.  There are certain sectors where they'll shoot you for that same behaviour, and it will be obvious when you're in them, if you have a quick think on.

#32 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 27th August 2009, 8:20am, said:

Just the extra bit of dialogue, I think.  Father John Walker.  Classic.
Shows you how much I know of Scotch Whiskey. :) Beer is my forte. Thanks for pointing this out FA. :)

After interrogating Father John and then talking to him in a friendly manner he asks for sacramental wine, or any alcohol for that matter. When you give him some he says this:

Well that's mighty thoughtful of you. A little something to pick up the spirits.
Don't think that'll do anything to be honest. Besides, how can you trust a priest who lies? He has 2 bottles of alcohol already, how many more does he need? He's gotta be an alcoholic, that's the only conclusion I can draw. And I'm not going to foster his addiction further by adding more fuel to the fire. May brimstone rain down upon me. ;)

I finally figured out that I can deposit cash by dragging it to the $ button. That's not quite intuitive because the $ menu only has withdrawal functions. Bad design IMHO. At least that money is safe and secure in the bank (a staggering $2,445 at the moment).

Mercenary contracts were coming due so I decided to negotiate a longer 2 week contract. Bull, Barry and Grizzly cheerily signed up. However, Fox and Hitman will only work on a day-by-day basis now. What are my options? Keep negotiating a contract every 24 hours is one option. Letting the contract expire and then picking someone else up is another. I probably need a mech of some sort, right? Who's good (and cheap)? Steroid perhaps? :) Ja, I'm here to pump *claps* you up. :) At least I'm getting the $1,600 medical deposit back from both of them... :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#33 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

However, Fox and Hitman will only work on a day-by-day basis now.

Perhaps try giving them several 24 hour additions and then asking them to stay a week or two?

I probably need a mech of some sort, right? Who's good (and cheap)? Steroid perhaps?

Steroid's good, plus he's strong enough to wield a crowbar into the bargain, so you've got someone to break things open.  Wolf is more expensive, but he can be a very good jack of all trades with a bit of experience, becoming competent in bomb doctoring, medical, and mech.  Plus he's a decent fighter too.  He's a bit of a bargain.

#34 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 28th August 2009, 2:58am, said:

Perhaps try giving them several 24 hour additions and then asking them to stay a week or two?
Aye, that would work (just tested). Thing is, Hitman is getting kinda expensive ($11000 for 2 weeks). Though, I could still hire him and stuff him in the Drassen Airport to help protect it, right? ;)

View PostFullAuto, on 28th August 2009, 2:58am, said:

Steroid's good, plus he's strong enough to wield a crowbar into the bargain, so you've got someone to break things open.  Wolf is more expensive, but he can be a very good jack of all trades with a bit of experience, becoming competent in bomb doctoring, medical, and mech.  Plus he's a decent fighter too.  He's a bit of a bargain.
I could really use Steroid's services so I may pick him up. Maybe even a proper doctor as Fox is just half-a$$ed. :)

So here's a stupid question: what is Leadership good for? Most mercs are really low in this stat (except Gus Tarballs). I suspect that this stat is purposefully deflated because it can be increased fairly fast by training up Militia. And training uses what stat? Wisdom? Speaking of Militia, should I train up a bunch and stick them in the provinces of Drassen? I'd think the major province to protect is the mine and the second would be the airport because it is vital for ferrying troops and equipment. As it stands, there are ominous groups of enemies circling Drassen right now. :)

Now that I control the Drassen mine, I'm pulling in $7,776 per day so it appears my money problems have been solved (at least in the short term). No more random killings for spare change, hehe. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#35 SoulBrotherKab

SoulBrotherKab

Babylon Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

I didn't see anyone mention, sooo IMO...the first super merc you should consider getting when in the market for one is Shadow.  His ninja skills and all around fighting ability is top notch.  Put a FN FAL into his hands and it's like God shooting down lightning bolts from Heaven, smiting your enemies.  He's the ultimate night time fighter.  Which is useful to me, as when I play, I usually make my personally made IMP merc a stealth/night ops.  Having night time capabilities makes thing infinitely easier.  So much so, that I've had no problems finishing 6 mercs vs. 20 soldier fights without anyone being shot at by the enemy (majority of the fighting having been done by Shadow and Mr. IMP).

Also, if you can afford it, one of the best mercs out there isn't a mercenary at all.  I would mention the name and where, but you'll find him when you get there.  I think he costs like $3,000 or so a day, but if you can afford it, totally worth it.

But Shadow is high on the list because often you can't hire him because he's away on another job...a lot of the time it seems.  And it would be a damn travesty if he were to die out there, all alone in a South American coca plantation, or some desert in the Mid East...before you put him to work raping and pillaging the countryside of Arulco.
John Henry Eden 2012!

#36 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

View PostZombie, on 29th August 2009, 2:26am, said:

Aye, that would work (just tested). Thing is, Hitman is getting kinda expensive ($11000 for 2 weeks). Though, I could still hire him and stuff him in the Drassen Airport to help protect it, right? :)

That's not expensive.  That's actually decent value for money.  By all means defend sectors with mercs when you have to, but the majority of defences should be done by militia.

So here's a stupid question: what is Leadership good for? Most mercs are really low in this stat (except Gus Tarballs). I suspect that this stat is purposefully deflated because it can be increased fairly fast by training up Militia. And training uses what stat? Wisdom?

Leadership is good for training militia and talking to certain people.  If your mercs have rock-bottom leadership, some people won't talk to you, or won't let you hire them.  Training militia is probably the quickest way to increase it.  Hitman's good for this IIRC, he's got teaching as a skill.  When a merc trains a certain stat, wisdom affects how fast they improve.  Someone with 80 wisdom will improve faster than someone with 60 wisdom, in all areas.  Look out for high wisdom mercs, as even if they start out rubbish, they can quickly become competent guns.

Speaking of Militia, should I train up a bunch and stick them in the provinces of Drassen? I'd think the major province to protect is the mine and the second would be the airport because it is vital for ferrying troops and equipment. As it stands, there are ominous groups of enemies circling Drassen right now. :)

Oh yes.  Train as many militia as you like, or better yet, as many as possible.

Now that I control the Drassen mine, I'm pulling in $7,776 per day so it appears my money problems have been solved (at least in the short term). No more random killings for spare change, hehe. ;)

Good news for anyone with more than $40 in their pockets...

View PostSoulBrotherKab, on 29th August 2009, 3:26am, said:

I didn't see anyone mention, sooo IMO...the first super merc you should consider getting when in the market for one is Shadow.  His ninja skills and all around fighting ability is top notch.  Put a FN FAL into his hands and it's like God shooting down lightning bolts from Heaven, smiting your enemies.  He's the ultimate night time fighter.

Agreed.  He's a monster, with the bonus of permanent camo.  One of the purest fighters available.

#37 SoulBrotherKab

SoulBrotherKab

Babylon Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Oh, wanted to say something about training militias.  YES!  TRAIN!  TRAIN A LOT!  Ira and Hitman are good for this early on.  I usually at the very least, stack a sector with the most amount of militia it'll hold.  Good thing to do is train militia in a sector and then move them to where you want them within the city.  That way, most of the time can be spent training and you don't have to wait any time moving your mercs.

Once you get the entire city filled up with all of the militia it'll hold, move on to a new town and do it again.  Once you're satisfied with the amount of militia, if you have the money and spare mercs (this is where those crappy free ones like Ira come in handy) send them to vital sectors like mines and airports and train the militia there to be more elite.  Of course you're going to have to send them back and forth to replace dead militia.

During the course of the game, Ira will be the best merc for training militia, period.  She'll gain tons of points, she's free, she'll be worth 2 mercs when it comes to training.  So KEEP HER ALIVE AT ALL COSTS!.
John Henry Eden 2012!

#38 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:25 AM

Well, obviously. :) Free is free. Ira isn't all that bad in terms of stats, but she just oozes leadership potential after only a few militia training sessions.

Hey, FA - I see you are always yanking weapons away from enemies with Bull. How the heck do you do that? In all my encounters I could only kill... ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#39 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Ctrl & left-click on the enemy.  Beware, it takes a lot of APs.

#40 SoulBrotherKab

SoulBrotherKab

Babylon Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Heh, I bought JA2 a million years ago when it first came out (for $50 too) and and no idea you could knock the weapons from people's hands either.  I knew you could sometimes knock them out of their hands with a good shot...but that's it.
John Henry Eden 2012!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users