Playing any games?

That's a fairly hefty file, at least for dial up. But if it means being able to play the game again...

Infinite hover bug? That's not the one where you launch the mortarbike into the air, dip the nose down (or look right up) and apply reverse thrust and you end up flying straight up? Haven't been able to do this with any other of the ships although the Thunderbolt's were only able to provide enough thrust to slow their descent or hover in mid air.

- NKF

Truth be told, I was never quite sure how to do it: I was only a victim of it during online games. Those who knew how could pull it off at will and it essentially meant they could rain down hell below without danger to themselves (you can't aim very high up, for whatever reason).

• 2 weeks later...
The Combat Mission trilogy. Basically turn-based realistic WWII strategy, but you order your units, then watch your force and the enemy carry out their instructions in real time, with the bonus of being able to rewind and fast forward through the real time bits, allowing you to watch all of the action. Graphics aren't anything special, and it's a bit laborious setting up each battle if you like to fiddle as much as I do, but they're cracking games.

I've just mentioned it in another thread but I'm currently playing Jagged Alliance 2 (on ironman mode of course :oh: ) and I'm absolutely loving it. I could kick myself for not having found this great game sooner. Anyway I've set myself the target of completing it before JA3 is released and so far I am well on schedule.

Oh man! Just like me you don't know what you've been missing!

Once you get your head around the 2D retro graphics you will find an amazing game filled with so much attention to detail and character.

At first impression I didn't think much of it, but the more you get into it the more you will fall in love with the game.

Unfortunately it's not abandonware yet, but due to it's age you can pick up the Gold Edition which includes 'Unfinished Business' (a bit like what Sentinels is to Silent Storm) for an absolute bargain price.

You can buy it at places like Amazon for around $15, or if you can't wait and don't mind not having the box you can download it from Strategy First for $14.99

It's worth every penny I assure you.

I agree, it's quite a fun game and caters to a lot of different play styles. Seriously - you can beat the final mission with your bare fists if you wanted.

About the only thing I didn't like about it was the militia aspect. The poor sods you spend a lot of time and effort to train up and defend some of the hapless towns generally don't stand a chance even if they're all cyan-vests with a few blue-vests sprinkled amongst them.

If you're out and about, I recommend visiting your local games outlets. I frequently see JA2 in the bargain bins these days.

- NKF

What difficulty level did you play on? Maybe that was the problem. The game is notoriously difficult.

I control 5 towns/cities now so am only just getting to the stage I think where they are starting to send tougher forces against my Militia. So far they have held themselves extremely well and have fended off all of Deidranna forces that have come at them without too much trouble.

I'm playing on 'Novice' but with the 'Ironman' mode activated so no saves during combat missions. That's probably why my Milita are fairing so well, probably better than my mercenaries in fact. :oh:

Sweet! I've heard a bunch of amazing things about it, and I LOVE Digital Distribution, so a download might just be in my near future.

Hmm, it seems that Unfinished Buisness is seperate but standalone. Should I go for the original game or the expansion? (Sentinels is a much more fully featured game than S2, but S2 has more pure "fun" to it for me)

I'd go for the standalone game if you have to choose between them, but I don't understand, if you download the Gold Pack I thought you were supposed to get them both.

I bought the Gold pack and received 'JA2' and 'JA2 Unfinished Business' on two spereate CDs as seperate games. I haven't played Unfinished Business but I understand it's a kind of standalone expansion with the parts of the orginial game that they didn't have time to include, hence the name Unfinished Business.

Are you sure you don't get them both?

Well, beat Homeworld and skipped over to UFO Aftermath and got up to the first collapsable weapon, now back to the PS2 and have decided to complete Shadow of the Colossus.

The premise is very simple. Lone hero on a horse with a dead woman he's trying to revive. Goes to a temple in the land of the collosus and voices in his head tell him that he can revive her by slaying the giants that roam the land. That's it, basically.

It's a weird but entertaining game. It has long periods of doing nothing but ride a horse and admiring the stunning but very empty scenery. It has a very massive feel to the environment. Almost a touristy game actually in that respect.

Then there are the fights with the colossus themselves. This is where all the action occurs. No small enemies to get in your way or midbosses to tease you. Just one Colossus fight after another between travelling the countryside. They're giants (or well, most of the are, but there are one or two the size of bulls) that look like a mishmash of organic buildings, mineral, monsters or even mechs. It's hard to tell exactly what they are.

The fights are simply amazing, and some of the visuals during the fights are breathtaking if you take the time to observe. Especially when you're clinging for your dear life onto one of the flyers in the air, water base collosus as they're diving or simply when they're trying to shake you off their back. Of course, the actual fight is nothing more than an 'action' puzzle game where you need to knowing the right sequence of actions you need to take in order to climb onto the collossus (or removing some obstacle like armour plates) and stabbing its weak points until its dead. This can either be depressingly easy or infuriatingly hard, depending on how frantic the fight is and whether you've got the time to stop and think and look for things around the battlefield that can be of use. Most of the fun is in working out the puzzle for yourself.

Unfortunately it's also a game where you have to set up the controls right so that you dont' end up fighting the camera all the time. Particularly when riding your horse - consider setting the 'move horse' button to one of the shoulder buttons (say swap it with the the centre-camera button) so that you can free up your thumbs to not only control the reigns, but to keep the camera pointing where you want it. It also really helps when you're trying to fire your bow while riding the horse.

Much fun, and well recommended if you liked games like Ico or just want to try something different from what you're accustomed to.

- NKF

I'm playing the most enjoyable game I have played in about five years: Deus Ex! :oh: the thing is about 8 year old now, the graphics engine is showing its age, but the game plays like the gem it is, I can honestly say I haven't played a game this good ever since I played it last time.

Great game indeed. The scenarios are limited, but you've got lots of flexibility in how you complete them. How are you approaching it this time?

Also, when Paul gives you a choice of three weapons at the start, what do you normally go for? Do you picked depending on how you want to build up JC, or do you go for the GEP right off the bat regardless of your intended role? I generally get it right off, since it's a wonderful all-purpose lockpick. :oh:

It's very handy, but I suppose not ultimately necessary. Still, you almost immediately stumble on a crossbow and sniper rifle but won't get a GEP for quite some time.

- NKF

I'm trying to play it less combat oriented this time, using more skill points on lockpick, electronics and computer. Playing it on hard now, though I'm regretting of not going for Realistic :)

I've never got the GEP Gun, I always ask for the crossbow (I forget I can get one later :P), tranquilizer darts are basically a one-hit-"kill" if used properly, and I use them a lot at the beginning when I'm at my weakest.

Say, when you're asked to kill the leader of the NSF at the airport, what do you usually do? if you trust the NSF, do you just walk away? Cause I always set up two LAMs at the entrance to the room the leader is in so that when Anna Navarre walks in she blows up, one less mech to worry about :oh:

Yeah, the crossbows along with the baton are extremely handy one-hit wonders (when used right) that also work well on your conscience (well, for knocking out NSF and Unatco agents at least).

As for the NSF leader, it's hard not to want to trust him after playing through the game once - and yeah it's better to have one mini-boss down now than face her later. I threw in an EMP as well to sap Anna's energy due to a shield, as she wouldn't go down at one time and it resulted in battle that ended in a self destruct in close quarters. Not nice at all.

- NKF

I did, and unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I was hoping I would.

It felt more like a what-if or a work of fan-fiction. The way JC (and Tong to an extent) turned out in Invisible War made it feel like as if all the efforts in the original were for nothing.

Story gripes aside, there's the whole universal ammo system. It could have worked if they had two or three sets of universal ammo for small arms, heavy arms, etc. As it was, you ran out of ammo for one weapon, you ran out for all your weapons.

The simplification of the mod system didn't really work for me either, but I guess it meant less micromanaging.

In the end, it was fun in its own way, but it didn't have all the elements that made the original so appealing. That's how I feel anyway.

- NKF

• 5 weeks later...