61 replies to this topic

#41 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:24 AM

Like its forerunners, Apocalypse uses multiple executable files to operate. Applying a different extender via a batch file most likely won't work because you need to target all of them.

Try using the "sb" tool on each one. There's "TACP.EXE" in the "TACEXE" folder, as well as "SMKP.EXE" and "UFO2P.EXE" in the "UFOEXE" folder. "XCOMAPOC.EXE" doesn't actually use an extender so you don't need to worry about that.

The command is this:

sb /r <executable name>

Note that once you've doctored each file you should just be able to run the game in the normal way. No need to use a batch file.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#42 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

thanks again!  i'll give that a try next chance i get and report back the results.

#43 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

If that doesn't work, one last ditch effort...
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#44 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

i haven't had a chance to test it out yet... but i thought i'd mention that the link you provided in your last post is broken.

#45 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

I think it's this topic. Merging has that effect. :blush:

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#46 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

thanks!

#47 XComFan

XComFan

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

I managed to get the game installed and running fine on Virtual PC 2007 with a Win98SE vm, but my mouse doesn't work in the game.  The mouse works in the VM just fine, and it works in DOS programs if I run mouse.com, but it just doesn't want to work in Apocalypse.

Anyone else have this problem?  I've tried messing around with the pointer integration options, but have not had any luck.

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm using a wireless USB mouse might have something to do with it.  For those of you who have managed to get this working, what kind of mouse are you using?

#48 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

The Christmas avatar is here forever! Muhahaha!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:35 AM

View PostXComFan, on 14th July 2008, 10:41pm, said:

I managed to get the game installed and running fine on Virtual PC 2007 with a Win98SE vm, but my mouse doesn't work in the game.  The mouse works in the VM just fine, and it works in DOS programs if I run mouse.com, but it just doesn't want to work in Apocalypse.

Anyone else have this problem?  I've tried messing around with the pointer integration options, but have not had any luck.

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm using a wireless USB mouse might have something to do with it.  For those of you who have managed to get this working, what kind of mouse are you using?

I'm afraid I haven't encountered that problem. But then, I use dosbox to emulate a dos environment rather than going with VM. I've found dosbox works great for apoc, so maybe you might want to give it a try.
Both Chryssalids AND Lobstermen taste good with butter? What a great deal!

Project Xenocide

#49 XComFan

XComFan

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

View PostCpl. Facehugger, on 15th July 2008, 7:35pm, said:

I'm afraid I haven't encountered that problem. But then, I use dosbox to emulate a dos environment rather than going with VM. I've found dosbox works great for apoc, so maybe you might want to give it a try.

I tried the game with DOSBox 0.72 -- the latest version -- but I can't get the music to work.  I've copied over the MUSIC file, made sure the xcom3.cfg file had the right path (with the space before it), but nothing seems to work.  The regular sound effects work, though.

With Virtual PC 2007, the music works perfectly; it's the mouse that doesn't work.

I can't win.  lol

#50 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

The Christmas avatar is here forever! Muhahaha!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

View PostXComFan, on 16th July 2008, 11:38pm, said:

I tried the game with DOSBox 0.72 -- the latest version -- but I can't get the music to work.  I've copied over the MUSIC file, made sure the xcom3.cfg file had the right path (with the space before it), but nothing seems to work.  The regular sound effects work, though.

With Virtual PC 2007, the music works perfectly; it's the mouse that doesn't work.

I can't win.  lol

Hmm. Have you tried just downloading the apoc music files and plugging them into a media player? Then playing that in the background while slaughtering the alien scum? I mean, it sounds like a lack of mouse is a bit more serious than a lack of music. :blink:
Both Chryssalids AND Lobstermen taste good with butter? What a great deal!

Project Xenocide

#51 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

Okay, got virtual PC and created a virtual disk then ... found out I could hit 'del' to go into the virtual bios... uh, how do I start the Win98SE install?  I have old Win 98 floppy boot disks, but NO 3.5" DRIVE!  Arrrggghhh.  Any ideas?

(this is actually kinda funny)

#52 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

Use a Windows 98 image file (once you attach it I believe the virtual machine boots it automatically or something).

#53 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Greetings, slaughter!

Well, as usual I answered my own question, but it took some searching on the web.  I found some downloadable starters for the virtual floppy image and a starter virtual hard drive.  The virtual hard drive contains only COMMAND.COM, but using th virtual floppy you can then get access to the CD drive and install Windows 98.  I've written it all up in a word document with some screen shots.   I can upload it as a .DOC or as a .RTF (readable with wordpad).

I haven't posted in a while, but I recently wanted to run Apoc and revisited the problems involved.

#54 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

Good stuff! If you can't attach it to the topic, send it to me or one of the other staff members, and we'll do it. Have fun! :laugh:

#55 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

View PostSlaughter, on 12th October 2008, 3:55pm, said:

Good stuff! If you can't attach it to the topic, send it to me or one of the other staff members, and we'll do it. Have fun! :laugh:

Okay to do either of those I need an upload link or an email address.  Any suggestions?   The help here in the forum doesn't say anything about attaching something to the toplc.  Is it called something else?

#56 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

View PostXComFan, on 14th July 2008, 5:41pm, said:

Yes.  I got the same problem.  I'm also going through a KVM, but that also shouldn't matter.  My host OS is XP SP3, what's yours?

#57 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

View PostKoloth, on 13th October 2008, 8:51am, said:

Okay to do either of those I need an upload link or an email address.  Any suggestions?   The help here in the forum doesn't say anything about attaching something to the toplc.  Is it called something else?

In a further attempt to answer my own question, <grin> I figured out that the file area does allow uploads.  I tried uploading "Installing Virtual PC 2007 for XCOM APOC.rtf", which has lots of screen shots and got the following error.  

Error: Uploaded file is larger than the maximum filesize allowed for this type of file.
Allowed size: 2048000
Filesize: 8065458
File type: application/msword
. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin

Okay,  the number of bytes is correct, do I have to split it into four files or is there another way?

BTW the upload form did not show the local path after I did the browse and selected the file.  This made me wonder if it was even going to attempt the upload.

#58 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

Do you really need all those screenshots though? Your file is over 7 MB in size and some people might not be able to download it in a decent timeframe. Zipping it up might compress the file enough to allow an upload too. ;)

This seems better suited to be a site page here as we can format it perfectly and add as many pics as needed to explain things. Then all you would need is a text version of the document (or a version with just a handful of screenies) for people who want to download something. Try emailing me the zipped document and I'll create a site page out of it. :laugh:

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#59 Koloth

Koloth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostZombie, on 13th October 2008, 11:33am, said:

Do you really need all those screenshots though? Your file is over 7 MB in size and some people might not be able to download it in a decent timeframe. Zipping it up might compress the file enough to allow an upload too. ;)

This seems better suited to be a site page here as we can format it perfectly and add as many pics as needed to explain things. Then all you would need is a text version of the document (or a version with just a handful of screenies) for people who want to download something. Try emailing me the zipped document and I'll create a site page out of it. ;)

- Zombie

It's on its way to you.  Let me know if you need anything else.  DANG! forgot to zip it.  I'm just spoiled by big pipes!  :laugh:

#60 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ok, the help document can now be found here in our files section. Thanks Koloth! :laugh:

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users